Phone call from snr nurse at ch!

SueShell

Sep 13, 2012
Orpington
Just received call from nurse at CH to say they are referring Mum to mental health doctor because Mum is so depressed. She hasn't eaten anything now for about 8 weeks, most of that time she was in hospital. Nurse said she now has small breakout on her sacrum which she has dressed, and basically told me Mum has decided she doesn't want to go on and as she's refusing to even drink the food supplements she fears she will go downhill very soon.

I visited today but only stayed for 30 minutes because Mum was asleep and wouldnt wake up.

I just feel that as she's willing herself to die she will go downhill rapidly now. She's refusing to get out of bed and into a wheelchair so she's now been bed ridden for 12 weeks, Sue

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Dear Sue

I'm so sorry that your mum has taken a downturn. If she has made up her mind not to eat, there is little you can do. It may be that if she has medication for depression she might feel more like eating, but at the moment, all you can do is be there with her.

Jan x

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
So sorry Sue, it is hard to watch and sadly no answers only that my Mum did stop eating and drinking for a few weeks, but suddenly started eating small amounts again, she is very up and down though some days will only eat a trifle, but clearly not as bad as your Mum, you just never know with this disease, she may pick up again xx

Ange

bluejag69

Oct 3, 2014
As ange said, you don't know what's gonna happen with this bloody disease. I believe my dad gave up as well as the dementia rapidly taking hold of him. But he'd only not eaten for a few days.

And as jan said, all you can do is what you are doin now, being there for her and loving her. Its out of your control.

Lots of luck and love coming your way,
Jackie xxx

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Just received call from nurse at CH to say they are referring Mum to mental health doctor because Mum is so depressed. She hasn't eaten anything now for about 8 weeks, most of that time she was in hospital. Nurse said she now has small breakout on her sacrum which she has dressed, and basically told me Mum has decided she doesn't want to go on and as she's refusing to even drink the food supplements she fears she will go downhill very soon.

I visited today but only stayed for 30 minutes because Mum was asleep and wouldnt wake up.

I just feel that as she's willing herself to die she will go downhill rapidly now. She's refusing to get out of bed and into a wheelchair so she's now been bed ridden for 12 weeks, Sue

I'm sorry. You have struggled over her care. She wants, evidently, to end her difficulties. My heart goes out to her and to you.