Is it time?

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
Everything went remarkably well. We told Mom that we had plumbing problems and that the water would be cut off for a week or so and she would be staying at this boarding house. When she walked in the place, she immediately started smiling and talking to everybody. We haven't visited her yet. Will wait 3-4 days. Wish us the best!

That's great news! :) She's obviously going to enjoy the company a lot, and that will put your minds and hearts to rest. For many people in this situation, a care home IS better than being at home alone with just people popping in and out, who they don't remember so they think they are alone all day.

blackb15

Jan 17, 2015
Care home near for my mom ?

I have been sole career for my mother who as dementia for 9 years ,in the last couple of months. I have had professional care is in for an hour day but they can't feed mom ( she refuse all help) also social services and the doctor are involved.She is becoming increasingly unhappy I'm unable to get her to change any clothes,wash , have chiropody treatment etc .i'm just trying to make the decision as to whether she may be happier in a home she constantly says she's on her own for too long.she is very resistant to any change or doing anything she doesn't want to do ,physically still quite able and active and I believe she will be difficult to accommodate in a home ?
A lot of other responses I have are read in this chain seem to indicate it could well be positive if she does go into a home any thoughts appreciated.
thanks
Paul

LolaJane

Jun 24, 2014
St aughustine fl
When we go to see Mom, as soon as she sees us, she says "Thank God!" She's doesn't say anything bad after that--just "Thank God." She doesn't beg to come home. Yesterday she did say "Let's get the hell out of here" followed by "I don't mean to stay, just get out for a little while." I think this weekend, I will take her out for a drive and dinner. She's been in the ALF for just over a week now and I think she is a little stir-crazy--verses just plain crazy! I hope she will willingly go back into the ALF at the end of our adventure. Everything up to this point has been positive so I am expecting great things.

This move was the best thing for all of us. I feel like a new woman. My co-caregiver brother actually smiles again. Maybe Mom doesn't realize it, but she's better taken care of. She did say that the food there was delicious and plenty of it.

Paul, all I can say is that you will know when the time has come. Just be prepared. Look around for facilities that you like, then narrow it down. By doing that, you will be ahead of the game when the time is right for you.

blackb15

Jan 17, 2015
Thanks very much for your reply ,things have taken a turn for the worse with care homes not accepting my mum so I'll probably do a separate post to ask further advice as to where I go now I'm obviously liaising with social services and carers with little success
Thanks again
Paul