how to carers over come depression and tiredness

Vancouver

Feb 24, 2015
Hi Carers
I work full time and I have moved my mum who has Vasuclar Dementia in our home. Mum has been with us over three weeks and I am finding it really difficult to get a good night sleep.
I wonder how you all cope with the night time activities...any advise would be much appreciated.

Thank you

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
How to make it possible to manage dementia.

Lack of sleep is the breaking point for most carers and had me in tears several times - I am a strong person normally and not given to hysterics. My GP didn't hesitate when I told her and gave my husband Zopiclone which was excellent at first but after a couple of months Trazodone was added. A few months after that a second dose of Trazodone was added so now he has Trazadone in the early afternoon which reduces the sundowning effect and then last thing at night the Trazadone and Zopiclone together. On a normal night he now sleeps from around 11 pm until 7 am.

It took a couple of weeks each time to get the new routine established but the result is that I can cope much better which has to be good for both of us. Yes, he is slightly sedated but he is not at risk of getting up several times a night and going out.

Vancouver

Feb 24, 2015
Lack of sleep is the breaking point for most carers and had me in tears several times - I am a strong person normally and not given to hysterics. My GP didn't hesitate when I told her and gave my husband Zopiclone which was excellent at first but after a couple of months Trazodone was added. A few months after that a second dose of Trazodone was added so now he has Trazadone in the early afternoon which reduces the sundowning effect and then last thing at night the Trazadone and Zopiclone together. On a normal night he now sleeps from around 11 pm until 7 am.

It took a couple of weeks each time to get the new routine established but the result is that I can cope much better which has to be good for both of us. Yes, he is slightly sedated but he is not at risk of getting up several times a night and going out.

Thank you for you information...I have to get my mum up in the morning and give her breakfast and fruit...how did you find your husband in the morning? was he able to walk etc? My mum is unsteady on her feet but I am like yourself starting to cry and feel depressed. I know the tiredness isn't helping. Its only been three weeks and I feel
so sad... I work full time and I know its starting to effect me at work. I will call my doctor for help... Thanks again

jimbosmith

May 10, 2013
My mum also has Zopiclone. I am not a fan of the meds available but hats off as Zopiclone works. Unfortunately you can only use it 5 nights in every 7, so you may have a couple of bad nights a week if you get it prescribed.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
John was not restricted to 5 nights but we were told the effects would weaken over time hence the Trazodone too. He is slow in the mornings but not exceptionally so for a man of 82 with AD and a bad knee. I give him plenty of time. I cannot see any other effects which weren't present to some extent before.

skaface

Jul 18, 2011
Ramsgate
I am on 45mg of Mirtazapine nightly which really knocks me out for the night.

I first started taking it in 2012 when I was trying to get my mum helped and diagnosed - she was accusing me of everything under the sun and of lying to her doctor about her, and I ended up so stressed I went to my own GP in desperation and she didn't hesitate to prescribe me an anti depressant. What also didn't help, which is what I assume is common to most female carers of a parent with dementia, is that I was just about starting the menopause and had all that to contend with as well

It keeps me on an even keel, but I have a very stressful time coming up (mum's first careers going in on Monday, even though she agreed to it, she will deny it to her last breath) and I hope they see me through!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa