We can't keep mum at our care home - Merry Xmas!

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
Just been to visit mum at her care home and the manager has said we're going to have to find somewhere else for her. She's been there for 3-4 weeks and was just beginning to get used to it.

It's not the manager's fault but she could have left it until after christmas. I was beginning to feel like I could have some time away from mum knowing that she was safe, and starting to feel happy again (it's been a long time since that happened). Now I have a painful lump in my throat at the thought of having to move poor mum again. Merry bloody Christmas.

Now I've got to put on my smiley happy face for the kids. Ho ho oh.

Wishing everyone a happy holiday. I hope it goes painlessly and you have fun.

Chook
xx

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
No no no, sorry if I gave that impression. Blimey could you imagine that?! They said we'll have to sort it out in the first week in January because social services aren't at work until then. Even so, I could have done without the worry and pain on Christmas Eve.

xx

Pepper&Spice

Aug 4, 2014
Hi Chook - ditto. Mum iniatially went in for respite but it was obvious she had deteriorated too far to be safe to come home. We have now extended her week's stay four times - have been in panic mode each time as I have no idea where she's going to go. Adult care have just told me that they can't find a place for her yet (she was due out Sat !!!) and that to extend her stay, fortunately the manager is very good and as it's a new place they don't have many bookings. Adult care are not prepared to let her stay there permanantly as it's way above the council rate ( but then so is everywhere, it's just this is more expensive than most). Haven't been able to celebrate Christmas at all for the worry ( keep having chest pains - other half worries but I know it's most likely anxiety :()
At least our loved ones are safe for the moment :D
Take care and may you have a Peaceful Christmas,
Love P

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
Hi Chook - ditto. Mum iniatially went in for respite but it was obvious she had deteriorated too far to be safe to come home. We have now extended her week's stay four times - have been in panic mode each time as I have no idea where she's going to go. Adult care have just told me that they can't find a place for her yet (she was due out Sat !!!) and that to extend her stay, fortunately the manager is very good and as it's a new place they don't have many bookings. Adult care are not prepared to let her stay there permanantly as it's way above the council rate ( but then so is everywhere, it's just this is more expensive than most). Haven't been able to celebrate Christmas at all for the worry ( keep having chest pains - other half worries but I know it's most likely anxiety :()
At least our loved ones are safe for the moment :D
Take care and may you have a Peaceful Christmas,
Love P

What a nightmare and I'm with you on the chest pains. I've been to the docs a few times saying I think I'm going to have a heart attack but I've been told it's anxiety. I don't want to go down the med route.

I don't think the professionals realise what a stress it is for us. I just want mum to be settled and happy and every move is devastating for someone with dementia. She's gone from living in her own home, to living in a place near me, into two different hospitals and then into her current care home. That would confuse me, never mind her.

I hope you get your mum sorted and have a good christmas yourself. Deep breaths!

xx