Decline in behaviour and mental state :(

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Ever since grandad came out of hospital he has been a lot worse mentally and his behaviour is really really challenging.
His a lot more confused then he was and spent the last two days wanting to go 'home' when we've not even left the house at all. His got confused before and when we said about his bedroom his come round and that he is home he wud say he forgot but this time he's been really distressed wanting to go home.
We could always work out wot he was saying and now he says words but in no sentence or order just random gibberish.
Grandad could always be challenging towards me as he thinks I'm a child I'm only 23 and quite short 5 ft 1 so that doesn't go in my favour either. So he thinks his in charge and doesn't have to listen to me and battles with everything I say. he will disagree and do wot he wants to when he wants, which is really difficult as I'm the main carer :(.
It's really starting to get to me I feel miserable all the time getting grumpy and just fed up.
Is it normal for such a decline in a short time 2 - 3 weeks physically his back to how he was before he was in hosp but mentally and his behaviour have took a real nose dive.

Sorry for being such a moaning mertal :( x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Pumpkin

Was your Grandad given any different meds in Hospital or had some withdrawn? That can effect behaviour. Sometimes sudden changes like this can sometimes be the result of a UTI or other infection. They can come on really suddenly. Perhaps you could phone your Grandad's GP or CPN/SW if he has one. Has he had any follow up visits from professionals since leaving Hospital?

You aren't moaning. You are worried and tired-very understandably.

Take care

Lyn T XX

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Hi there :)

Grandads pills for dimentia was changed to a higher dose but in a patch form and his been having the patches for nearly 2 weeks now I think. His also got different blood pressure pills.
I phoned the doctors today but as usual they were as helpful as a chocolate teapot.
We don't have a SW I keep ringing and speaking to lots of people and get no where :( granddads got to much money so basically they don't care.
Iv been trying to sort granddads incontinence issues out since November and still not got no where so iv given up and just keep buying everything it's a waste of my time and energy :(.

Take care

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Make an appointment to go and see the gp, ask for a longer appointment period, take prepared notes with you. If you cannot get your grandfather to surgery for whatever reason, then try and insist on the earliest home visit appointment. On a lighter note, I'm 60 and my mum still thinks shes the boss!!!

LolaJane

Jun 24, 2014
St aughustine fl
My mother went into respite care for 5 days. When she got out, she was a WRECK! It took almost a full week to see any similarity of her mentality before she went away for the 5 days. Now, almost 2 full weeks later, she is mostly back to us, but not fully. She is much more yearning to "go home" and much more insistent that we are not who we say we are. She calls me by the name of an old friend of hers, and she calls my husband by the name of the old friend's husband. We just answer to her. But the wanting to "go home" is really getting to us. But that said, she has still settled down over the 2 weeks since she returned to my home. She has been living here for over 15 years. Maybe your grandfather will settle back in.

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Thank yu for all your replies :) fingers crossed he will settle back down and I'm going to phone the doctors first thing in the morning and try again :) hopefully they will be a bit more helpful :)

mommabearmik

Jan 10, 2015
Hi there. I really don't have any advice. But I can tell you I am young too (19) and I know how hard it can be. Stay strong

Ash148

Jan 1, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
The change of environment is bound to have unsettled him, as well as the changes in medication. As you say fingers crossed that it will improve with time. Hang on in there.

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Thank yu every one :) I will deffinately be phoning the doctors tomorrow morning.

I've had a rather difficult evening again with grandad being very unco-operative.

Luckily his now tucked up in bed and I shall be doing the same putting on a good film and getting tucked up.

It's nice to hear there's other young carers around not just me :)

Take care everyone sleep tight :)

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Hi there

Been to the doctors this morning and as usual they weren't very helpful.

No UTI just the 'transition stage' from being in hospital to coming home.

I'm not convinced tho grandad was trying to chew yes chew drink his morning.

However they have put him back on to the dementia tablets and not patches any more yay.

Wen in hosp they stopped his sleeping pill for nite as they sed it will cause drowsiness while his in the hosp fair enough but the doc won't let him have it any more now his back at home either :( his up throughout the entire of the nite!!

Wot do other TPers do at nite time is there anything that he can have ?? I have a heart condition so lack of sleep is really not good for me :(

Any sergestions please x

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Call the GP and tell them you cannot continue to care for him without sleep. How would the GP like to do without his sleep? Insist on having it restored or you will leave. Don't take no for an a swer.