How can this be?

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
I have this feeling Miss M that this year is going to be a challenge, think that's why I felt such trepidation at New Year.

The care home manager today said "none if us know, it could take weeks to progress or years but in the last year things have moved very fast". I have a feeling she thinks I'm hoping mum will suddenly recover, she's trying to prepare me. I think her deterioration is just shocking to me because it's happening so fast. I really thought it would be more gradual.

She asked if I have people to talk to. I said "yes, plenty" ;) x

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Glad you've seen a little improvement today AG:)xx

I felt better seeing her more 'with it' Sue. I can't stand the thought of not communicating with her.

She's eating much better so hopefully will get a bit more strength xxx

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Oh AG, I didn't see your post yesterday - I'm not sure how I missed it.

I'm so glad the care home called out the GP because that was my first thought, and of course, now he's been. Such a sudden deterioration surely isn't the norm - even the muscle wastage he has suggested seems a bit odd to me (although I don't know if I should have said that as I don't want to alarm you and of course I'm no doctor). But wouldn't muscle wastage be much more gradual?

In any case, I'm glad she's a little bit improved today, and am keeping everything crossed that this continues.

Do keep us posted if you can xx

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Glad GP has been, keeping fingers crossed for you. I have to say I really thought my Mum was heading towards end stages a few months ago, but she has rallied for now, hoping for the same for your Mum xx

Ange

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Glad GP has been, keeping fingers crossed for you. I have to say I really thought my Mum was heading towards end stages a few months ago, but she has rallied for now, hoping for the same for your Mum xx

Ange

I wouldn't have thought two days would be so different but I'm learning that there are no rules in this game xxx

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Oh AG, I didn't see your post yesterday - I'm not sure how I missed it.

I'm so glad the care home called out the GP because that was my first thought, and of course, now he's been. Such a sudden deterioration surely isn't the norm - even the muscle wastage he has suggested seems a bit odd to me (although I don't know if I should have said that as I don't want to alarm you and of course I'm no doctor). But wouldn't muscle wastage be much more gradual?

In any case, I'm glad she's a little bit improved today, and am keeping everything crossed that this continues.

Do keep us posted if you can xx

Hi CG. She has lost so much weight and quite quickly. I really don't know. She literally doesn't seem to be able to straighten up. I can't tell if she physically can't for some reason or if she has forgotten in some way how to sit and stand straight. They let her lie in on New Year's Day because she was lying straight in bed and looked so comfortable. I'd like to think the soft, warm throw I bought for her bed for Xmas is making her feel so comfy! ;)

How is your mum doing?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
So glad to hear there has been some improvement today AG.

I think it's so hard when things suddenly change and you don't really know why. And neither, apparently, does anyone else. You can get used to most things but when they start to change rapidly it is very hard to adjust. So any improvement is so welcome.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
So glad to hear there has been some improvement today AG.

I think it's so hard when things suddenly change and you don't really know why. And neither, apparently, does anyone else. You can get used to most things but when they start to change rapidly it is very hard to adjust. So any improvement is so welcome.

So very true StanleyPJ xxx

bluejag69

Oct 3, 2014
Hi CG. She has lost so much weight and quite quickly. I really don't know. She literally doesn't seem to be able to straighten up. I can't tell if she physically can't for some reason or if she has forgotten in some way how to sit and stand straight. They let her lie in on New Year's Day because she was lying straight in bed and looked so comfortable. I'd like to think the soft, warm throw I bought for her bed for Xmas is making her feel so comfy! ;)

How is your mum doing?

I know how you feel its scary how quickly they can deteriorate. Dad looks like a skeleton with skin on and is being pushed round in a wheelchair. You never know what you are goin to get each time you go in do you? Hope your mum is ok and you are too xxx

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Glad to hear there's some improvement AG. I hope this continues.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Thank you Jan x

I would be happy if she plateaued for a while. Just to give us time to breathe and adjust. It just feels relentless.

ChloeE

Oct 9, 2014
This is so traumatic, how can someone deteriorate so quickly like this? I always thought loses would be gradual, it's now daily. It's breaking my heart. Oh mum :([/QUOTE]

Yes an infection can have a remarkably dramatic result. Three years back my Mum was fine - running a household - and within 24 hours she was displaying all the symptoms of dementia whilst apparently healthy. I called the Alzheimer's Society because I was so confused and they mentioned the possibility of a Urinary Tract Infection. My mother has diabetes and apparently an infection interacts with diabetes to exacerbate the situation and my Mother was effectively delirious, without either of being conscious that she was ill. So it may be something quite simple. I wish you all the best.
ChloeE

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Anongirl

I hope your Mum continues to improve-it's such a shock to see these sudden downturns. Sometimes there is no explanation which makes it even more hard to bear/understand.

Thinking of you

Love

Lyn T

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Reading your mum had had two seizures sent alarm bells ringing anongirl.

I`m no medic but I do know they can cause damage. Whether the damage is permanent or temporary remains to be seen and I`m pleased your mum is showing signs of improvement.

Lisajk

Aug 31, 2014
Nottinghamshire
So sorry to read this. Has mum had plenty to drink? Dehydration in the elderly happens quickly and can leave people feeling very lethargic, weak and thoroughly rotten. Hope you can get to the bottom of it. It seems a very quick deterioration to be dementia related.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
So sorry to read this. Has mum had plenty to drink? Dehydration in the elderly happens quickly and can leave people feeling very lethargic, weak and thoroughly rotten. Hope you can get to the bottom of it. It seems a very quick deterioration to be dementia related.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Hi Lisajk. For several weeks/months she hasn't been eating and drinking well at all. I think this has caused havoc in her body. Her weight has plummeted. Strangely since her second seizure she has been eating and drinking much better and accepting the Fortisips.

It's as if something has been switched off but her appetite has switched back on ?

LynT, this has been the most worrying thing, not having any explanations. It's unnerving x

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Another big difference today. The carer at the door greeted me with "you won't believe the difference today!".

She was sat at the carer's table having a chat and eating biscuits with a glass of milk. Her head more upright (she is still holding her neck though). She was happy to see me and we had a lovely chat.

I'm baffled. If any of you had seen her sat in a wheelchair on Thursday, chin on her chest, unable to say a word or walk you wouldn't have believed this is the same woman.

Can this really happen?

There's a horrible thought in my brain which I'm worried to say out loud on here. Could the CH be sedating her without telling me? I asked if she had been given Trazadone and two carers said she hadn't had it for several days because she hadn't needed it (it is now given on a prn basis if she is particularly agitated). They do keep very meticulous records and I can access these records at any time. They have no reason to lie to me. I even spoke to the manager who was the one who told me they were ringing the GP to check on her. Every instinct says I am wrong, I have never seen anything which concerns me and I have even spoken to residents who told me they have nothing but care and attention from the staff. That always seems to be the case. In fact one lady said she felt too "fussed over" !

My brain is running overtime trying to find answers, I'm probably well off the mark.

Reading what you say about your experiences perhaps this is just how it is now, up and down?

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I am so glad that Mum has picked up AG. It would be hard to work out the reason as there are so many variables. If the CH had given her medication, they will now be aware that you are watching; I think it is unlikely that they did. It could have been so many things, but the best part is that she seems fine at the moment.

Sadly, these days happen, but hopefully not too often. A good start to 2015!

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
I am so glad that Mum has picked up AG. It would be hard to work out the reason as there are so many variables. If the CH had given her medication, they will now be aware that you are watching; I think it is unlikely that they did. It could have been so many things, but the best part is that she seems fine at the moment.

Sadly, these days happen, but hopefully not too often. A good start to 2015!

Thanks Jan. Perhaps I have read too many news articles!

A few weeks ago I left mum at the CH looking ok but a couple of hours later my brother texted to say mum seemed exceptionally confused and didn't know him (highly unusual and hasn't happened since). He said she seemed sedated. I think this has sown a seed.

I have seen her after Trazadone and it just appears to make her very tired.

Anyway I am truly grateful to see her alert again. I gave her the longest hug I have ever given! Just in case the next time I see her I can't do that.

X