Have anyone else gained weight during their time as a carer?

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
Your situation sounds like mine. I was very healthy, especially considering that I am under a chronic cancer watch. So here I am 25 pounds heavier, out of shape, and headed for surgery to ward off another cancer strike. It feels like an endless circle sometimes. My mother, on the other hand, is happy, relatively healthy, and heading for her 97th birthday. It's a real pleasure to see her having such a good life, but her good life has indeed taken its toll on mine. I don't feel resentful, though I guess it might sound that way. I'm mostly amazed at the way things have turned out, sometimes.

So sorry you have cancer to deal with on top of worrying about your mother, hope surgery goes well and you make a speedy recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
That said, when I saw pictures of myself taken at Christmas 2013, I knew I had to do something about it :eek:. It's very hard, but I've lost over a stone since then and am keeping at it. I find the Slimming Club on here

Well done for shifting the weight, I need to do something and soon

Liz57

Dec 22, 2013
Oh Gosh me too and I didn't know there was a slimming club!

With me it's definitely lack of exercise as I simply don't have time or money for the gym any more and I used to walk the dogs miles too but I simply can't be "missing" for so long these days. Even a quick half an hour around the block with the dogs and the mobile phone is ringing! It's ready made sandwiches for lunch and food to tempt mum with (not the stuff I'd usually eat but I have no time to cook separately for me these days) and a glass or three of wine in the evening once she's gone to bed.

I'm very conscious that the added weight adds to the stress levels and I too have turned grey in the last two years, have dreadful skin and bags under my eyes. No wonder mum thinks I'm her mum sometimes (she's 87!).

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
My biggest problem at the moment is lack of sleep. I am constantly trying and failing to sleep better......this is a real issue for me as well as others.

I guess we can only do our best and keep on going on :D xxx[/QUOTE]

I am actually on a CBT sleep course at the moment, feels a bit drastic just right now (into week 2) but will stick with it!

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
Aaarrrggghhhh I can't stop filling my face....I'm sorry to say but I need to quit my carers role otherwise I fear it will kill me

Boldredrosie

Mar 13, 2012
Opposite. I've lost about a stone since my father died and my mother's dementia galloped ahead. My son, on the other hand, who's 16 is eating from Britain and is now obese. I actually have to plan to eat as with the worry about the pair of them food is the last thing on my mind. On the other, G&T and 20 Silk Cut seem like heaven.

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
I've gained weight too since my OHs diagnosis - comfort eating. I had lost over 2 stone but have gained most of it back - not good for my blood pressure. However I am back at one of my keep fit classes now and putting some effort into eating better. I have given up dying my hair and actually quite like the grey now! :eek:

Fastwalker

Apr 27, 2010
Tyne and Wear
My weight gain is partly due to comfort eating, taking anti-depressants and quick ready meals when I got back from the NH after going straight from work to see my mum then getting home around eight. Three months after she died I havent shifted it yet but have given chocolate up for lent again which moved about four pounds last year.
I have been clearing the house and doing probate forms which havent given me alot of time for exercise.
I keep on putting off buying clothes as well

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
So sorry you have cancer to deal with on top of worrying about your mother, hope surgery goes well and you make a speedy recovery

Thank you, Kazza. The thing that is in my thoughts mostly is that I know what I'm likely to die from, and I even have a sense that I will not live as long as my mother is living. But I also feel sometimes that if my life were less pressured, I'd have more time to cook more healthily and certainly to get the exercise I need. Thank you for your good wishes.

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Yep,I've put about 3 stone on too since being full time carer too,think the lack of everyday things such as walking to the shops,gardening and stuff hasn't helped,most of my "free" time is spent trying to catch up on lost sleep and overdosing on coffee with plenty of sugar to boost my energy. Perhaps our Gp,s will take note before there's a carers epidemic!

