Sensitivity to noise.

BabyBoomer

Oct 13, 2014
Hi all, happy to report we had a lovely Christmas. I went to share lunch at NH and left when Dad went to bed for his afternoon sleep. He is settled although is very sensitive to noise. Through the day he jumps at loud noises, he is half blind so he can be startled easily. He also has heart failure and newly diagnosed with renal failure. He is mostly always tired and naps frequently but can carry a short conversation .

In the NH on the floor below some of the end stage dementia patients can be very noisy, screaming etc. This is disturbing Dad on a nightly basis especially because of his hypersensitivity. He already has a mild sedative at night, but nurse said docs reluctant to prescribe stronger because of renal failure as it might be life threatening. We go to renal clinic next week.

Help please, has anyone any ideas how I can help him?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

BabyBoomer

Oct 13, 2014
Hi Joanne, ear plugs did cross my mind but not sure if he could cope. Might try them though with carers help . Thanks, he said the other day that he couldn't understand why they let people like that in a hotel like this!!!

skeletor

Apr 23, 2014
Ear plugs

Hi Joanne, ear plugs did cross my mind but not sure if he could cope. Might try them though with carers help . Thanks, he said the other day that he couldn't understand why they let people like that in a hotel like this!!!

Hi I know exactly what you mean by noise, I am early/mid as I was diagnosed 3yrs ago. Try bikers ear plugs as they are more sensitive to the ears and blogs out a lot of noise. Unfortunately most bikers wet them first, sounds pretty yuck, but it works. I rode a Harley all over Europe good old days..... But noise sounds like base on full blast echoing though your head. Does me in as well... Hope this helps it does take a while to get used to them but hope you have some success...

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
My husband has PCA which is a rare type of Alzheimers which has left him blind. He is very sensitive to noise and finds it confusing. He can get quite anxious if I try to watch anything on TV even the news which has noisy or upsetting content. I now do not watch much TV but find that if I do want to watch something he is quite happy sitting beside me listening to music on headphones. Maybe you could get a small portable CD player with headphones for you dad and suggest they try it in the CH if he appears distressed by the noise. My husband also enjoys the audio versions of comedy programmes such as Dads Army. These always make him smile which is lovely.
Tre

BabyBoomer

Oct 13, 2014
Thanks skeletor (gosh that name brings back memories). I have just bought some silicone earplugs today and asked the nurse to help him put them in tonight. We'll see how they do.

Tre , it's mainly at night he has problems , through the day there is music playing through the sound system and this does help. Not sure if music playing in his room would work at night, but it's on the list of things to try if earplugs don't work.

It seems that all we do is firefight ie sort out one issue/ problem then another one arises. Oh to have a period of calm xxx