Care Home

ashleigh40

Mar 29, 2015
Advice needed please. My Dad has become increasing aggressive towards my Mum since hospital discharge last week. I am trying to get him into a Care Home and have been directed to his GP by Social Care for an Urgent visit to help with getting a place. Anyone else had this process? Thank you in advance.

Peanut 90

Jan 11, 2013
Advice needed please. My Dad has become increasing aggressive towards my Mum since hospital discharge last week. I am trying to get him into a Care Home and have been directed to his GP by Social Care for an Urgent visit to help with getting a place. Anyone else had this process? Thank you in advance.

I worked for social services assessing people for placements/ care packages before leaving to look after my parents.
Firstly I would make sure the mental health team can't help your father with medication. Consider a live in carer, we have one for my mother. Don't use an agency or social services or it will cost a fortune. £200 cash in hand plus food & lodging. If you have to put him in a home & his savings (not including your mother's share) is over £23,000 he will have to pay all himself & a dementia home costs in the region of £1000 + a week. You can ask for respite from social services & they will place him for a couple of weeks. My aunt was aggressive but it did pass as she went deeper into her dementia, it changes constantly. If you decide to put him in a home don't be fooled by the looks. Make sure it doesn't smell, staff have worked there for quite long, residents are active, staff ratio to clients is good & of course the place is clean. I hope this has helped, please feel free to contact me if you need more info. Don't rush into anything, there are a lot of options.