Vulnerable Mum

Carma

Feb 12, 2015
Stourbridge
Hi. New member here.
My mother has just been diagnosed with dementia- Alzheimer's disease. She is in her eighties and her short term memory for everyday events, which has been poor for a long while has deteriorated rapidly.
While she didn't seem phased by the news, broken to her very gently by an empathetic consultant, I don't think she has grasped the implications.
We are a supportive family but she is adamant that she is fine, although she has problems remembering to eat and coping with everyday things like remembering to put on clean clothes.
Mum lives alone but she has help every day from care assistants although she insists anyone has ever been:( Even despite daily entries in her care book.
Lately she takes out money then does not know what has happened to it but does not want to talk about it. We are very worried someone is entering the house but she is forgetting it.She is so vulnerable.
Is a granny cam a justified?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Your mum probably wont understand the implication of a dementia diagnosis, but I wouldnt worry her about it. Mum has never understood that she has AD and thinks there is nothing wrong with her (despite AD, atrial fibrillation, kidney failure, glaucoma.......).

I never used a granny cam and I dont know if there are legal implications, but IMO this seems a good idea in this circumstance.

Bear in mind that she may be squirreling the money away. We found £400 altogether, in notes, in various handbags and another £300 wrapped up in her knickers!!! :eek:

Edit to say - not the knickers she was wearing - the clean ones in her knicker drawer, fortunately.

Last edited:

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
She probably is hiding it away, but I see no harm having cameras at front and rear doors, at the very least you'll be able to see who is entering her property. Don't know about the legal side with regards to care staff, but someone on here will know.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Your mum probably wont understand the implication of a dementia diagnosis, but I wouldnt worry her about it. Mum has never understood that she has AD and thinks there is nothing wrong with her (despite AD, atrial fibrillation, kidney failure, glaucoma.......).

I never used a granny cam and I dont know if there are legal implications, but IMO this seems a good idea in this circumstance.

Bear in mind that she may be squirreling the money away. We found £400 altogether, in notes, in various handbags and another £300 wrapped up in her knickers!!! :eek:

Edit to say - not the knickers she was wearing - the clean ones in her knicker drawer, fortunately.

Colleague of mine found over £2000 hidden away in an uncle's flat after he died. He had dementia and had hidden most of it inside or in between newspapers and magazines - there were piles and piles of them. I would say check absolutely everything before throwing ANYthing away, check bins, cornflake packets, you name it. Hiding money - often in very strange places - is very common and the person will often not remember doing it, let alone where they put it.

I would agree that the granny cam is a good idea for your peace of mind. I do hope it is a case of hiding rather than any unscrupulous person taking advantage, though sadly that is not exactly unknown, either.

ASH74

May 18, 2014
After an attempted break in at my FIL's the police with the council fitted a camera that records for 36 hours (I think?) then rewrites on the memory, only the police can access the images......it may be worth talking to the local crime prevention officer to see if your Mum's area has a similar scheme.

We have been very lucky with the support we have got, FIL has had telecare fitted with an emergency button at the front door and linked in fire alarm, as well as the one the fire brigade put in after a fire safety check.

Regarding money do you have POA in place, might be an idea.

All the best.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Colleague of mine found over £2000 hidden away in an uncle's flat after he died. He had dementia and had hidden most of it inside or in between newspapers and magazines - there were piles and piles of them. I would say check absolutely everything before throwing ANYthing away, check bins, cornflake packets, you name it. Hiding money - often in very strange places - is very common and the person will often not remember doing it, let alone where they put it.

I would agree that the granny cam is a good idea for your peace of mind. I do hope it is a case of hiding rather than any unscrupulous person taking advantage, though sadly that is not exactly unknown, either.

Not just money either. All sorts of valuable things have been found hidden in all sorts of places - my favourite was the gold necklace found at the bottom of the tea caddy!!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Not just money either. All sorts of valuable things have been found hidden in all sorts of places - my favourite was the gold necklace found at the bottom of the tea caddy!!

Now had it been the coffee jar it would have been Gold Blend!:rolleyes:

Sorry!!:D

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Is a granny cam a justified?
I have no problems with the use of cameras so I would say yes. The main problem is that if there is more than one room then you may need more than one. A simple camera monitoring the front door should show if someone is going in apart from the carers.

If you have a old mobile phone handy that has an sd card in, download one of the many voice recording apps that skip silence and leave the phone on charge somewhere near the front door. A bit of a pain to listen back to but a free programme like "Audacity" will show you sound wave peaks so you can skip to the relevant bits.

Good Luck:)

Carma

Feb 12, 2015
Stourbridge

Many thanks. Much cheered by image of large squirrel with clean knickers full of notes.:)

Carma

Feb 12, 2015
Stourbridge
I have no problems with the use of cameras so I would say yes. The main problem is that if there is more than one room then you may need more than one. A simple camera monitoring the front door should show if someone is going in apart from the carers.

If you have a old mobile phone handy that has an sd card in, download one of the many voice recording apps that skip silence and leave the phone on charge somewhere near the front door. A bit of a pain to listen back to but a free programme like "Audacity" will show you sound wave peaks so you can skip to the relevant bits.

Good Luck:)

Thank you so much for your sensible advice and kind support

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
My MIL also hides money all over the place, most of it just seems to disappear into the ether. Really not looking forward to clearing the flat when we need to...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joins