Chrismitch

Jun 23, 2011
Cut out the wine and g&t! They cause weight gain, depression, cancer and other health problems. Find another source of dopamine.
I lost 26kg just after diagnosis of OH then put it all back on again.
I am now doing a three week online course where I am rewiring my brain so that it becomes a thin woman's brain! Very time consuming but I already eat half as much as I did before! It really works - so far so good.
You can get DVDs of workouts with fantastic music - put it on loud and dance! Or golden oldies!
Re dopamine - how about a soak in the bath? Listen to an audible book? Look at pictures of art or people laughing? Watch or listen to a comedy programme?
I write myself notes now - no one else will do it - saying well done Chris, you coped with 'that' really well, you look great today, you are an achiever, well done! Etc. stupid but it helps.
Happy WOW day!

Varandas

Sep 2, 2013
Hampshire England
Cut out the wine and g&t! They cause weight gain, depression, cancer and other health problems. Find another source of dopamine.
I lost 26kg just after diagnosis of OH then put it all back on again.
I am now doing a three week online course where I am rewiring my brain so that it becomes a thin woman's brain! Very time consuming but I already eat half as much as I did before! It really works - so far so good.
You can get DVDs of workouts with fantastic music - put it on loud and dance! Or golden oldies!
Re dopamine - how about a soak in the bath? Listen to an audible book? Look at pictures of art or people laughing? Watch or listen to a comedy programme?
I write myself notes now - no one else will do it - saying well done Chris, you coped with 'that' really well, you look great today, you are an achiever, well done! Etc. stupid but it helps.
Happy WOW day!

I am trying (very hard) however when dementia 'screams' I have to get back and just do it. Recently had two weeks break that was fantastic. Felt good, fit, happy, free, good food, lots of sunshine, laughter... but I came back to reality and am trying to find the WOW during the day!

ps1.- this is one the few posts I find that is caring for the carer - without the comments on this dreadful blasted illness! - Sorry I am not having a good day/week. This morning before the day and its negativity started, I was planning some patchwork and cross stitch embroidery... now the 'same everyday' took over.

ps2.- I am sticking notes around the house to remind me that I don't yet have Alzheimer's and that No good Deed goes Unpunished!

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi all :)

Wow, kazza you have opened a hornet's nest of carer distress here!:eek:

Chrismitch, can I ask you what your online course is, please?

Too exhausted to say more but sending love to all

Lindy xx

PS Like you Varandas I had a break recently, came back feeling like a different person, but am now sinking fast again....

Last edited:

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
I am trying (very hard) however when dementia 'screams' I have to get back and just do it. Recently had two weeks break that was fantastic. Felt good, fit, happy, free, good food, lots of sunshine, laughter... but I came back to reality and am trying to find the WOW during the day!

ps1.- this is one the few posts I find that is caring for the carer - without the comments on this dreadful blasted illness! - Sorry I am not having a good day/week. This morning before the day and its negativity started, I was planning some patchwork and cross stitch embroidery... now the 'same everyday' took over.

ps2.- I am sticking notes around the house to remind me that I don't yet have Alzheimer's and that No good Deed goes Unpunished!

Aww. Sending you empathy and sympathy! x

TDA

Mar 3, 2015
I have only been living with my mum who has dementia since Dec 14. I've been 56 kgs all my adult life (I'm 45 now) and all of a sudden I'm 61 kgs!

Slippery Slope!!!!!

Mossyanne1

Feb 10, 2015
I have been looking after my hubby since 2007 (he has alzheimers) and I just cannot stop eating. Just had a large bar of chocolate, it was just lovely, my weight gain has gone from a size14 to a size 18. I don't seem to have any motivation or a life. Sometimes I feel as though I am in a cage and just want to escape. Sounds awful doesn't it but sometimes I just feel like being pampered. Whatever I do for my poor old hubby there is just no feedback or thanks. Sometimes things seem pointless. Not depressed but generally fed up. HENCE THE WEIGHT GAIN. It is now 7pm and I am expected to go to bed with him. Hey Ho!!!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
7pm? Poor you. My mum has been trying to go to bed since 2pm. She is going to bed shortly once she's finished her dinner, I cleaned her room and changed bedding...but that a whole other post grim to say the least :(

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
I purposely had not bought chocolate today...I'll do the lot if it's in the house. Mini eggs area thing at the moment, toast and marmalade is another weakness...I could just eat and eat and eat, doesn't help that I spend most of the day sitting in the kitchen....and it's sooooo hard getting up from the chair, I need to sort myself out and stop the bingeing...good weather on the way, I should start walking more