Friends and family?

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
I'd be happy if one of my so called friends would even just ask me out for a coffee...I'm only 42...I'm not dead! Jesus anyone would think I had Ebola. A text with the words "how are you?" Would be a start...but nothing. Done with them. My problem is in the past I have been too generous...to a fault I would say, I sometimes think I must be the biggest mug going

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

chrisdee

Nov 23, 2014
Yorkshire
Totally agree with all that's been said so far. I use the drip, drip method with friends, ie a little bit of information each time, so that the story builds up bit by bit. the most understanding are those that are or have been in the caring game themselves. Those caring for non-dementia relatives share some of our issues. Repetitions, constantly on the phone, carers not turning up and the bone-weariness of it all and not feeling that your life is your own anymore. Also, I have recently realised that those who have done some dementia caring, often say nothing much as the future is all too awful to contemplate and they don't want to depress me.

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
I'd be happy if one of my so called friends would even just ask me out for a coffee...I'm only 42...I'm not dead! Jesus anyone would think I had Ebola. A text with the words "how are you?" Would be a start...but nothing. Done with them. My problem is in the past I have been too generous...to a fault I would say, I sometimes think I must be the biggest mug going

You have made me giggle Kazza! I got the following text from a so called friend on Saturday 'how's things?'.
Well, where do I start? So I just replied 'so so' and I got t 'ditto' back!
:mad:
Said friend has no dependants, is financially secure and does not work. Then I thought what is the point of a text? I wish she hadn't bothered because I know know she is looking for attention but I'm all out of energy to support someone else

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
You have made me giggle Kazza! I got the following text from a so called friend on Saturday 'how's things?'.
Well, where do I start? So I just replied 'so so' and I got t 'ditto' back!
:mad:
Said friend has no dependants, is financially secure and does not work. Then I thought what is the point of a text? I wish she hadn't bothered because I know know she is looking for attention but I'm all out of energy to support someone else

Ha...yes I know a couple of those types too...they "show concern" and turn it around so it's about them lol. That's fine though. Everyone needs support but I doubt I will be so helpful when my life as a carer is over. The word ditto would have blooming annoyed me lol.

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014

God Kazza72 your post sounds just like me !!!! I'm only 42 and like you all I want is for a friend to pop in for a brew and a chat. Say hello to my dad and spend some time with me to distract me from what is going on. It never happens but when something is going on in their lives I am always there for them.........like you say 'must be the biggest mug going' !! Could rant about this forever......if we lived near each other I would come and meet you x

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
Bless you stresshead...I wish we were geographically closer...it would be so nice to be able to have time out and chill out with someone who knows exactly what you're going through :)

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
I'm fuming tonight due to the opposite problem. Friends who think they know best and are telling my father's doctors what they think should happen. Butt out unless you're prepared to do the day-in/day-out, 24/7 detail and stress. A fortnightly visit doesn't qualify you to deliver an opinion to the authorities. Grrr. :mad:

Wildlife

Jun 19, 2012
Sheffield
I find quite a few people ask how things are, but most of them don't really want to know. I also worry that, when someone is genuinely interested, I go overboard with information - a bit like opening the floodgates & I don't know when to stop. I think I'm so immersed in the day to day caring that I can't decide what to tell them about. They either get a torrent of information or a "Much the same'" reply.

Maymab

Oct 8, 2013
Staffs
I am joining the Club! I spent a two hour lunch with a few friends the other day and my poor dear husband's name was not mentioned once even though they knew him well as we all shared an interest. Fortunately we have other friends who are very supportive.

stu100

Feb 4, 2015
Birmingham
It's like nobody wants to know thay don't realise it helps to tallk I have good frends at work thay ask how is Mrs Brown as she is like the tv Mrs Brown

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Thanks for replies. Had a good day as had support from a family member who took my husband out for a walk whilst I had a lunch with a friend as her birthday. Sometimes it seems all or nothing. Still find its a struggle to talk to others about everyday day stuff and yet I think I listen to their stuff. The difference is I can't lean on my husband who has the Alzheimer's! I think, its just the way it is these days where most people have had enough of problems so don't find it that interesting to hearing about caring for someone with Alzheimer's and how it affects everyday living for the carer too and may be rest of family.

Oh well, I least I try!!!

Reds

Summerheather

Feb 22, 2015
Last year a pair of so called friends visited us in the house, it was Spring time - and the husband looked at my Mum and said several times to her 'Happy Christmas'. Honest, I was so shocked I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was so angry.

I seriously think some people don't realise that Alzheimer's is a cruel terminal disease.

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
Last year a pair of so called friends visited us in the house, it was Spring time - and the husband looked at my Mum and said several times to her 'Happy Christmas'. Honest, I was so shocked I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was so angry.

I seriously think some people don't realise that Alzheimer's is a cruel terminal disease.

I know exactly what you mean...some people assume it's just about forgetting things, others mock ... A lot are sympathetic but just don't get it. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, whether to suffer from it or to care for someone with it

stu100

Feb 4, 2015
Birmingham
I have lived with canser and now Dementia I don't say it lightly but Dementia is so hard and normally last longer.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
It can be so lonely, can't it, especially weekends when you know people are busy?

Most friends evaporate for some reason or another, but I don't think its always because they don't care. More likely, as others have said, they truly do not understand Dementia, and one thing that must be done is to increase awareness...hopefully some recent films will go part way to spread awareness...and I think there need to be more....If we can stand shocking behaviour, violence, bad language and unchecked bad temper in some films, why not something NO HOLDS BARRED about Dementia.?

My kindest and most understanding friend is someone whose husband is further ahead on the Dementia pathway. She's been through hell, and yet she holds out an encouraging hand to me! My other best supporter is my sister in law who has worked in Social care, and nothing surprises or shocks her; she's seen it all!
Others think they understand, but can't even imagine why I can't talk frankly on the phone....because my husband is standing beside me and any hint of a complaint in my conversation would result in him getting very angry afterwards! Some people think they're being helpful suggesting that we meet for a coffee....but recently my husband has been getting confused and upset if I go out, even for an hour.

In our village there is a weekly open invitation for Carers and anyone disabled in any way, to get together for coffee and cake. My husband has resisted going so far, because he doesn't see himself as having Dementia, but if you could find anything like that, I think that's where you might meet people who would understand, because some may have lived with dementia themselves.

I hope you find some understanding friends soon. They are out there.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan