it is such a shock and so sudden

Smithlette

Nov 2, 2014
Bournemouth
My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers nearly 4 years ago. It has been a fast decline for her. Much faster than we all expected. She has been in hospital for the last two and a half weeks. She is now unresponsive, very rarely opens her eyes or talks. Hardly ever eats or drinks. The hospital have now said there is nothing medically they can do. So we now need to find a care home for her. The doctor advised it may only be weeks or possibly months that she has left. It has come so sudden and has knocked the stuffing out of us all. I am not sure why i am posting this other than i needed to talk. She is only 70 and it seems so you.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read about your mum. She is indeed so young to be suffering in this way. You must be suffering too. I hope you find somewhere suitable for her to be moved to. Wishing you strength and your mum peace.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Oh smithlette. I'm so sorry to read about your Mum.Have you considered hospice care? Perhaps speak to the ward manager at the hospital? I have no experience of hospices but I'm sure others will be along soon with some advice regarding what steps you could take to keep your Mum comfortable,

Take care of yourself

Lyn T XX

Lady in blue

Mar 6, 2015
Sheffield
I'm so sorry to hear the news.
Have you asked for the Palliative Care team to see her whilst she is in hospital ?
They can advise the medical staff and follow her through when she is moved to community care.
Is she on an 'end of life pathway' ? This has been given a lot of bad press over the past few years but, when followed appropriately, can be very helpful.
Take care .

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman