Headache

Varandas

Sep 2, 2013
Hampshire England
I care for a Lady with AD
there are occasion when she is calm - but somehow showing signs of anxiety, she's sitting down, or even in bed and she takes one of her hands to her head - as if she's having some headache. She's no longer able to express her feelings and the replies are all muddled up.

It takes awhile, lots of reassurance, distraction and she will somehow be herself again.

I wonder if the person can feel any additional pain in the head due to the illness.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Is she prescribed any painkillers?

Everyone gets headaches with or without dementia.

Stress, aching muscles, arthritic joints, osteoprorosis, emotional distress, immune system fighting a bug, frustration, disturbed sleep, confusing thoughts and brain processing... lots and lots of reasons.

My own mother suffered from migraine for most of her adult life, they began to ease off when she was in her 60s and I worried that they would begin again when she developed dementia.
They did not.

She had quite severe osteoporisis that caused significant curving of her spine...she NEVER complained of pain but I used to give her 2X500mgs of paracetamol every four hours...eventually I remembered to ask her GP if it was OK :eek: and he said 'of course it is'.

Comfort is MOST important and I found my mother was unable to tolerate the discomfort of a blood pressure monitor on her arm without showing extreme discomfort yet never complained of headaches or body pain... but ALWAYS improved shortly after taking pain relief.

She used to say, before she was engulfed by dementia...'I've got more bones than a kipper and every one of them aches'. :)
I always remembered that and made sure, as far as I was able, that she was comfortable.

I hope your lady's GP is able to help, symptom of dementia or not, IMO pain relief must always be given.

Varandas

Sep 2, 2013
Hampshire England
Thank you, very informative.
Yes it was discussed with the GP and 'apparently' there are no signs of any other ailment or physical discomfort. There is no past history of complaints either. She enjoys good health despite this terrible AD.

I have been looking after this lady for the past 3 and half years and this is a new 'behaviour' I've noticed and am searching of possible causes.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I would ask for her to be prescribed paracetamol on an 'as required' basis.
When your lady shows signs of the sort of distress you describe, you could give her a dose as prescribed and see if it made her more comfortable.

Hope she is helped to be more comfortable soon.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
How many times have I put my head in my hands when it all feels too much?
I wonder if something like that is going n?

Varandas

Sep 2, 2013
Hampshire England
How many times have I put my head in my hands when it all feels too much?
I wonder if something like that is going n?

I wonder if in the rare moments of 'awareness' that's what she may be thinking and I dread to think that the realization is the beginning of the end...

Very sad