Nhs funded nursing care?

yorkshirerosie

Jul 14, 2010
cheshire
Mum has now been switched to nursing emi but I've noticed on a form I have to signed that the social worker has circled that NHS funded nursing care is applicable. I've not had a conversation with the social worker regards to this so I don't know what it means. Since mum was switched to nursing care a 2nd assessment under the mental health act was undertaken and it was decided that the social worker was going to apply for extra funding for additional staff to help manage her but I haven't heard anything back about that , I don't really understand what that means either and whether that entails extra costs for mum?
Since I have very little trust in what the social worker tells me can anyone help to explain any of this?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Funded nursing care (FNC) means that the person has been assessed as requiring the availability of a registered nurse,the nursing home is paid a weekly amount (currently £109.47) to off set the cost of employing nurses.

Be very careful what you sign, you may unwittingly agree to pay a top up, any extra costs necessitated by your Mum's condition should be born by the LA. There is a world of difference between the SW saying they ate applying for extra funding and your Mum actually receiving it.

In theory your Mum should have been assessed for Continuing Health Care (CHC), do you know if this has been done?

yorkshirerosie

Jul 14, 2010
cheshire
the form is for a top up which mum has to pay for the nursing home, she is on deferred payment so she doesn't pay at the moment. I have not been told anything about the continuing healthcare. What should I do?

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I would speak to your Mum's SW as she appeared to be involved in asking for the funding. Perhaps a CHC checklist was completed without your knowledge? If this is the case I strongly think that you should ask the SW to send you a copy of it.

(Sorry if you know this-if the results of a CHC checklist warrants a full assessment and your Mum meets the criteria she will be awarded full funding)

Take care

Lyn T XX

yorkshirerosie

Jul 14, 2010
cheshire
Don't sign anything for the top up while you sort things out.

I am really getting hassle about it and have been told that mums place in the home is in jeopardy . The amount of the top up hasn't changed since mum changed from residential to nursing so I think it's ok . I don't think I even signed a form in the first place.

yorkshirerosie

Jul 14, 2010
cheshire
I would speak to your Mum's SW as she appeared to be involved in asking for the funding. Perhaps a CHC checklist was completed without your knowledge? If this is the case I strongly think that you should ask the SW to send you a copy of it.

(Sorry if you know this-if the results of a CHC checklist warrants a full assessment and your Mum meets the criteria she will be awarded full funding)

Take care

Lyn T XX
Thanks for your help, I know absolutely nothing and have been told nothing by the social worker. I have been contacted twice when an assessment under the mental health act was carried out but that's it. So do I simply need to as the SW for a copy of the CHC checklist?

pat windsor

Mar 27, 2015
keep hassling

my husband is also in a care home I have to pay over £1000 a month whilst waiting for continuing care, no one contacts you it has taken 18 months to get paperwork relating to continuing care and that is after I have phoned every month for ages. You must keep hassling them and ask for a meeting to discuss things so you can understand.

No one seem s to understand the upset and pressure you are under with a loved one in a care home, the guilt and loneliness that is with you and the upset for the whole family.

Good luck I hope you get your continuing care - and me too !! :(

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
As I understand your position is that your Mum has sufficient capital to make her self funding but as this is tied up in a property the LA have put her on a deferred payment scheme. In this case first party top ups, ie by your Mum, are allowed. The top ups represent the difference between the LA tariff and the fee charged by the home you have chosen, this home will presumably be the one you will continue to use when she becomes fully self funding. You should not fund the top ups yourself.

The CHC check list is >>>HERE<<<
The DST (decision support tool) is >>>HERE<<<

The correct process is shown in the attached flowchart.
Note the footnote:-
NB. Eligibility for continuing healthcare must always be considered
before any consideration of eligibility for NHS-funded nursing care

The flowchart is taken from >>>THIS GUIDE TO FNC & CHC<<<

EDIT
You say that your Mum was 'switched to nursing care', this decision should have triggered the CHC process.

Attachments

• 2015-03-27_143520.jpg
    2015-03-27_143520.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,001
Last edited:

yorkshirerosie

Jul 14, 2010
cheshire
Yes the top up is for the room.
I have just spoken to mums RCN who said that she didn't think Mum had triggered a need for a CHC assessment which contradicts your info doesn't it.
What different will the NHS funded or CHC make toward my mums payment
though?

yorkshirerosie

Jul 14, 2010
cheshire
CHC checklist

As I understand your position is that your Mum has sufficient capital to make her self funding but as this is tied up in a property the LA have put her on a deferred payment scheme. In this case first party top ups, ie by your Mum, are allowed. The top ups represent the difference between the LA tariff and the fee charged by the home you have chosen, this home will presumably be the one you will continue to use when she becomes fully self funding. You should not fund the top ups yourself.

The CHC check list is >>>HERE<<<
The DST (decision support tool) is >>>HERE<<<

The correct process is shown in the attached flowchart.
Note the footnote:-

The flowchart is taken from >>>THIS GUIDE TO FNC & CHC<<<

EDIT
You say that your Mum was 'switched to nursing care', this decision should have triggered the CHC process.

I've completed the checklist based on what the nurses have to do for her in the home and from my chat her dementia nurse and I've ticked 5 A's, 1 B and 5 C's. I would have thought that would trigger an assessment!

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I have just spoken to mums RCN who said that she didn't think Mum had triggered a need for a CHC assessment which contradicts your info doesn't it. "

I would argue that it should trigger an assessment, remember

You did say that the box was ticked for FNC.

"What different will the NHS funded or CHC make toward my mums payment
though?"

FNC is paid directly to the home, the home may or may not charge more for a nursing bed, your Mum would retain all her benefits.

CHC means that the NHS (and maybe partly the LA) completely fund a care package in line with the outcome of the DST, your Mum would loose Attendance Allowance and certain other benefits (not DWP pension) after 28 days, it's broadly analogous to being in hospital.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I've completed the checklist based on what the nurses have to do for her in the home and from my chat her dementia nurse and I've ticked 5 A's, 1 B and 5 C's. I would have thought that would trigger an assessment!"

Insist on a checklist being done and argue your points.
Evidence is crucial.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I've completed the checklist based on what the nurses have to do for her in the home and from my chat her dementia nurse

The trouble is that what you have written from your own perspective and what the assessor will write may well be very different. However, you should be involved in the process. A positive checklist result means only that your mother's application will be taken forward for the full assessment via the DST. It doesn't mean that she will necessarily get the funding and even if she does, it can be removed after a time.
Sorry to sound a bit negative but sometimes it sounds like a formality from the way people are advised to apply for it but the full CHC funding is not easily gained - though the Nursing element of funding i.e. £106 or so a week is much more accessible.
Good luck with it and I hope you are successful.

geum123

May 20, 2009
Yes, stick to your guns yorkshirerosie. You know your Mum best.

When a check-list was done for my Dad the various sections were marked down, so that a DST wasn't triggered. I wonder why:rolleyes:

I eventually got all of my Dads care home fees paid back via a solicitor.

Study the CHC checklist and the DST, and if you don't agree with the decisions, then appeal.