anti anxiety medication - any advice please?

susieanddoug

Dec 26, 2014
Hello,
My Mum is mid-stage Alzheimer's suffering with severe anxiety and no medication seems to help. The latest tablets [Lorezepam] have just overly sedated her, which is very upsetting to see.
Does anyone have any advice/experience regarding medication for anxiety?
Mum's doctors just seem unable to do anything.

Many thanks in advance,
very best wishes to everyone
x

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
How much is she taking? I find halfmg eases my mum's anxiety, without sending her into a deep sleep and therefore becoming very unsteady on her legs. She no longer takes it as a sleeping aid.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

What meds apart from this one have been tried? Any of the SSRI type meds (such as citalopram)?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband has been given the lowest dose of Trazedone as well as his Zopiclone sleeping tablet. He still has the same obsessions but is calmer about them and I can generally talk him round. He may need to take a higher dose if it becomes more difficult. Not pleasant to do this but he is not overly sedated and is at home and well looked after.

susieanddoug

Dec 26, 2014
How much is she taking? I find halfmg eases my mum's anxiety, without sending her into a deep sleep and therefore becoming very unsteady on her legs. She no longer takes it as a sleeping aid.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I will ask about the SSRI meds.
Mum takes 1.5mg pd, combined with Rispiridone[?] and also something else. Seems quite a cocktail. We have requested a list of her medication so will find out tomorrow.
Apparently the doctors have tried many things, but none of which have any effect. Strange that such an old lady is impervious to strong medications...

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Strange that such an old lady is impervious to strong medications.

It is indeed. My Mam was prescribed 2mg Diazepam (or was it Lorazepam, I've forgotten now) during the last month of her life, they bounced off her but when my sister was distraught after Mam's death I gave her one and she sat grinning for five minutes then slept the whole afternoon.

Constitution of an Ox, my Mam, these things are so dependant upon the individual aren't they?

I hope they are able to find something to ease her anxiety. I would rather be calm and sleepy than awake and anxious. Best wishes.

Mums helper

Sep 7, 2014
My mum tried Lorazapam, it didn't settle her at night but the following day she was like a zombie. She is on a low dose of Pericyzone, which is an anti anxiety medicine and she is much happier, seems more able to focus and a lot less likely to become agitated. She still doesn't sleep at night but the days are so much nicer.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar