need to talk

vonvonvon

Mar 1, 2015
morning all, I hope i'm posting this in the right forum.
I'm 51 & diagnosed with an MCI (basically pre dementia) nearly 8 months ago, its progressing, I've had a really frustrating week & could really do with someone to talk to

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi vonvonvon, it's good that you found us, there is usually someone around at all hours of day and night.
I feel sorry for you, it's a lot to come to terms with, but I am sure that someone with the same condition will be along soon ( I care for my husband or OH, other half) who has mixed dementia).
Any questions, just ask.
Good luck!

vonvonvon

Mar 1, 2015
Hi Spamar.
Thanks for the nice message, sounds like your OH is lucky to have you
Its the 1st time I've ventured on here today, all a bit overwhelming tbh

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Welcome vonvonvon, although I'm sorry to hear your diagnosis. However, you have come to exactly the right place for advice, emotional support, to vent and just plain chat about anything and everything (take a look at the Tea Room!)

I hope you find the site and its members as great as I do :)

Keep posting! Nothing is too trivial or bizarre to ask about, and many of the members will have been there too, so don't be afraid to ask.

:)

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi vonvovnvon
Is there anything specific you want to talk about? My wife was diagnosed quite young like you, there's never a good time to get diagnosed but early 50's! sorry to hear it.
K

vonvonvon

Mar 1, 2015
Thank you all for the lovely messages,
There are no support groups locally aimed at my age group so just feeling isolated after a bad week, I seem to of gone downhill since Xmas & I'm so damn frustrated with myself
I guess I'm just not sure how to move forward in a positive way (I'm watching the diet & exercising more) anybody have any positive practical advice ??
:eek:

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Hi vonvonvon

I play computer games to keep my mind exercised, I am dieting but don't think anyone can see the difference I taks a tablespoon of codliver oil every night (whell when I remember!)
This week has been a bad week but they vary from day to day I think I need to go out for a walk tomorrow if the weather is better.
my motto is 'don't curse the darkness light a candle' easy to say not always easy to do

Hope you will find support and friendship here

Sarah

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It's a bit of a thing vonx3 when you weren't born (like you) until after; the war was over, the Beatles had become famous, and we'd been to the moon, powdered egg had stopped being a luxury food and everyone bought the Radio Times (then used it as loo paper a week later).
Eventually care will recognise that these days there's more Frank Zappa fans than Frank Sinatra ones, that hoodies are the new cardies and we usually do M&S with the letters the other way round (not a mistake to make you want to make if you buy your pants from C&A).
Even my (late) mother couldn't hack the bingo and Vera Lynn (at 85) let alone my wife 30 odd years younger so we don't bother, it has nothing to offer.
I appreciate that the average age of those affected is maybe older than you were diagnosed and my wife too and so that's what they cater for which is a shame.
K

vonvonvon

Mar 1, 2015
Morning Kev,
Thanks for making me smile :eek:)

Morning Sarah
Already play some computer games in the hope it would help the dexterity as I see it failing in work, I'm pleased to hear that wasn't a daft idea of mine (as if) LOL

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Morning Kev,
Thanks for making me smile :eek:)

Morning Sarah
Already play some computer games in the hope it would help the dexterity as I see it failing in work, I'm pleased to hear that wasn't a daft idea of mine (as if) LOL

I have found computer games useful for spatial awareness, multi tasking etc and word games have helped my speech. In fact I am giving a dementia friends talk on 20th March! So I recommend them!

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
Focus in the good stuff such as family and friends my mil is 56 and we just have a good old laugh. She gets embarrassed when people point out her repetitive phrases so we ignore them and concentrate on living in the moment.

I take her everywhere there's youth my pantomimes, my daughter's school activities, out for lunch with a glass of wine, took her to London to see a show (although she can't recall it, she recalls that it was a good day).
She too is frustrated by the lack of groups for younger people with dementia.
I am also conscious that she remains as independent as possible so drop her off and wait in car while she does her shopping. The last thing she wants is to be patronised.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Focus in the good stuff such as family and friends my mil is 56 and we just have a good old laugh. She gets embarrassed when people point out her repetitive phrases so we ignore them and concentrate on living in the moment.

I take her everywhere there's youth my pantomimes, my daughter's school activities, out for lunch with a glass of wine, took her to London to see a show (although she can't recall it, she recalls that it was a good day).
She too is frustrated by the lack of groups for younger people with dementia.
I am also conscious that she remains as independent as possible so drop her off and wait in car while she does her shopping. The last thing she wants is to be patronised.
what a wonderful DIL you are wish there were more people like you

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976