The January Lads

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Loved the poem - but my favourite tipple is still a good old gin and tonic, lemon but easy on the ice! My Mother loved Bailey's - could never understand why!

Never tried Gin and Tonic wife more paschal to a drop of whiskey me x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Loved the poem - but my favourite tipple is still a good old gin and tonic, lemon but easy on the ice! My Mother loved Bailey's - could never understand why!

Noting like a wee G&T!!! Mind you I also like malt whisky, wine, cocktails ........ Etc!!!

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
Well here's a really wise one: ;)

Tonight, as I was feeling low
Cos no-one's called, or wants to know
I thought a treat would ease my mood
But somehow, didn't fancy food

The Bailey's bottle found it's way
Within my hand, and chose to stay
But from a glass I didn't sup
Who wants to cope with washing up?

I tipped the bottle, had a slurp
And followed with a Lady Burp
And glory be, it's done the trick
And though I'm feeling slightly sick

I'm really too far gone to care
So gaze upon John's empty chair
Like Miss O'Hara, smile and say
"Tomorrow is another day" :)

wow, wonderful poem, you are soo clever, write them down and get them published.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I think she's led a saucy life
That poster who we know as WIFE ;)
A-flitting here, and flitting there
With p'raps a flower in her hair?

And when she's tired, and eyelids close
She fights the urge to find repose
But says "I've got the need to be
Relaxing with a G & T. :D:D:D

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Such a clever, poignant thread but with a large pinch of TP humour. Fantastic! x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I can't believe it's nearly 7 months since I wrote this. My son and his children arrive at the end of next week (from USA) for 2 lovely weeks. I've delayed having John's ashes committed until we can all be together, and this will take place during their second week. My daughter, son-in-law and grand-daughter will also be there, and that's the extent of our family.

And then I hope I can draw a line under the long period that has been John's death, as I know that everything has been done. This was the earliest that they could come, so it's a lot later than usual, but I've arranged lots of things for the 7 of us to do, as a family, and I hope we can create some nicer memories.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Where has that time gone, Scarlett, although I'm sure you may have had periods when the days have seemed endless. Glad that you can be together for the committal which I'm sure will be very sad for you all but how lovely to have your son and grandchildren with you for 2 whole weeks. Are you planning a return trip later in the year?

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I hope all goes well for you Scarlett. It's lovely for you that your family will be visiting.

I've still got Pete's ashes-and that's putting doubts in my mind that I'm not doing the right thing:confused: I've told my daughter that when I pass I want her to take us to a beautiful place and release us together; but then I think what if Pete is not truly free? What if I'm doing the wrong thing? But then I'm not sure that I could cope if I don't talk to his remains every day.

Confusion remains. Needless to say when I move house tomorrow there will be a cat in her basket in the boot, two dogs on the back seat and Pete will be on the passenger seat.

Love

Lyn T XX

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Dear Lyn.

Pete's spirit is free. What you treasure are his earthly remains which are of great comfort to you so keep them with you as long as you need. His spirit/soul will always be with you, watching over you, no matter what.

Hope your move goes smoothly and your companions settle very quickly. What excitement! Will be thinking of you.

Love

Verityxx

Last edited:

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
I hope all goes well for you Scarlett. It's lovely for you that your family will be visiting.

I've still got Pete's ashes-and that's putting doubts in my mind that I'm not doing the right thing:confused: I've told my daughter that when I pass I want her to take us to a beautiful place and release us together; but then I think what if Pete is not truly free? What if I'm doing the wrong thing? But then I'm not sure that I could cope if I don't talk to his remains every day.

Confusion remains. Needless to say when I move house tomorrow there will be a cat in her basket in the boot, two dogs on the back seat and Pete will be on the passenger seat.

Love

Lyn T XX

He is free Lyn, nothing surer. You keep hold of his ashes if it gives you comfort. There are no hard & fast rules on these things, nor grieving if it comes to that. My Dad scattered (well, buried) my Mums ashes in their favourite spot in the Lakes about 18 months after she died, when we could get all the family together. Dad saved a little bit of her ashes in a little tub that he had.
Almost 5 years on & he still chats away with her every day. It is so normal for him to say "I was telling your Mum earlier....." Once a couple of years ago he decided he should stop & he found it very hard & we told him that he should continue as long as it gave him comfort. He has been chatting to her, telling her about his day for over 50 years so why should he stop?

Good luck with the move.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Scarlett, do hope you have a lovely fortnight with the family, take lots of photos and build lots of good memories. xx

Lyn, I hope the move goes well for all of you, I'm sure it will be a comfort for you to have Pete's ashes in the new house and as others have said his spirit will be with you. Do hope you settle in quickly, hope you've got lots of help with unpacking? xx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thank you for all your kind wishes. Lyn, like so many things, there are no right or wrong answers to all this. I gave John's Eulogy, some widows read a poem, others cannot talk at all. But all these things are fine, if the widow or widower thinks it is.

I used to speak to John, in my mind, silently. Then one night, I realised I hadn't spoken to anyone, except my dog, all day, :( so instead of thinking things, I said them out loud, to his many photos.

And it felt so natural! I have a photo frame that someone bought us for our Ruby Wedding. There's an oval, and underneath are the words "Our Wedding Day", and that contains my favourite picture of us on that lovely day.

Then there's a slightly larger oval, with the words "Our 40th Wedding Anniversary", and that has a photo of John and I, outside the same church, taken on that day. Next to the frame is a copy of John's Order of Service. I talk to those photos all the time.

I "lost" John to AD many years ago, and although my daughter has some of his ashes (she was going to have them made into an item of jewellery, but hasn't, as yet) this wasn't for me. But an entry in the Book of Remembrance, and replica cards for myself and the children, was vital. No rights or wrongs - just different. :)

I didn't realise you were moving. Are you downsizing, or going to a different area? Whatever you're doing, and wherever you're going, I wish you a smooth and trouble-free move, and peace in your new home. :) xxxx