Best Foods that help memory - true or false

The Son

Account Closed
Dec 4, 2014
I have heard these are the best foods to help with memory etc.
Has anyone experience if they work (bearing in mind we are vegi's).

1) Coconut - Oil, powder, butter, water - lots of it.
2) Vitamin B Complex B6, B12, B2 - I remember having them when I was studying many years 3) ago and all the engery drinks seem to have them.
3) Flaxseed - added to porridge in the morning.
4) Lecithin granules - added to the porridge or soup.
5) Almonds , loads even powdered added to Breakfast, sprinkled on other food.
6) Omega seed mix - added to salads or even porridge and other things.
7) ginseng drops - added to tea or breakfast
8) Peanuts / peanut butter.
9) Green Tea.
10) Lentils
11) Marmite
12) Whey protein Supplements (like the weight trainers have).

Would be good if anyone has seen any improvement or could share any experience they have add with improvements in particular food.

Thanks

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
What you might find is that the person with dementia deteriorates slower if you can get memory-boosting supplements/foods into their diet, but a big improvement might not happen. It has been reported by some people in respect of coconut oil, however (see previous threads on that subject).

It also makes a difference whether you are dealing with Alzheimer's, or vascular dementia.. or even the other forms of dementia that are less well known. There are reports on the web that the Alzheimer plaques can be broken down with turmeric and cinnamon.

Vascular dementia will obviously be helped by all heart-healthy substances like Omega 3 and garlic, little sprinkles of cayenne pepper, blueberries & strawberries. They even say that saturated fat is no longer considered to be a risk factor. I think that vascular dementia can be much worsened by dehydration, this was true in my Mum's case. Getting more than half a cup of drink into her at a time was difficult. Watery foods like soup and milky puddings had to be used.

Choline containing foods are good -

http://naturalsociety.com/5-ways-ea...ervous-system-liver-health-cancer-prevention/

I wonder why you mentioned peanuts? I have read they are the nut most likely to be mould-contaminated. Also, how does whey improve your mind?

Here is another interesting read -

http://naturalsociety.com/ways-prevent-dementia-boost-brain-power/

:)

Last edited:

The Son

Account Closed
Dec 4, 2014
Thanks for that, I forgot about the hydration, yes ,I must make sure she drinks enought water.

On the peanut front :

Helps Fight Depression (Tryptophan)

Peanuts are good sources of tryptophan, an essential amino acid which is important for the production of serotonin, one of the key brain chemicals involved in mood regulation. When depression occurs, a decreased amount of serotonin may be released from the nerve cells in the brain. Tryptophan may raise serotonin’s antidepressant effects when there is an increased amount of serotonin in the blood.

5. Boosts Memory Power (Vitamin B3)

vitamin B3 or niacin content whose many health benefits include normal brain functioning and boosting memory power.

I will look at the links you added . Thanks again.

Emomam

Nov 13, 2014
Yorkshire
high fibre

When I first started looking after mum I was already on a high fibre diet so just carried on with mum but changed things that she already had daily.

Decaffeinated coffee and tea
Lots of water
Salmon 2-3 Times a week
Coconut oil
Granary bread
Lots of fresh fruit, veg and salad especially rocket, spinach and watercress
Butter (no margrines)
Nuts
Eggs

She has b12 injections too.

She immediately looked better and didn't deteriorate until she had a medical problem which caused several UTI's. It worked well for us and mum enjoyed it. It was the doctor who told me about food for the brain and there ate lots of arrivals on the web.

parryberan

Account Closed
Dec 11, 2014
I also heard the same that these food helps to increase memory. Almond is the most preferred food which is eaten for increasing the power of our memory. No doubt the other food listed here are also good for memory and health.

The Son

Account Closed
Dec 4, 2014
I didn't know you could have b12 injections, great share I will get ask for mom to have these, she doesn't believe me usually, and if it comes from the doctor she will take them.

Emomam

Nov 13, 2014
Yorkshire
Mums dementia is caused by a b12 deficiency hence the injections every three months. She becomes very tired without it and dementia gets worse. Hope that's useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Mums dementia is caused by a b12 deficiency

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but I don't mind if I have to.

No one knows what causes dementia, we only know the results of it's impact.

No one knows how to avoid dementia, we only know the guidelines for a healthier lifestyle.

We all know of fit healthy people who drop dead on an early morning fifteen mile yomp and we all know of whiskey drinking smokers who live until they're 102 (well, I knew the latter personally:) ) what we can't pinpoint is the variables.

So...try to live a healthy life and know you could develop any disease, live an unhealthy life and know you'll have increased your chances of developing a disease but one thing we all know...the grim reaper WIll call.

Life can seem longer and BE longer if it's too austere, and long life...well it's not as if your body gets trapped in a time-warp and you retain everything you possessed at 50...you makes your choices, you takes the chance, you can't pull a rabbit out of the hat. IMO.

The Son

Account Closed
Dec 4, 2014
It's great to share thoughts and experience and it all helps, take many men's council and then decide for oneself what to do.
I thank you all, they all add up to a better understanding and knowledge of many folk's strategy, imagine if we didn't have the web to do this, one would feel completely isolated.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Lack of B12 has been known to cause mental confusion for a long time but that's not the same as causing Alzheimer's disease - it's not that simple - would that it was.

As Gwen has said, most of us know what constitutes a healthy diet and lifestyle but also know of people who follow this whether consciously or unconsciously but still develop AD. Also those who don't and sail through life unhindered by it.

I read an article the other day in a national newspaper that said that trials have shown that if someone doesn't swing their arms when walking, they are more likely to develop Alzheimer's.

The way I now walk the dog along the footpath in the woods would warrant praise from a drill sergeant!!! :rolleyes:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Yes, Pernicious Anaemia prevents the absorption of vitamin B12 which, as above, causes mental confusion but nowadays can be remedied but regular B12 injections.
It used to involve the consuming of raw liver!

It is prevalent in my family with both a grandmother and aunts suffering from it and it was thought that this could be the reason for my daughter's low levels of B12.

However, she had the intrinsic factor in her stomach, the lack of which indicates Pernicious Anaemia and her absorption prevention is caused by her Crohn's disease.

However, it has never shown itself as confusion but more extreme fatigue.
It never did with others in the family either, with one aunt living until over 90 with it and was lucid and sharp when she died!
None of that side of my family suffered from dementia either!

Last edited:

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Emomam your first link is to a site I would personally not hold in much regard but even they state there is no link between Alzheimer's and B12 deficiency.

Your second link, fact sheet 442 ...I am unable to find any mention of vitamin deficiency. Could you copy and paste the extract, please? I would be interested to read it. Thanks.

Emomam

Nov 13, 2014
Yorkshire
Sorry. I couldn't find it in that Factsheet either.

I have always been told that mums dementia which was diagnosed at the memory clinic was probably caused by the pernicious anaemia.

We also have a family history of crohns disease on my mums side and I have colitis.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

MIKYPLUM

Jun 8, 2012
Ginko biloba

nobody seems to mention the benefits of this herbal medication, which is supposed to help people with dementia, is there a reason for this

DazeInOurLives

Dec 10, 2009
East Midlands,UK
twitter.com
Not food related, but good quality sleep made a drastic difference to my Mum, even 13 years into her disease. Melatonin at bedtime did the trick...she is transformed the next day in terms of mood and cognitive function. Good quality dream sleep seems to be underestimated in good dementia care.

:)

I have heard these are the best foods to help with memory etc.
Has anyone experience if they work (bearing in mind we are vegi's).

Would be good if anyone has seen any improvement or could share any experience they have add with improvements in particular food.

Thanks

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
GINGKO BILOBA - nobody seems to mention the benefits of this herbal medication, which is supposed to help people with dementia, is there a reason for this

I only know of one person with dementia (supposedly Alzheimer's, though doctors often don't really know) who took it, and it didn't help.

But it is normally listed as helpful for vascular dementia because it is meant to improve blood flow.

I took some once, just to improve my blood flow anyway, but it gave me little pains in the head.

Last edited: