Re: Support network, huh! What support network.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Vonvee. You've been through so much. I felt exactly the same when my mum was at home. Everything was left to me, emotionally and physically. My brother couldn't cope with what was happening to mum and my husband tended to glaze over when I mentioned another drama involving mum. Even with 4 carers it was extremely hard and I gradually felt like I was drowning. It's not selfish, it's self preservation. You must get help.

I went to see my GP about something else and immediately burst into tears. I told her everything, she was so supportive. She advised me and made me feel I had someone to talk to who understood. I decided to try anti-depressants which I have been on now for a year. There are other options, as has been suggested, and there could be something that will help. Please try to get help for yourself.

Mum is now in a care home. I don't feel as though the full weight of responsibility is on me but I get an enormous amount of support here on TP.

I understand how you feel xxx

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Hello VonVee,

Just wanted to say I hear you!
I'm in a very similar situation myself,only child,my dad died some years ago and here iam left caring for my 84 yr old mum with mixed dementia. Been a pretty dark few months for both of us to say the least and I'm not a ashamed to say at all that this is not something I imagined my life to be. Feel sorry for my mum,feel sorry for myself,yes I guess so,I'm not the smiling all shining ray of human kindness at all,I get where you're at I really do,and I'd like to just say,hey it's ok,we are real people with our own feelings and it's ok to feel the way we do because we aren't saints or martyrs and nobody's going to make it better for us,so I guess we are fully paid up members of the entitled club ok?!
Take care and feel free to share anytime xx

Neph

Jan 27, 2014
Oh hun I so know how you feel. This place has manged to keep me sane. Just remember to look after yourself and know that you are not alone.