Lost Dentures - do I replace them?

RobinH

Apr 9, 2012
London
Mum has (had) partial dentures top and bottom. She has the habit of talking them out when she's sitting alone, and either putting them in a cup (often full of tea!) or wrapping them in a tissue. A few days ago they disappeared. I would guess she put them in a tissue and an inattentive carer threw them in the bin.

I spoke to her dentist. They would need to start agan from scratch, 4-5 visits, delay and cost. Mum hated the fitting process last time and got quite upset.

Do I get another set made (knowing they will probably go the same way in the next few months) or give up and leave her with her own teeth? I knew when she moved into Extra Care (with some pretty dozy carers) that they were likely to go missing. I have thought and thought but have no way of preventing them disappearing again.

Thanks in advance

Robin

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I think it would be a waste of time and money Robin, as long as your mum can eat ok and it seems as though she can, it would be just one more thing to worry about and cause her upset, they were probably causing some discomfort and that is why she kept taking them out,

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I think it would be a waste of time and money Robin, as long as your mum can eat ok and it seems as though she can, it would be just one more thing to worry about and cause her upset, they were probably causing some discomfort and that is why she kept taking them out,

Totally agree. Jeannette

Anniewragby

Mar 20, 2013

I agree, my mum has lost her bottom set,she was sayinv that they were uncomfortable and then she didn't know where they were! She can eat well- including jammy dodgers so I'm not replacing them. Still decidind what to do about the glases!
all the best fkr 2015

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Mum has lost her glasses. She has been going to the same optometrist for years but considering mum has no idea what she uses the glasses for I am not going to replace.
Not sure if mum would be able to answer the fitting questions

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Agree totally with both problems of lost teeth and glasses, my Mum would never be able to go through the fitting stages and certainly would have no clue regarding eyesight tests. Xx

Ange

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I have replaced mums glasses. They due in new year. Her bottom teeth on the other hand I have not replaced. She was still managing to eat a "normal" meal and biscuits with only her top teeth..... Even though they are loose now due to gum shrinkage but there is no way I will get them replaced. Before dementia she had difficulty replacing them as she has an extreme gag reflex and would be cruel to try now I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Agree totally with both problems of lost teeth and glasses, my Mum would never be able to go through the fitting stages and certainly would have no clue regarding eyesight tests. Xx

Ange

Agree 100%. Spent ages in CH hunting for one partial denture - pointless when she just kept taking it out - or refusing to have it in in the first place - and hiding/losing it. Hardly any teeth now but still manages to eat OK. Ditto glasses - so long spent hunting down two expensive pairs but they were largely for reading, and since she hadn't read anything, or wanted to, for ages...

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
When mum continually lost her glasses ( they were reading glasses, worn randoml or not as the case maybe) I dug out her prescription, and went on a buying spree at Poundland, with the nearest to her prescription that I could source.

I gave her a pair and cited ''your new glasses'' and had about 5 identical pairs stashed away. It worked a treat- although she wore them randomly, she always worried where they were. Funnily enough I could always locate them!

Once in residential care, it was a real bonus- one less thing to worry about.

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Agree with posters about teeth if eating is possible without. Re glasses, if needed for normal sight I would be tempted to try once more. If she can't make correct comments im pretty certain they can do something as optometrists manage to give non verbal babies glasses so there must be a way. Wouldn't bother if purely for reading. If your mum gets comfort from pictures on tv it may be also be an idea. Only my thoughts but may be completely inappropriate in your circumstances. Apologies in advance if it is.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Since OH has gone to the Day Centre he's been given a new set of glasses and I've been told he is eligible for a new set for free every year. I guess I will just collect the old ones in case he starts losing them!

JoInBrumUK

Jan 4, 2015
Birmingham
I can so sympathise with this topic. We must have spent hundreds of pounds on replacement dentures over the last few years :(. Finally decided that enough was enough, especially as mom always complained that they hurt - which is presumably why she kept taking them out and losing them :). I'm fairly certain that they have ended up in the bin wrapped in tissues.

Mom manages on her prefered soft diet quite happily without bottom teeth - so all OK.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa