Medication

Matilda's

Jan 11, 2015
My husband has been diagnosed with early onset dementia and he told me yesterday that he hasn't taken his medication. Any advice please?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Just once or not at all? Just continue taking it as normal but maybe you can make sure he takes it in future?

leicester61

Aug 26, 2012
Leicestershire
Hi Matildas
So sorry to hear your news, my husband was diagnosed aged 52, nearly 3 yrs ago now. Im afraid ive no suggestions other than asking him why he hasnt taken it. I got my husband a dosset box so that i could keep an eye on what he was taking and when but hes never showed any inclination not to take his meds, however there such a helpful bunch here that i know someone will come on soon with an answer or some help.
Good Luck
Suz

Matilda's

Jan 11, 2015
Just once or not at all? Just continue taking it as normal but maybe you can make sure he takes it in future?
Thank you for your reply

He says he doesn't have anything wrong now after taking a test on his computer and that his problem is just age related. Is denial normal does anyone know?

mrsted

Sep 18, 2012
leicestershire
Hi

We had the same with my FIL both with his first medication and later with his anti psychotic drugs. We explained to him that he needed to take them to make sure he didn't get poorly after a little persuasion he took them as good as gold, however now the disease has progressed we are back to square one

K
xx

Matilda's

Jan 11, 2015
Hi

We had the same with my FIL both with his first medication and later with his anti psychotic drugs. We explained to him that he needed to take them to make sure he didn't get poorly after a little persuasion he took them as good as gold, however now the disease has progressed we are back to square one

K
xx
As my husbands diagnosis is very early, I am finding it difficult because a lot of the time he has no problems at all. He hasn't taken any for three weeks and does not want to go to see the doctors for an opinion. He is reading things on the internet all the time and taking everything that is recommended. I understand how he must be feeling but the selfish streak is appearing when he is most aware and not on a bad day. Thank you for replying, I think I may have to try to speak to the doctor, whether he will believe the is a different matter.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Hi Matilda.

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband; I recognise the actions so much. Roger has always denied he has dementia, and refused medication. No matter how hard I tried, he refused. I used to bargain with him! I offered a reward for taking certain tablet and if he didn't take the others, so be it. If they're small tablets, could you hide them in something? Not a lot of helpful advice I'm afraid.

He was diagnosed at 58, 8 years ago.

Jan x