p i p confused?

briana

May 23, 2011
south wales
im a little confused with this p I p ,,,,, I applied on behalf of c. ( my hubby )already on dla but his condition has deteriated. (spelling?)
I telephoned them in October to ask for a form the usual questions were asked about him.. and I waited for the forms,,,,,,, and waited ,,,,,,and waited,,,,,
Beginning of December I telephoned them again to ask about applying for pip and why I wasn't sent the application forms,, to be told "oh sorry I cannot understand why you haven't been sent the forms , I,ll deal with it" so I,ve waited,,,,,,and waited,,,,, and yep still haven't received them????
Do you have to fill in the forms to be awarded? they did ask an awful lot of questions when I first applied via phone. Why haven't I received the forms? strange eh,, Im not very good at benefit application's, our support worker and social worker usually help me. Any ideas? bb x

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi, all I can say is chase them up again. I had the telephone interview yesterday and they said more forms would be through in a fortnight. If not, phone the enquiry line.
My problem is that mine is a DLA to PIP transfer. She appeared to be telling me that if I didn't qualify for PIP, the DLA would stop, even though I have a letter saying it is okay until May. That money pays for gardener and cleaner, not sure where the money will come from if no PIP! Obviously OH can't do it, he's the one with dementia. Problems, problems!

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
We finally received PIP2 form for my OH after weeks of badgering DWP. Whenever I said how unacceptable it was that I should have to keep chasing as I had quite enough on my plate already, they said it is OK because the claim would be backdated to the date on which I asked for the form in the first place! Yes OK, but........ Keep on phoning them or better still, get someone at CAB, Age Concern or someone to do it on your behalf. Sorry to add this final comment, but now we have had, completed and returned the for, a letter came to acknowledge receipt saying it would be up to 26 weeks for them to make a decision whether my OH was eligible!! Defies belief I know. Good luck! Please let us know how you get on. X:)

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
if you are already on dla wouldn't this just be a change of circumstances,have you explained this to them,if you've just asked for a pip form the system wouldn't accept you need one because of being an existing claimant,that might be the problem,just a thought.

briana

May 23, 2011
south wales
hi all, well received the forms this morning, it is a transfer from dla to pip,, the form has to be back with them 30 January. so not long to get all the evidence needed, ive emailed cpn sw, clinic to ask for copies of all the medical evidence they can give me, so head down when I get chance and get filling, I am preparing for the wait after, my concern is if hubby has to go somewhere for an assessment,, he wont stay there! cpn took him for a blood test yesterday and as he had to wait a while to be seen he walked out, he gets very anxious waiting, and around people, so I now have to try and arrange for a nurse to call to our home to do the blood test. And to top all that, ive just had notification that the direct payment has been approved so trying to sort those forms, open a new bank account etc,,,, so much stress.. any info about pip assessment would be grateful, bb

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
I applied for mother in law (aged 56) 3 weeks ago. I have had a form regarding being appointee so I can deal with the PIP but no PIP form.
At the moment the benefits people keep sending paperwork to my mum in laws house and she loses the letters.

I am getting frustrated with the whole system passing me around to various agencies so have enlisted the help from social services, they are coming to visit me today.

leicester61

Aug 26, 2012
Leicestershire
hi all, well received the forms this morning, it is a transfer from dla to pip,, the form has to be back with them 30 January. so not long to get all the evidence needed, ive emailed cpn sw, clinic to ask for copies of all the medical evidence they can give me, so head down when I get chance and get filling, I am preparing for the wait after, my concern is if hubby has to go somewhere for an assessment,, he wont stay there! cpn took him for a blood test yesterday and as he had to wait a while to be seen he walked out, he gets very anxious waiting, and around people, so I now have to try and arrange for a nurse to call to our home to do the blood test. And to top all that, ive just had notification that the direct payment has been approved so trying to sort those forms, open a new bank account etc,,,, so much stress.. any info about pip assessment would be grateful, bb

Sorry briana, wished id seen ur post earlier. You can actually insist that they come to your home to assess. I did for my OH as going somewhere else would have been far to upsetting and confusing for him, i also made sure that i am down as the person who speaks on behalf of him, he does not like answering questions as again he gets confused.
hope this info is not to late for you to make use of
suz x

mumbasi

Sep 1, 2013
Get in touch with your MP.
The government are responsible for all these changes and they should help get them sorted out.
I was at my wits end trying to get my sister PIP, her MP had it sorted in one week and no assessment interview required.

All the best.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Just yesterday, spent over 2 hours with expert form filler from AgeUK to fill in PIP forms. She knows us, as she did my DLA and OHs AA higher two years ago. Today, had a letter to say nasty things will happen if form not returned, they only give you a month to do form. I spent ages photocopying it this am - it runs to 40 pages, though not all are relevant to me. Will post tomorrow.
Good luck everybody!

Last edited:

briana

May 23, 2011
south wales
update

afternoon all,
Well had a reply from the personal independence people and it seems they have assessed hubby without face to face or anything else, He has been awarded enhanced rate of both within 2 weeks of sending form back. That's the good news,
BUT first off they have cancelled his dla from 17 march (ok knew this would happen) and pip starts on the 18 march, all good so far,,,,,, 1st point: I had requested the application form back in October but did not receive it until January, you don't get any back dated payments if you are transferring from dla to pip, ( seems unfair that I waited nearly 3 months to actually receive the application form) 2nd point: my carers stopped I had 3 weeks payment put into bank a week earlier than expected, so I phoned the dwp ( I really have not got the time or energy for trying to get whats due us ) they said my payment dates have now changed due to dla finishing and pip starting, so have to wait until 23 march for my carers allowance, 3rd point : I cannot find out when /how much my first pip payments will be and what dates thereafter as the customer service people I spoke to says they do not send letters anymore informing you of this. Dla is due this tues, but for how much and how many weeks is pure guess work, I have direct debits that go out and other payments to ensure are dealt with ( private carers another story!), anybody have any knowledge of how to work these dates out please, I really thought I was done with all these battles when hubby was diagnosed, Im trying not to show I am stressed as it does impact on my hubby, feel like crying, its so hard trying to do all this legwork on your own. xx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I've now had information that I have to have medical sometime in the next 26 weeks! And then they have to make a decision. Another letter to say DLA will continue until pip sorted. But where does that leave my blue badge?
With my health changing rapidly I must remember that it's based on how I was on the day the first form was filled in. I really don't need this!

briana

May 23, 2011
south wales
stress

I've now had information that I have to have medical sometime in the next 26 weeks! And then they have to make a decision. Another letter to say DLA will continue until pip sorted. But where does that leave my blue badge?
With my health changing rapidly I must remember that it's based on how I was on the day the first form was filled in. I really don't need this!
hi spamar,
Its so stressful and worrying trying to wade through the forever changing form filling, hopefully you'll have a decision soon without the need for a medical/face to face. The blue badge should be easier to access now thanks to the input of the Alzheimer society, Hubby has his renewed whilst on the lower rate of mobility due to the nature of his illness.
If you are transferring from dla to pip be aware you may not get back payment for the wait! I've browsed this topic in detail and it does seem as though you are only paid from one month after the date of transfer, Does not seem very fair, but there's nothing fair in us as carers having to struggle through all this, I so wish I could go back to 2 of us working and bringing in a wage with no stress like this,, xx bb

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Thanks briana, definitely got to have medical. Letter yesterday said DLA would carry on til pip result known, but bb comes from higher rate mobility DLA. I shall have to sweet talk local authority!
May be six months before I need to worry about gap between DLA and pip.
How complicated it all is!