Do LA have to be told about house sale?

imnotloony

Aug 14, 2011
Kent
Mum has been in CH since August and has fully settled in, thankfully. Her house has been rented out but it not working out financially and have decided, reluctantly that it will have to be sold to cover the care home fees. As Mum has been self-funding, do the LA need to be told that her house is now going to be sold, or do we wait till the proceeds of the sale approach £23.5k, assuming she is still living there? If and when that time comes, then LA would hopefully start contributing to the CH fees.

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
Well if I can help by saying that Mum is self funding and we sold her house to put funds in the bank to pay for her stay in residential care. If the Local Authority are not paying your Mum's fees or contributing to them , then really it is nowt to do with them. The only thing you must do is give the name and address of the person purchasing the property to enable them to charge them for Council Tax in the future. I assume that the property is now empty in which case you should not be paying (or rather Mum) Council Tax. You probably have to when renting it out but I am not sure of that. So have a word with them about the property being empty. It may save Mum a few bob. Unless the rules have changed since 2012.

pippop1

Apr 8, 2013
In our area, a London Borough, council tax is payable on empty properties (didn't used to be) so when MIL moved into a CH (self funding) she went from paying no council tax (as she was exempt because of dementia) to paying it, until it was rented out. From then on the tenants paid.

imnotloony

Aug 14, 2011
Kent
Thanks for the comments.
Pottingshed: The LA is not paying her fees so I agree with you that it is nothing to do with them. It's just that OH thinks they should be told! There are 2 different LAs involved as her house is in a different area from where her CH is as she came to live with us prior to moving there. Her house is exempt from Council tax whist empty, but the tenants are still there so are currently paying it.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
As long as the property is sold 'at arm's length' and not for instance to a family member at a discount then go ahead.

When the capital is approaching the upper limit you can tell the LA and if they investigate the sale they will be happy with the sale at market value.

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
On the other hand if the LA would like to dip their hands into their pockets and pay for Mum and thousands of others like her who are having to sell their homes (dont get me started) then by all means they can know what is going on, but until that day dawns they can keep out of it.

imnotloony

Aug 14, 2011
Kent
The property will be sold at market value, not to any relatives. LA won't be offering to help out until Mum's funds reach the required level, as they have already given the 12 week period of discretion when she first moved into care, not that that amounted to much by the time they took into account her pension and house rental income. Still, every little helps. I agree, potting shed, about the unfairness of having to sell her home in the first place. It would be her grandchildren's inheritance, but what else can we do?
:(

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
You are right we can do nothing until someone with a bit of gumption gets into Government and that also isnt going to happen anytime soon. It grieves me it really does. My mother in law got everything free as she did not have her own home, quite frankly I doubt they could have afforded to buy their own home but my Mum and Dad did but I dont know why they bothered quite frankly as they would have been looked after just the same.

Anyroadup that is a different ball game. Us little folk cant win and we have to just get on with it. I just hope your Mum is safe, warm and well looked after.

Solihull

Oct 2, 2014
West Midlands
I have just gone through this process as mum is settled in her care home. Her house is not worth an awful lot but she and Dad had put money aside and always said that myself(only child) & grand children would have something eventually. Dad has been gone 14 years and mum now at 91 in care. How sad they would be to know that all their efforts, even though tiny compared to some may all have been in vain. However, mum is not aware of this and she is happy, safe, clean and well fed and I am glad I was here to help her when needed.
Love to you all
Sue
X