Recommendations for clothes labelling

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
I bought bright yellow edging tape and wrote on it in black permanent marker. It made socks etc quick and easy to identify. Yes I had to sew them, but folded the length of tape in half and sewed the narrow edges on as one...with double thread and big stitches!!!

My efforts were appreciated by the lady in charge of the laundry.

CARERVAL

Nov 12, 2012
I agree, mum was in 3 homes in all the third was the worse but we often found her wearing someone else's clothes how ever well we labeled hers. She was a size 16 so you can imagine our dismay when we discovered she was wearing size 12 knickers. If you can take the laundry home it's your best bet, though he'll need a good supply so they don't run out between visits. Also they seem to boil everything so don't leave any decent knitwear or it'll come back child size:(

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Hi, I got sew-in labels from a company called Woven Labels UK. Not expensive at all and very fast delivery. They also sell little plastic fasteners called 'Rivvits' which can be used where sewing is awkward (or just to save time on sewing); brilliant for mum's purse and handbag. Used a Sharpie pen for shoes, slippers, backs of photos, alarm clock etc.

The home asked us for a full written inventory and I kept updating this as needed. Also took a photo on my phone of every single item so when the odd item went walkabout I could show the staff exactly what they were looking for. This was very helpful when her glasses disappeared and they were found very quickly. Never saw mum wearing anyone else's clothes so system seemed to work well.

http://www.wovenlabelsuk.com

Last edited:

Lizziedalia

May 25, 2011
Greater London
Clothes labelling

Hi:rolleyes:,

This is what I am using and I have tested: 100 Plain White Iron on Name Tapes with Black Permanent Laundry Maker Pen - Name Tag Labels - Name Tag Labels - Ideal for Childrens School Uniform or Nursing / Care Homes at amazon.

My mum is in a nursing home and effectively they do the clothes labeling which is excellent. The only drawback is that the labels are a bit wide and fabric is a bit cramped when stuck on it. So now I am doing it myself using the above labels when I renew her clothes. For shoes I use the all surface marker on the inside of the shoes (seems to work).

A tip for socks : better to have it on the part of the sock covering the top of the foot in vertical line. This way the sock is easy to put on as no elastic on this part of the fabric. Plus the laundry people can find the name easily. It is also better to use a pen especially designed for fabric. I did use the all surface pen but after a while the name started disappearing.

Cheers,:) Lizziedalia

Danelover

May 2, 2013
Labelling is ongoing I find

Hi,
I use most of the aforementioned methods and carry them with me in my bag to label and re label new things/faded things and things which just reappear after disappearing.

I am at my wits end.......
I insist on washing mums jumpers and prefer to wash her trousers too as the laundry tumble and iron them very badly. After agreeing to let laundry take over the trousers for a few weeks she now tends only to have 1 spare pair in her wardrobe ( she has 10 pairs all labelled at the home). It is an ongoing thing to communicate this and I weekly tell them she needs more, manager does her best and reimbursed me for 2 pairs the laundry mangled, she is v frustrated. A friend in another county said the same .
Tie or stitch dressing gown belt to gown as they will part company!
So you need lots of trousers. I keep spare clothes for mum at my house in case of mishaps. My sister in Law washes FIL jumpers too.Such a shame but I feel it is worth the effort unless I get depression again and ill let them do it all.

good luck

janp273

Jun 2, 2013
Clothes labels

Hi all,

We're new here :(

My father in law is due to be going to a nursing home in the coming weeks and we're looking at labelling his clothes so they're not lost in the laundry system. Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Many thanks in advance,

Steve

Hi Steve,
My dad has been in a care home for a couple of years now, and I have found these to be useful. They are from Label Planet and are called STIKINS. They just stick on to the wash label or other area of the clothing and are really good value for money. Sorry I haven't posted enough times to be able to send links, but if you google the names I'm sure they will take you to correct site
Hope this helps.
Jan :)

Lovetosing

Sep 15, 2013
West Midlands
My advice is sew the labels in and mark everything else

Hi Steve

My advice is to sew in whatever labels you get. I get sticky backed iron on pre printed labels but have found that they do come off in the wash so now I sew them in and find that works best. I write dad's name with a permanent black ink pen on the inside of belts, shoes, slippers and any other personal items taken into his room. I think loss of clothing and damaged clothing is a very frustrating part of care home life no matter how hard they try. I would also be very careful with the fabric of the clothing you send with your fil as we have found to our cost that tumble driers are inevitably used and shrink woollen fabrics to a child size garment! There is undoubtedly a large amount of laundry to be undertaken for an unusually large number of people on a daily basis. Thus, mistakes inevitably happen unless we, as the carers, take steps to try to avoid such incidents. Good luck. Hope all goes well with the move, settling in period and of course the laundry!

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
When my step mother was in care the home offered a labelling service.
It was about £10 for the duration of their stay.
Oddly a study was done and they found the average stay was only 7 months so I will leave you to decide if it is reasonable value.
Other relatives said the labels worked.
Oddly 1 resident had been there for 8 years. They excluded her from the stats as she was only supposed to live for a year.
I presume her labelling was still being done for what was first paid.

William

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Oddly a study was done and they found the average stay was only 7 months so I will leave you to decide if it is reasonable value.
Oddly 1 resident had been there for 8 years. They excluded her from the stats as she was only supposed to live for a year.

William

Pete's CH did all the labelling:) If I'd had to do I would have willingly paid £10.00. Bargain.

William I am confused. If a resident has been excluded from the stats -they aren't true stats. I would have expected someone who had lived in a CH for eight years WOULD have been INCLUDED as it could be a good reflection on the care given:confused:

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
Pete's CH did all the labelling:) If I'd had to do I would have willingly paid £10.00. Bargain.

William I am confused. If a resident has been excluded from the stats -they aren't true stats. I would have expected someone who had lived in a CH for eight years WOULD have been INCLUDED as it could be a good reflection on the care given:confused:

Hi Lyn

I see what you are saying and stats are created for various reasons.
When I was at work I was asked to work out the average distance customers were from us.
As far as I know they were thinking of altering the delivery system although it never happened.
We included customers as far as Paris and Ireland and from all parts of the UK where 99% of our customers were located
We had a customer in Australia and Singapore who purchased from us about twice a year but we sent the items by courier as they tended to be small.
We did not include them in our stats.
To be honest we were surprised they dealt with us for so long as I thought their requirements could have been satisfied locally.

William

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Lyn

I see what you are saying and stats are created for various reasons.
When I was at work I was asked to work out the average distance customers were from us.
As far as I know they were thinking of altering the delivery system although it never happened.
We included customers as far as Paris and Ireland and from all parts of the UK where 99% of our customers were located
We had a customer in Australia and Singapore who purchased from us about twice a year but we sent the items by courier as they tended to be small.
We did not include them in our stats.
To be honest we were surprised they dealt with us for so long as I thought their requirements could have been satisfied locally.

William

Well I can sort of understand that. Customers in Europe not the rest of the world.

In the CH stats why leave out someone who had longevity? It doesn't make sense to me for the reasons I have already stated

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London

William

My mother has been in her CH now for 7 years and 5 months.