I don't know what to do?

U2swan

Mar 13, 2015
London
My sister has Down's Syndrome with early onset dementia. I don't know how to start. Here I go.. She is refusing to eat and drink but to make this situation worse she has a throat infection and now is unable to keep food down. She already Vomited twice. I tried in vain to get her to drink water with sugar added. She gets very angry and aggressive.

Earlier in the day, I did contact our GP and he said there is a bug going around just get her to drink to avoid dehydration. So I am back to square one.

I just don't know what to do? Did I forget to mention she is also extremely stubborn.

I fear she will end up in hospital.

Help please...

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I suggest you try giving her anything you think she might be tempted by to drink, so if her favorite drink is coke for instance, give her that.
Is it your gut feeling that things are not getting better? Is she still vomiting?
you could try to ring 111, though I warn you it may be a longish wait and still end up at A/E.

I am sorry, I can't help more, you know your sister and your knowledge of her normal self is what you can use to judge how she is now.

U2swan

Mar 13, 2015
London
Thank you sistermillicent. My sister will not try any drink. She no longer touch cold drinks only coffee which I brought decaf. I will take your advice and try 111.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I agree with sistermillicent, give her whatever drink it is she likes. Of course, avoid milk and citrus juices as they can be upsetting to the stomach. I do hope she likes soft drinks, the ones with all the sugar in them. You might want to let a glassful stand for a while to get rid of some of the carbonation.

Edited to add: Sorry, cross-posted, didn't realize your sister doesn't like cold drinks.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
let us know how you get on this evening and how your sister is, I hope she manages something to drink eventually, it must be such a worry for you. Would she accept a drink better from someone else? My mum could be very stubborn with us but would cooperate with a stranger immediately

U2swan

Mar 13, 2015
London
Hi sistermillicent ,Canadian Joanne & Cat27, I contacted 111. I am waiting for the doctor to get back to me. In the meantime I should try getting my sister to drink some coffee. Any fluid is fluid.

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
I think your GP may be missing the point--it sounds like your sister is having trouble swallowing, which may mean that reflex is starting to deteriorate. Ask for a SALT assessment.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
How long has your sister been resisting food and drink? You mention that she has lost a lot of weight over the last year.
Do you have any help with or for her, like home support or a day centre?

It sounds to me as if your sister could do with a thorough assessment of her needs.....has this been done? And do you get any help for yourself as a carer? Like a break?

Hope your sister improves soon.

Take care

Lindy xx

HelenInBC

Mar 23, 2013
I'm wondering, is your sister still producing urine? Less frequent and darker urine are signs of dehydration. Also look for dry mouth (inside), and signs of dizziness when standing. If she can't pass urine for more than 8 hours i would suggest taking her to A&E for IV fluids. Have you tried soups or broth?
I hope things are better tomorrow.

U2swan

Mar 13, 2015
London
Update from yesterday

I thank you all for your best wishes and advice so much appreciate it.

My sister had a good night. I managed to get her to drink half a cup of tea. This morning I contacted the hospital because sis was also diagnosed with acute autoimmune neutropenia. The consultant was concerned about her symptoms and I was told bring her in asap. Sister had a blood test and check up. All results were ok. We still have to go back next week for another blood test. In the meantime, I have to take her temperature 3 times a day until the next blood test.

Good news, sis wanted something to eat. I did not mess around we had lunch. I was almost in tears. What a relief. I have even tempted her to have a warm blackcurrant drink in a huge mug when we got home.

I know I should not stress too much but my sisters are my world. (Our little sister is deaf/blind).