being repeatly burgled

Lizell

Jan 16, 2015
patience is key - and it's not an easy virtue !

this problem does not go away when people go into care - the tragic paranoia, sundowning , rage and fury may persist followed by charm, common sense and the vision of a once wonderful person! of course, they are still wonderful but it is very wearing trying to reason with someone whose mind has become capable of unguessable twists and turns. It's not even easy not to try to reason. At least as a nurse I can go home after being accused of allowing all and sundry in to steal, wreck the heating system, starve etc. people in my care. this is a reason why I struggle with the notion of CCTV in care homes - I can see the point in cutting down terrible care but the number of people I know who believe the smoke alarms are 'spying' on them is amazing ! One day (please God) there will be an answer to all this ! Meanwhile try to keep smiling everyone - be patent if you can !

Polaris

Feb 5, 2015
I've heard of B12 injections being used in America because elderly patients lost the ability to derive B12 from food in the normal way. It can also affect people who eat little or no animal food and are otherwise in excellent health. The test used was the MMA and it had a good effect on the patients' memory and clearheadedness.

I think I'll be approaching my mum's surgery about this.

You are quite right Rosie. My sister had been vegetarian but also, as we age, stomach acid reduces and the parietal cells cannot easily absorb vitamin B12 from food, resulting in deficiences appearing in the spinal fluid, which untreated will affect the brain and nervous system. The tests are generally unreliable and latest research advises treating neurological symptoms with injections without delay to avoid permanent damage. I would recommend the excellent book, 'Could it be B12? - An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses', written by Sally Pachlok.

Last edited:

Polaris

Feb 5, 2015
hello,

Although mom no longer complains of burglars, she still has her illogical complaints which are the subject of other threads in this forum. Arguments against loss of her driving licence and cat food stocks and shopping and looking after her financial affairs are the big issues now, even though all have working resolutions. So the problem has changed.

The lesson learned was that the burglary reports did stop and these could be due to the steps taken and worth a try for anyone else in this position;

1. The camera gave hard evidence no one was coming over the back garden wall. The loft was a real candidate for camera number two for a while but it wasn't needed, at least so far.

2. The carers made sure she was eating a proper meal a day, which she previously wasn't. She has stopped losing weight although still quite thin now.

3. The carers also made sure she took her tablets, which she previously wasn't. Vitamin B12 was suggested at one point and it is likely the tablets contain this ingredient. They were prescribed by her GP, this is not and over-the-counter treatment.

So a step in the right direction but I wouldn’t go as far as to say problem solved, just different now.

Kevin

GPs normally prescribe Cycobalamin (B12) tablets, which are not as well absorbed as Methylcobalamin sublingual and may not be of sufficient strength to make a real difference. BCHS, UKNEQAS and NICE guidelines all recommend treating neurological symptoms with B12 injections without delay to avoid permanent damage. Injections are better absorbed by the cells, where parietal cells in the stomach have diminished with age. You cannot overdose on B12.

My relative supplements monthly injections with Jarrows Methylcobalamin B12 5000 mcg sublingual, available from Amazon (good reviews)

Last edited: