Do I really need a Health & Welfare POA

Leswi

Jul 13, 2014
Bedfordshire
I should add that the memory clinic are now happy to speak to me and don't need to see mum any more. We have made a couple of medication changes based on info that I relate, never been asked for any authorisation in writing. At GP getting past the 'guards' on reception can be an issue sometimes,but doctors themselves are very helpful, happy to speak on phone etc and try to avoid actually physically involving mum most times now,even for UTI,they accepted me taking a specimen and prescribed accordingly.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I've found the post I think I was referring to. I've copied it below:

You might want to have a look at the Mental Capacity Code of Practice

Section 5 deals with making decisions in a person's best interests, and who should be consulted. These include

– anyone previously named by the person as someone to be consulted on either the decision in question or on similar issues
– anyone engaged in caring for the person
– close relatives, friends or others who take an interest in the person’s welfare
– any attorney appointed under a Lasting Power of Attorney or Enduring Power of Attorney made by the person
– any deputy appointed by the Court of Protection to make decisions for the person
As you already fall within at least 2 categories, an LPA wouldn't give you any more say.

Section 9 deals with Advance Decisions.

It was posted by Sue38 (thanks Sue:)). I found it reassuring myself as I don't have the H&W POA.

I found the thread by putting 'health and welfare' in the advanced search box and specifying 'titles only'. There are quite a few relevant threads.

angelicatoo

May 17, 2014
Plymouth
I was wondering if an advanced decision is enough to protect my interests as well as doing one of those 'this is me' things, as I would not want any intervention health wise apart from pain and comfort, nothing that kept me alive longer than necessary.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I was wondering if an advanced decision is enough to protect my interests as well as doing one of those 'this is me' things, as I would not want any intervention health wise apart from pain and comfort, nothing that kept me alive longer than necessary.

Nor me. If I ever develop dementia, God forbid, then the sooner Nature can find a way to carry me off, the better. I would emphatically not want any meds or procedures to keep me 'healthy" so that I can go on and on, and end up like my poor mother. A fate far worse than death, as far as I am concerned,

flowerforhope

Jan 8, 2015
South of England
I completely feel the same way...

Nor me. If I ever develop dementia, God forbid, then the sooner Nature can find a way to carry me off, the better. I would emphatically not want any meds or procedures to keep me 'healthy" so that I can go on and on, and end up like my poor mother. A fate far worse than death, as far as I am concerned,

cold feet

Nov 19, 2010
Essex

Me too. No question.

SueShell

Sep 13, 2012
Orpington
Its vital you have Health and Welfare POA. I've only just discovered that if it comes to something life threatening where resusitation is required they will try to do this. If you have POA they must carry out your wishes, eg Do Not Resuscitate. I'm so glad I did this as the snr nurse at the CH told me they are obligated to carry out CPR without it. Its all the legal changes that have to be adhered with in the medical profession.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
I've only just discovered that if it comes to something life threatening where resusitation is required they will try to do this. If you have POA they must carry out your wishes, eg Do Not Resuscitate. I'm so glad I did this as the snr nurse at the CH told me they are obligated to carry out CPR without it.

This is true. I had this discussion when Mum went into respite - at the time, I was told about an "incident" with another resident.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...if it comes to something life threatening where resusitation is required they will try to do this. If you have POA they must carry out your wishes, eg Do Not Resuscitate..."

Only if the donor signed option A on page 6 of the LPA

"...the snr nurse at the CH told me they are obligated to carry out CPR without it..."

Not if there is a DNAR or advanced care plan saying 'no CPR' in place

The LPA does however give authority over decisions on any life-sustaining treatment and not just CPR.

In the absence of a DNR, or a decision from an attorney, or an advanced care plan specifying no CPR, clinicians will always attempt resuscitation out of a fear of being sued.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
These generalisations do not explain the stories on here about carers discovering that there's a DNR on the notes when they, the attorney, have not been consulted.

If you read the whole thread you will find that there is a duty to consult on these matters, whether you have POA or not.

Leswi

Jul 13, 2014
Bedfordshire
On the subject of DNR I have an appointment at the GP this week to complete the paperwork for mum. As I said previously we do not have POA papers but I have always been to appointments with mum and when she was still able to communicate her wishes she asked GP to explain things to me on her behalf. GP is happy for me to make the DNR decision and sign papers so I guess this is based on what he has witnessed to be a relationship of trust.

Lancashirelady

Oct 7, 2014
On the subject of DNR I have an appointment at the GP this week to complete the paperwork for mum. As I said previously we do not have POA papers but I have always been to appointments with mum and when she was still able to communicate her wishes she asked GP to explain things to me on her behalf. GP is happy for me to make the DNR decision and sign papers so I guess this is based on what he has witnessed to be a relationship of trust.

Same here. It;s all a bit ridiculous as Dad agreed that the GP could discuss his medical situation with me when he had already got to the point where he hadn't got a clue what was going on. He also had a newly qualified social worker who constantly asked Dad for his permission to do anything as she'd obviously had it drummed into her that it was essential. His reflex response was to say no to everything and I ended up having to contradict him, at which point he would always agree. I felt like a bully but it was the only way to get anything done. I know that legally they have to ask but the law does not understand dementia! So yes, get the POA done. Our solicitor only recommended we do the financial one but in hindsight getting both would have been much better

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN