Hi everyone !

Lizell

Jan 16, 2015
Good morning - I am Lizell, a mental health nurse with a particular interest in dementia care although not my original area of interest. I now work in the private sector where I use my compassion and skills to nurse people in their older years with a multiple of conditions. I have supported AD for many years and joined the Talking Point today having been reading an old thread about EMI versus dementia registered care homes. Much of what I read was so true - it's a minefield for relatives and difficult for staff too.
I look forward to being part of the Talking Point and reading people's concerns, interests and hints !
Have a great day everyone !

Lizell

Jan 16, 2015
EMI versus registered dementia care

Registered dementia care homes can accept people with a diagnosis of dementia who are deemed by Social Services and NHS to require dementia care, if your relative has this condition then if the home you choose is not registered for this they will not be able to accept them. Many homes are now becoming registered (in my opinion often without providing adequate training and with a workforce that really wants to work in this field - it can be very demanding) but many are registering and investing heavily in building, training and appropriate recruitment. If you are concerned staff are not trained - there will be adequately trained staff (health care assistants) and untrained staff will be in the process of being trained - we all start somewhere ! EMI homes provide nursing care for people whose needs have gone beyond that which can be provided by HCAs and will include advanced nursing needs and behavioural issues. These homes are staffed by registered mental nurses, HCAs and often general nurses with a special interest. Dementia care is by its nature often linked to physical needs and a fine line has to be drawn between the level of care needed and the suitability of the resident staying in the comfortable surroundings they have known for years. Clearly this is the most desirable outcome but is sometimes simply not possible. I also see comments about people losing weight etc in care homes and without being defensive have to say that in a good home (this is a CQC requirement) weight and nutrition are constantly carefully monitored and steps taken to encourage weight maintenance etc BUT sadly in dementia the interest in eating and the will to do so can be reduced and physical changes can cause weight loss too. A good care home will respond to your queries about care with empathy and understanding but it does help if you are not angry or combative in your enquiries because staff are human and in most cases are doing their absolute utmost to provide care - we should ALWAYS listen to you !
We will always promote independence too, so your relative won't be wrapped in cotton wool although will be kept safe.
If the home your relative is in does not meet the standards you would like to see and management are unable to resolve your concerns CQC are always willing to listen. (I have used them myself to report a substandard home I briefly worked in and I know things have been changed there)
Wishing you all the very best in your journey with dementia - in my book, a condition that can rival cancer in its pain (pain is not always physical) and intensity, which is under researched, understood or respected.
Have a good day !

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Welcome and well done with your career path. :)

Registered dementia care homes can accept people with a diagnosis of dementia who are deemed by Social Services and NHS to require dementia care, if your relative has this condition then if the home you choose is not registered for this they will not be able to accept them.
My Mom has VasD and so do several other residents. The home has no trained Dementia staff. Are you saying they shouldn't have accepted her?