Personal alarm

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
What seems to be the problem with some of the fall sensors is what they will detect. If the wearer, for example, trips and falls over and in effect goes down "with a bang" then the sensor picks that up and triggers the alarm. If, as I suspect happens more often, the wearer almost slithers to the floor and then can't get up - say trying to get out of a chair or stand from the side of a bed - then that isn't detected :(

bunnies

May 16, 2010
I wonder if we can find anyone who has experience of someone who has alzheimers/dementia who has been able to use the personal alarm button? It's not looking like it's very common in any case..!

Hibni

Sep 16, 2013
My mother used her pendant alarm a couple of times when she slid off the bed at night and couldn't get up. I was glad that she first used it in a situation where she wasn't hurt and hopefully she will use it again if necessary. She lives with us and I would have heard a 'bump' if she'd fallen, but the voice from the machine woke us. Her AZ is mild but slowly getting worse. I don't know for how much longer she will remember that she has a pendant alarm.

She used it on another occasion when she said I'd forgotten to give her a sleeping tablet. I leave one on the bedside table so that she can take it if she needs it. (She doesn't take one every night.) On this occasion I knew I'd left one for her and reluctantly gave her half a one assuming that she'd taken the tablet. The next morning I discovered the tablet in the drawer of the bedside table.;)

bunnies

May 16, 2010
It's good to hear someone has used it, thanks. It does seem, though, that only in the very early stages of Alzheimers will it be of any use - and also, perhaps only when the person can understand there is someone there who can respond to it, which in this case you could because your mother lives with you. Thanks for the input.