Goodbye my love .... John died today

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Have just read on WIFE's thread that Diane69 has lost her boy too. Heaven must be desperate for angels .................

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
So sorry for Aesop too. As you say Scarlett, such a time of sorrow for so many of you. Have also lost 2 non TP friends in the last couple of weeks. 2015 is going to be so difficult for you all. Verityxx

Sent from my GT-N5110

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I've often wondered - are there really more deaths this time of the year, or do we seem to notice the number of deaths more around Christmas and new year, because it can already be a bit of a lonely time?

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
I'm sure I have read that statistically there are more deaths during the winter months. My mum hated the dark winter days, after the clocks changed, when she died on 8th November I remember thinking that at least she wouldn't have to face them again.

Thinking of you and all those who have lost their loved ones recently, so much sadness.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I must go on a very fast crash-course for being grateful for small mercies. My daughter sent me an email "Hope you're OK xx". I must not reply that I'm far from OK, because she doesn't want to hear that, and should know it anyway.

I'm going to sort out some cupboards and drop items off at the charity shop, and then take myself to Lakeside, cos I need to see some normal life. Who knows? I might actually treat myself to a cup of coffee! :eek:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Scarlett

When my son asks `Are you OK` I take it to mean `Please reassure me you are not falling to pieces because after losing my dad , I don`t know what I`d do if I lost you too.`

He knows he can`t make me better, just as I can`t make him better but we must come to terms with our loss in the best ways we can.

Perhaps this is your daughter too.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I must go on a very fast crash-course for being grateful for small mercies. My daughter sent me an email "Hope you're OK xx". I must not reply that I'm far from OK, because she doesn't want to hear that, and should know it anyway.

I'm afraid it's now used by younger generation to mean 'I am worried about you, haven't heard from you but don't want to interrupt you if you are busy distracting yourself. Let me know how you are. With love'

By the way 'you ok?' Means I am about to call the police as I can't get hold of you and have rung everywhere I can think you might be'

Last edited:

leedsfan

Apr 1, 2012
Hello Scarlett,

Have just spent the last hour and a half reading the whole of this thread.

Thank you for sharing yours and Johns story. I have both cried and laughed at some of the things you have written.

Had a bit of a barny with my OH last night, something and nothing really and we have both been sulking all day. Pathetic at our age! Guess I came on here to bury my head for a while. OH doing his crossword.

Gonna apologise and speak to him in a mo when I log off here, thats down to you and your lovely life with John - it made me think.

Bless you.

Jane x

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I'm afraid it's now used by younger generation to mean 'I am worried about you, haven't heard from you but don't want to interrupt you if you are busy distracting yourself. Let me know how you are. With love'

By the way 'you ok?' Means I am about to call the police as I can't get hold of you and have rung everywhere I can think you might be'

Oh dear.....these are exactly the words I use to text my 30 year old daughter when she's out on a new date or some similar occasion!! I didn't realise it was such current lingo :p

I especially use 'you ok?'.....it must drive her crazy!!! :D

Seriously, text speak is a whole world to itself so Scarlett, I hope your daughter does mean to express concern for you xxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
When my son asks `Are you OK` I take it to mean `Please reassure me you are not falling to pieces because after losing my dad , I don`t know what I`d do if I lost you too.`

He knows he can`t make me better, just as I can`t make him better but we must come to terms with our loss in the best ways we can.

Perhaps this is your daughter too.

When my son asks that (the one from the USA), he probably means the same as your son. When my daughter asks that it means "if you're not, please keep it to yourself, because I don't really want to know". Dan has emailed to say he's safely back in his Californian home.

I decided that I could live without Lakeside today, and, in any case, I am in a heightened state of euphoria. :D My only comfortable pair of shoes are falling apart. They have been repaired with black insulating tape where the uppers have parted company with the lowers. I look like a bag lady, and a poor one at that.

I braved it to the funeral in my smart patent heels, but these flat shoes have been cut by me at the sides to accommodate bunions, bent toes et al. I looked online but couldn't find anything similar.

Then, in a moment of sheer inspiration, I looked on Shoe Zo*e's site - and there they were! I have had them for 2 years so wasn't expecting to find them still available. In a moment of utter recklessness I have ordered 2 pairs, at a cost of £9.99 each. :) I could have wept with joy when I espied them, and suddenly, the world is a happier place.

I'm going to have a go sorting one of John's wardrobes. I don't have very much here because most of his stuff was at the Care Home, and I asked them to take the stuff to the charity shop, but I can manage one cupboard and a couple of drawers.

My feet are so happy!

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
When my son asks that (the one from the USA), he probably means the same as your son. When my daughter asks that it means "if you're not, please keep it to yourself, because I don't really want to know". Dan has emailed to say he's safely back in his Californian home.

I decided that I could live without Lakeside today, and, in any case, I am in a heightened state of euphoria. :D My only comfortable pair of shoes are falling apart. They have been repaired with black insulating tape where the uppers have parted company with the lowers. I look like a bag lady, and a poor one at that.

I braved it to the funeral in my smart patent heels, but these flat shoes have been cut by me at the sides to accommodate bunions, bent toes et al. I looked online but couldn't find anything similar.

Then, in a moment of sheer inspiration, I looked on Shoe Zo*e's site - and there they were! I have had them for 2 years so wasn't expecting to find them still available. In a moment of utter recklessness I have ordered 2 pairs, at a cost of £9.99 each. :) I could have wept with joy when I espied them, and suddenly, the world is a happier place.

I'm going to have a go sorting one of John's wardrobes. I don't have very much here because most of his stuff was at the Care Home, and I asked them to take the stuff to the charity shop, but I can manage one cupboard and a couple of drawers.

My feet are so happy!

Hi 'happy feet' hope the sorting out of John's things go well. What would we ever do without tape that's how I am keeping Maureen's rings on her fingers at the moment. Take good care Grey Lad

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Am sad for those of you who have family living so far away. It must be an additional hardship when you have just lost the person you loved most in the world not to have them near. Thinking of all of you. Verity

Sent from my GT-N5110

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Well I now feel I can tackle anything, because I've braved the world of ..... cars. :eek: John had a Motability car. It's 15 months old, with less than 2.000 miles on the clock, because I only used it to visit John, or take him to appointments, and the first 8 months, before he went into the Care Home, and was attending Day Centres, that's all I used it for.

I know it'll have to go back, so I am phoning the dealer's from whence it came tomorrow, and asking how much the same model is brand new, cash, and then, after umming and aahing, and asking if that's their best offer, asking what I could buy this one for. I know Motability don't do this at a favourable price, like they used to, as they can get a better price at auction. But I can try. :)

In order to sound confident :eek: I have been reading up on depreciation, and illuminating things like that. John always said that a car lost 25% of its value, the minute it was driven off the forecourt. But he also said he could have scored several goals for West Ham blindfold, when he was in his 60s, with a replacement knee, so I can't trust everything he said. ;)

But after reading up on it, he's not far off in his calculations. So that's tomorrow's focus, and I have a morning visitor and an afternoon one, so busy, busy, busy and time to stick my rod of iron back down my spine.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
You do know you don't have to hand the motability car back straight away. I think you have approx one month to 6 weeks

I also think it's worth contacting them for a price for you to buy it. They have less costs that way as they don't have to pay auction fees. It's worth a try

Mum bought her partners car when he died - it was priced at "market price" for it's condition, but that was over 4 years ago so it may have changed by now but as I said, it must be worth an ask

Unless you are after a red racing car with turbo oomph :D :D

xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
You do know you don't have to hand the motability car back straight away. I think you have approx one month to 6 weeks

I also think it's worth contacting them for a price for you to buy it. They have less costs that way as they don't have to pay auction fees. It's worth a try

Mum bought her partners car when he died - it was priced at "market price" for it's condition, but that was over 4 years ago so it may have changed by now but as I said, it must be worth an ask

Unless you are after a red racing car with turbo oomph :D :D

xx

Yes, that's what I'm going to do. Ask the price of a brand new one, and then ask what I could buy this for. Although John died 2 days before Christmas, and the world shut down for a fortnight, it'll be 3 weeks the day after tomorrow, so I want to find out where I stand.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
A red racing car with turbo oomph - very outré these days - 2jays - what Scarlett needs is a sophisticated, white, long bonneted, soft-top Mecedes Coupe with beige leather interior and gold-plated cigar lighter.

Be strong Scarlett - get a good deal.

Lots of love

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Yeah the Mercedes sounds better but instead of gold plated cigar lighter a gold plated handbag holder perhaps??

:D :D