carers direct payment

macatac

Nov 9, 2014
North Wales
As anyone here had a carer assessment, and been offered a direct payment in order to purchase something for their self in order to make their life / caring role more bearable ?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I attend monthly meeting of the Carers's Association. I had one of these gifts about 4 years ago. They were offering to put names forward for a gift from a pot of money held for carers. I can't remember exactely how much it was but think it was about £200.

It had to be used to benefit the carer.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Where I live it used to be a £300 a year one-off direct payment which has been reduced to £150 every two years (or £300 if used on white goods like washing machine). I used the first payment on a deep clean of the flat and the second lot now on part-payment of a Vitalise holiday. Can't use it on a washing machine as that's the landlord's responsibility. You need to say in advance exactly what you want it for and provide a receipt. Then it takes ages for the money to be paid to you. To be honest, the whole procedure is a tad humiliating, as if you were asking for a handout and they need a receipt as "some carers abuse the system". Abuse the system? I am saving the state thousands a year in care money, if anyone is abusing the system, it's the government for not paying me a proper wage!
Sorry, off my soap box now. Go for everything you are offered, it's little enough.

macatac

Nov 9, 2014
North Wales
Thank you. Beate, I know where your coming from and I agree whole heartedly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Abuse the system? I am saving the state thousands a year in care money, if anyone is abusing the system, it's the government for not paying me a proper wage!
Sorry, off my soap box now. Go for everything you are offered, it's little enough.
:)Is there such thing as "Hear, Hear" smiley?:)

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
I have a monthly direct payment - made into a special bank account I had to open for this purpose alone.
It goes toward paying for a day centre of my choosing for my husband rather than one that Social Services nominate.
I have to keep all the receipts & bank statements as it can be audited at any time.

I was unaware that there could possibly be a one-off payment also.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes, the two are different things. What I get is a "one-off" direct payment and you can get it even if you don't use direct payments to pay for care. This one's actually for you as the carer to do something nice with.