Not eating or drinking after fall...

mtsg

Sep 30, 2012
Hi everyone please I need advice . My mum is in hospital after having 2 falls in last 2 weeks she did go back to RH but got admitted again for refusing to eat & drink anything or take her meds she only wanted to sleep she couldn't comunnicate with anyone just mumbled as if she had had a stroke. When she got to hospital her oxygen levels were dangerously low she was dehydrated,She is incontinant which started a couple of months ago. She hardly opens her eyes. I just would like to know if anyone else has gone through this and can give me honest advice only when I ask nurses they say it's part of her dementia it's so heartbreaking to watch. Thank you in advance

wobbly

Feb 14, 2012
Mid Wales
sometimes they just seem to give up, maybe due to infection etc, its so hard for us to watch...and sometimes they rally round, just so hard to predict.....I'm sorry its so hard for you at the moment and will be thinking of you and your mum, take care....

greenpea

Aug 12, 2014
Dad was like that a while back. Turned out he had a kidney infection. He was in hospital for 3 weeks, after losing quite a bit of weight, and started eating again gradually. Could it be because of being dehydrated and her low oxygen levels? The doctor is the best person to talk to.

mtsg

Sep 30, 2012
sometimes they just seem to give up, maybe due to infection etc, its so hard for us to watch...and sometimes they rally round, just so hard to predict.....I'm sorry its so hard for you at the moment and will be thinking of you and your mum, take care....

Thank you for replying and it is so hard to watch her like this

mtsg

Sep 30, 2012
Dad was like that a while back. Turned out he had a kidney infection. He was in hospital for 3 weeks, after losing quite a bit of weight, and started eating again gradually. Could it be because of being dehydrated and her low oxygen levels? The doctor is the best person to talk to.

Hi they have carried out test for urine etc and they can't find anything we do ask questions but never get straight answers. Thank you for reply

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi they have carried out test for urine etc and they can't find anything we do ask questions but never get straight answers. Thank you for reply

I'm so sorry to read about your Mum. Well it could be part of Mums dementia but I would advise that you ask to speak to whoever is in charge of the ward. You need some clear answers. If you are informed of what other tests have been done you may be reassured that no stone has been left unturned.

Take care

Lyn T XX

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Oh dear. I am sorry. Your poor mum. When my mum was in hospital, I got the impression that things were kept ticking over during weekends and holidays. The consultant/main doctor re-appeared on Mondays. I am wondering if lab technicians etc are running a reduced service over Christmas...

Lyn is right. You need to speak to someone in charge. If I were you, if you can't get any answers today, I would find out when the doctors are doing their rounds tomorrow and be there to quiz them mercilessly! Don't be fobbed off. If they want to say it is the dementia, ask them to explain exactly how dementia causes low oxygen levels etc.

One other thing which produced results (a doctor) for me, was to break down in hysterical sobbing in front of the wonderful sister, who immediately went scurrying off to find one.

mtsg

Sep 30, 2012
Hi everyone e thank you for comments sorry Ive not replied til now , mum back at CH but on nursing wing now she still not eating or if she does it's the tiniest bit she still drinking though, the doctors have been to assess her they have stopped her meds except paracetamol they eve stopped her alzimers meds as they said not doing anything for her now. She sleeps all day . We waiting for the meeting with docs .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA