Mum vulnerable to con merchants

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
R

The Truecall call blocker doesn't need someone to monitor it constantly. Once set up, you can pretty much leave it to get on with stopping the scammers, but if you do want to view logs, update trusted callers lists etc. you can do that over the internet, but that's not strictly necessary.

I must say, knowing what I do know about these wretched scams (I knew very little at the time) I would most definitely sort out a Truecall system for anyone likely to be vulnerable. We count ourselves very lucky that our mother was never preyed on, though that was also possibly down to her naturally suspicious nature, which only became more so as her dementia progressed.

Though there was a cheque for a large amount that went missing and had been cashed by heaven knows whom. We never could fathom it out, since our mother was most certainly not the type to invite any random caller in for a cup of tea and a chat. But that was the trigger for activating the old type of P of A. She didn't like it a bit - by then she thought we were all after her money - but my brother was able to get very tough and insist.

I believe my neighbour's son and daughter have now installed Truecall, or something similar, and have had the mail diverted, which they were able to do with her husband's cooperation. They were apparently well aware of what had been going on, and had repeatedly warned her, but she had been so firmly hooked that she would not listen. These evil b*stards tell the victims e.g. don't tell your family, don't listen to your family, they are just jealous of what you're going to win, and so on.

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
In my case, one of the things triggering getting the LPAs done was discovering that more than one 'rogue trader' had taken a lot of money from my mum in return for shoddy or non-existent work on the house and garden.

Now, each time I arrange for some work to be done she tells me that I can't possibly get it done for such a low price! This stems from being over-charged on everything for years :rolleyes:

I would add that some of these rogue traders looked very reputable, with glowing references in Checkatrade and other review sites.

I now select tradespeople through the Staying Put scheme, which is a LA initiative and so far has worked out very well.

As for the phone, I've been there when mum gets scam calls and she usually just says "no thank you" and puts the phone down on them after they've uttered their first word :D

She often hangs up on legitimate calls from genuine callers who need to talk to her, so I'll probably have to convince her to use a call screener at some point in the future or we'll never be able to get through when we need to!

mumbasi

Sep 1, 2013
What a super helpful thread this is. Thanks all you TP'ers. Don't need this yet but good to know the advice and help is here.

Rosie56

Oct 5, 2013
Yes, it's very helpful. Thank you all.

It looks as if they didn't get all the info they needed because nothing has gone from her bank account.

Unfortunately I don't think she would be able to cope with 'use hash' on the Truecall. It sounds ridiculous, but for a long time before she developed Alzheimer's she had a total mental block about learning to use any new technology, even a prehistoric Nokia phone. I found it very frustrating: I tried several times to teach her and found that she couldn't/wouldn't remember anything, not scrolling, not choosing an option, nothing. I made sure we had identical models so that I could help her out, but to no avail: she couldn't even grasp that the phone had to be turned on and off. So I think zapping unwanted callers 'by pressing hash' wouldn't be a success, and she'd probably just take the calls anyway. Which is a pity because it looks like an excellent device. Screening out anyone who withholds their number should provide some protection, I hope.

PS I remembered yesterday that I actually know a couple who run a care home. For some reason I'd forgotten that! I rang and asked if I could pick the bloke's brains. First I asked if the week's respite had been exorbitantly priced. He said the price quoted seemed pretty normal and reasonable to him, but that homes do charge differently if it's private or local authority funded. The local authority in his area usually expects to pay out about 450-550 a week for dementia respite, but private individuals get charged quite a lot more. So maybe I was quoting private rates to Social Services and that's why the receptionist sniggered (though I don't think that excuses her). I'm going to try some more homes today, see how much they ask for.

I looked at the Think Jessica site and came away horrified. My god....

Last edited:

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
Rosie56, you need to look at the Truecall 'Care' product. I'm pretty sure that doesn't require your mum to do anything other than pick up the phone when it rings.

You can program in trusted numbers up front and anyone else gets a recorded message which usually deters telemarketers and scam calls.

http://www.truecall.co.uk/care.aspx

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I don't want to scaremonger unnecessarily here, but would just add to previous posts that according to her daughter, my neighbour has been scammed out of over £100K. These things are highly organised crime, it's not just the odd chancer. These sharks are living the life of Riley on millions scammed out of the naive and vulnerable.

So extreme vigilance will not be wasted, especially if anyone you know starts entering phone-in 'competitions' where you give your every last detail at £7 a pop, or starts ordering a lot of goods they don't need where you are told you stand the chance of a cash prize.
I gather ads for these are often placed in magazines tending to have a more elderly readership.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Rosie56, you need to look at the Truecall 'Care' product. I'm pretty sure that doesn't require your mum to do anything other than pick up the phone when it rings.

You can program in trusted numbers up front and anyone else gets a recorded message which usually deters telemarketers and scam calls.

http://www.truecall.co.uk/care.aspx

This is correct. The 'Care' version doesn't require the user to do anything. They only get the calls that you want them to answer. You do all the set up remotely online, once you've connected the device to a phone inlet and electric socket. Then the telephone is plugged into the device.

The only problem you might have is if the person is so techophobic that they disconnect everything. MIL was one of those, so it wouldn't have been of any use to her. It would have been in the back of the wardrobe within half an hour, or dismantled into small pieces. :(

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
The only problem you might have is if the person is so techophobic that they disconnect everything. MIL was one of those, so it wouldn't have been of any use to her. It would have been in the back of the wardrobe within half an hour, or dismantled into small pieces. :(

This is an issue we have with my aunt. If something can be disassembled, unplugged or switched into 'random mode', she will do it. In fact anything me or my mum has in our hands, she wants to look at and fiddle with.

I don't think it's technophobia, but rather some sort of curiosity similar to my desire as a child to take everything apart and find out how it worked (but then not be able to put it back together again :()

You just have to find ways to make things tamper-proof using glue, screws, gaffer tape, covers, padlocks or whatever works for you.

If it's a device attached to the phone, the best thing to do is connect the additional equipment somewhere down stream of the phone itself where they won't see it. You can go back to the master socket if necessary.

Last edited:

Rosie56

Oct 5, 2013
The Care version looks worth doing. Thank you.

I sympathise with you Sinkhole and Katrine: Mum pulls the fingers off clocks! She ruined a beautiful little clock I gave her as a present by pulling off the fingers and then losing them.

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
Today my mum's carer phoned to say she found Mum on the phone, just about to give all her bank details to somebody at the other end. :eek: There's nothing she needed to pay (all her bills are done by DD) so it's obviously a scam.

I'm terrified the person will ring back, try again and succeed in cleaning out her bank account. Both the carer and myself have tried to drum into Mum that you must never do this, that these people on the phone may seem very nice but they are thieves. 'Oh, of course I won't,' she says, but I know from experience that warnings don't stick in her mind very long.

She was re-assessed last Thursday and scored 26 out of 30, the same as last time they assessed her. She's deteriorating in so many ways and is vulnerable, but she can draw two overlocking pentangles and name the county she lives in, so that's all right, then! There's a really good dementia unit near me but I can't move her there as she is deemed to have capacity. The test doesn't address any of the real problems! She can't eat, wash, walk any distance or look after her money without help, and she thinks dogs are cats and that dead people are still alive, but still she passes. Am banging my head on the wall with frustration. :mad:

As well as an MMSE a mental capacity assessment should follow the examples below....

Potential questions to explore in any assessment of capacity to manage financial affairs include:

Person’s income & capital
 Can you tell us how much money or income you have coming in every month / week?
 Can you tell us what this is composed of – e.g. benefits, pensions, income from savings
 Do you have any savings
 Have you had any help (e.g. from a FABA) in accessing all the benefits you may be entitled to
 Would you like me to organise some support to ensure / check you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to.

Financial needs & responsibilities
 Can you tell us approximately how much your bills – such as rent / mortgage? payments, utilities bills (– electricity, phone, water etc) – come to every month / week & how much this leaves you for other expenses?
 Can you tell us how you pay these bills – e.g. through standing orders or by cheque. Some service users may have re-chargeable keys for electricity etc.
 Can you tell us where you keep copies of bills and bank statements etc.
 Can you tell us roughly how much money you have left to spend after you’ve paid all your bills every month / week?

Potential changes in circumstances
 Can you tell me why you see the Dr / Nurse / SW?
 Can you tell me why you attend the clinic / day hospital / are in hospital?
 Do you think your situation / circumstances will improve / get worse in the future?
 Do you think you might need more help to manage your money in the future?

Management of monies at the moment / present time:
 Does any one provide you with any help to manage your monies
 Are you happy about that arrangement
 Are you happy / confident about how ***** (e.g. your son) is managing your money
 Do you have to give ***** any money for looking after your finances (this might be asked if you were aware that the person managing their finances was charging or taking a fee; this would occur if the service user’s finances were being managed b y a professional – e.g. solicitor)

If service user wishes to consider appointing someone to hold LPA:
 Have you appointed anyone (prior to Oct 07) to hold Enduring Power of Attorney?
 Have you appointed anyone (since Oct 07) to hold Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) to manage your Property & Finances?
 Does ***** (that person) also hold LPA (Personal Welfare) so that they must be consulted in the future about decisions about your health & welfare?
 Would you like someone to help you manage your money?
 What could be the advantages and disadvantages of asking ***** to look after and manage your money / finances?
 Is there anyone in your family or a good friend you trust who might be willing to help you manage your money?
 If your health deteriorates in the future who would you want to help you look after your money?
 Who would you like to help you manage your money / bills?
 Why would you like **** to manage your money / bills?
 Do you think they manage their own money well?
 Would you like information or support so that you can appoint **** to hold LPA (PA) or LPA (PW)?

Service user already has someone managing their monies
 I understand **** helps you to look after your money and pays your bills for you
 Is there any agreement about how this happens – do they hold LPA, EPA, Ordinary PoA, and Appointee?
 You have said **** holds EPA. Is this registered?
 Do you have any worries or concerns about this?
 Do you get any spending money or pocket money every week?
 How much do you get?
 Are you happy about how much you get, do you think this is about the right amount?
 What do you spend that money on – are there things you need to buy every week (such as toiletries, cigarettes etc)?
 If you want any extra money (to buy something special or a present) is it easy to get this money / how do you get this money?

"It should determine if a service user has the ability to make decisions about how their money is spent and safeguarded or whether options regarding the management of their affairs should be explored in the service user’s best interests"

Rosie56

Oct 5, 2013
As well as an MMSE a mental capacity assessment should follow the examples below....

Potential questions to explore in any assessment of capacity to manage financial affairs include:

Person’s income & capital
 Can you tell us how much money or income you have coming in every month / week?
 Can you tell us what this is composed of – e.g. benefits, pensions, income from savings
 Do you have any savings
 Have you had any help (e.g. from a FABA) in accessing all the benefits you may be entitled to
 Would you like me to organise some support to ensure / check you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to.

Financial needs & responsibilities
 Can you tell us approximately how much your bills – such as rent / mortgage? payments, utilities bills (– electricity, phone, water etc) – come to every month / week & how much this leaves you for other expenses?
 Can you tell us how you pay these bills – e.g. through standing orders or by cheque. Some service users may have re-chargeable keys for electricity etc.
 Can you tell us where you keep copies of bills and bank statements etc.
 Can you tell us roughly how much money you have left to spend after you’ve paid all your bills every month / week?

Potential changes in circumstances
 Can you tell me why you see the Dr / Nurse / SW?
 Can you tell me why you attend the clinic / day hospital / are in hospital?
 Do you think your situation / circumstances will improve / get worse in the future?
 Do you think you might need more help to manage your money in the future?

Management of monies at the moment / present time:
 Does any one provide you with any help to manage your monies
 Are you happy about that arrangement
 Are you happy / confident about how ***** (e.g. your son) is managing your money
 Do you have to give ***** any money for looking after your finances (this might be asked if you were aware that the person managing their finances was charging or taking a fee; this would occur if the service user’s finances were being managed b y a professional – e.g. solicitor)

If service user wishes to consider appointing someone to hold LPA:
 Have you appointed anyone (prior to Oct 07) to hold Enduring Power of Attorney?
 Have you appointed anyone (since Oct 07) to hold Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) to manage your Property & Finances?
 Does ***** (that person) also hold LPA (Personal Welfare) so that they must be consulted in the future about decisions about your health & welfare?
 Would you like someone to help you manage your money?
 What could be the advantages and disadvantages of asking ***** to look after and manage your money / finances?
 Is there anyone in your family or a good friend you trust who might be willing to help you manage your money?
 If your health deteriorates in the future who would you want to help you look after your money?
 Who would you like to help you manage your money / bills?
 Why would you like **** to manage your money / bills?
 Do you think they manage their own money well?
 Would you like information or support so that you can appoint **** to hold LPA (PA) or LPA (PW)?

Service user already has someone managing their monies
 I understand **** helps you to look after your money and pays your bills for you
 Is there any agreement about how this happens – do they hold LPA, EPA, Ordinary PoA, and Appointee?
 You have said **** holds EPA. Is this registered?
 Do you have any worries or concerns about this?
 Do you get any spending money or pocket money every week?
 How much do you get?
 Are you happy about how much you get, do you think this is about the right amount?
 What do you spend that money on – are there things you need to buy every week (such as toiletries, cigarettes etc)?
 If you want any extra money (to buy something special or a present) is it easy to get this money / how do you get this money?

"It should determine if a service user has the ability to make decisions about how their money is spent and safeguarded or whether options regarding the management of their affairs should be explored in the service user’s best interests"

Sorry, have been away from forum again, so late in replying. I'm shocked to see this - nothing of that sort has been asked at all. If they did ask, I think they'd get a major shock. She could hardly supply a single answer! Thanks, NorfolkGirl.

After a lot of pushing, nagging and whining I have managed to get a social worker to agree to come out and give her a full assessment, sometime in March. On the phone, she said that from the list of mental and physical impairments Mum has, she sounds as if she's definitely entitled to institutional care. Mum won't want it, of course, but I think we are definitely getting to the stage where she needs it, and if we can establish that she fulfils the criteria, that will help.

Nanawendy6

Sep 17, 2014
Scams

My husband enjoys playing games on his computer which gives me a break but clicks on any ads which say items are free but ask for card details for postage. Actually they are so called 'trials' and unless cancelled take monthly amounts for ineffective pills as advertised on facebook. Raspberry ketones is a favourite. Cost him £79.99 month! This scam has been going years so scammers make millions. Have lpa and helpful bank so I check his CC bill and cancel suspicious memberships asap. Can only hope these evil people can be stopped by banks as they take up so much of their time.