First dementia now stroke

ringtor

Nov 5, 2008
Devon
My husband (82) has had alz + vasc dem for 6 years but is managing well. He is a bit active at night but he can dress himself, go bowling and go to church.
Last week he had a fall (1st) and became weak which our local physio thinks is a small stroke. He was sent to A&E and stayed in a night but has no treatment.
Now he is very weak and anxious so when I tried to shop today he couldn't walk round the store and was afraid to be alone in the car. I hope he will get better but as a precaution I applied on the phone for a blue badge. The lady kept asking me how far he could walk on a football pitch and I assured her that he wouldn't even get on the pitch! The mixture of dementia and weakness means he is like a three year old who one couldn't leave alone in the car for safety reasons. Nor could I leave him alone at home.
Has anyone else met this situation? And can you offer any suggestions of help?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Could you access a sitting service? In my area there is crossroads, but there may be a different organisation where you are. You will probably have to pay for it, but it will give you a bit of time when you could do things by yourself.

onlyme247

May 21, 2014
N.W.England
Re blue badge I was advised to write not able to be left unattended or alone you need to write this in each box where they ask about how far to walk etc.As long as you have filled in the doctor and medications they can see why.
hope this helps also the wheelchair service is good .Ifproblem doctor or memory clinic can refer you.That was not a very good way to word the blue badge form sorry I put "must be accompanied at all times"

Last edited:

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
This must be very hard for you. My wife will happily sit in the car while I pop into a shop but I've reached the point where I would only leave her in the house alone if it was a real emergency - not because she would get agitated but because recently, while I was in the next room, she stood up and started walking around then managed to fall.

It always disturbs me to hear of people with dementia having strokes, even 'small' ones, and not being offered any kind of treatment or rehabilitation - the kind that is offered to stroke victims without dementia. I understand that no-one can work miracles, but it's hard to believe that there's absolutely nothing that can be done. Even cats can be treated for strokes:

http://www.petwave.com/Cats/Health/Strokes/Treatment.aspx

As I say, disturbing.

ringtor

Nov 5, 2008
Devon
Good news! After another phone call the forms arrived today to complete to get a Blue Badge. Thanks, Devon.
Yes, Stanleypj there was much examination but no treatment as yet.

Last edited: