Pete's long goodbye is over

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Lyn, I hope that everything today is as you want it to be, and that Pete's funeral is a testament to the lovely man you shared your life with. He can hear everything you want to say, whether you make a sound or not. He will be so proud of his girl, who nursed him so devotedly during his Long Goodbye.

You were fortunate to share so many years with this lovely man, and the emails you've received and posted, are testament to the high regard in which others held him. He'll be watching you and sending all his love to you, and there is nothing you can do, or not do, that will dim that love, ever.

All of us on TP will be there, invisible friends, who understand, and care for you so much. John will be guiding Pete to the Best Seat In The House, and they, and all the other lads, and lasses, who have passed, will be watching you, and wrapping you in their love too.

We only know each others partners' through TP and what we write about them. But their loved ones know what they were like when they were fit and well, and have a heart that is bursting full of memories.

I'll be holding your hand, dear Lyn, as you held mine a couple of days ago. And Pete's love will never leave your side. xxx

What a beautiful post Scarlett.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Dear Lyn. Your celebration will be over when you read this but have been thinking of you today. Hope all went as well as it could and you had masses of support. As someone said earlier, we were all in the empty seats. Love. Verityxx

Sent from my GT-N5110

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Dear Lyn thought about you all day in hope it all went as you wished xxxx we are all still beside you ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Thinking of you Lyn, as I have been many times through the day. I am sure you did Pete proud today - as you have done all the way through. I hope you can get some much needed rest tonight. Take care, with love xx

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I've been thinking about you all day Lyn, and am sure you must feel exhausted. I hope the day went well and everything was how you wanted it to be.

Jan x

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dear Lyn, I too have been thinking about you all of today, wishing you strength. Hoping that today was all that you wished it to be and that your love for Pete, and his for you, carried you through.

You must be very tired tonight and I do hope you manage some refreshing sleep if possible.

My thoughts and my love are with you.

Loo xxx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Well that's it. It's over.

The celebration couldn't have gone any better. There was banter, laughter, and tears-think the Vicar of Dibley without a Vicar!!!!!!!

The celebration was packed and so was the pub afterwards.

I was so overwhelmed with the number of the people waiting to go into the room I started to cry as soon as I got there. My friend P, whose own mother has AD, was the first one to give me a hug, and her ex partner T, whose mother is no longer safe to be in her own home, were both visibly upset.

A. read a poem, I. talked about P and managed to get to the end. Then K. gave a speech going through Pete's life-he struggled as he said ' I miss him. He was my friend' he couldn't go on-but no one minded. Then it was my turn.

I stood up and talked about our adventures; missed flights home 2 days spent in a Tunisia police station after we had been robbed (long story) and ending up on Jersey (we should have been in majorca) where we were questioned for 2 hours by customs because they thought we were drug smugglers (even longer story)

I said we would all miss Pete for so many reasons-his compassion, his loyalty, and the care he offered people. I said I would miss him for the love we shared, his ability to beat me at Scrabble, and his competitiveness in trying to grow bigger sunflowers than I could. I said we would all miss him for his kindness, his uniqueness and quirkiness. I thanked him for asking me to share his life. I can't remember the rest.

Like Scarlett I received a standing ovation.

My daughter was in bits from beginning to end. There were tears from just about everyone. My Grandson was watching a cartoon DVD and was giggling during quiet moments (daughter thought it was best to distract him because that little man cannot stop talking)

At the pub my Son in Law asked for quiet and I thanked the carers who were there. There was applause for them and 'thank yous' from everyone. The food was great and everywhere I went I could hear people talking about Pete and what he meant to them.

Through it all I knew all of your thoughts and love were with me. Your arms rested easily and comfortingly round my shoulders-for that I thank you all.

Scarlett -I wonder what Pete and John thought from their ringside seats?

Now we must again gather together and support WIFE through her heartbreaking loss.

Love from

Lyn T

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
If pleased can be used at a time like this, I`m so pleased for you Lyn. So Pleased it all went as you wished.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Soft and fluffy with a rod of iron

Well done to you and how wonderful that people who really mattered were there.

Still holding you tight xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Wow Lyn. What an amazing celebration of Pete's life. Well done. You and Scarlett are two very special people. x

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
A true celebration for Pete, Lyn. I'm pleased it went so well. It's been so remarkable sharing this with you and Scarlett too. I think you are both amazing xxx