Hospital chaos - HELP

Niloc

Dec 18, 2013
Been a while since I was on here, but I am in crisis. Mum has Alzheimer's for the last 8years, she is 85. I am an only child and packed up work 1 year ago to help Dad(82) to look after her at home as he refused to see her go into a home even for rest bite , they have been together for 60 years. The whole issue of care packages and homes are a no no with Dad, and last year reached a crisis, but have to say we got into a new routine with meds like Risperidone, Lorezapin, Aricept to cope with the Sundowning, aggravation and anxiety Mum was having.

Each day was a challenge , but we got through. however welfare wise things have not been good and for months have suggested we need help as Dad despite all best efforts is not coping again. The answer again was no so I stayed with them even longer , 6 days a week 9 hours a day. Then on Saturday dismayed struck when I wasn't there, Mum unbeknown to my Dad had gone out the front door and fell.

Within half an hour we were in an abundance on the way to A&E at this point Mum was quiet coherent chatting to the ambulance staff and was certainly aware.

She was x rayed and told she had a fractured pelvis, and also a water infection. They put her onto a ward that night and dad and I stayed with her. In the morning the Drs came to see her said they would be looking to manage her pain, and then in a week or so look at some physio. They were made very aware of Mums Alzheimer's. And what gad been happening aT home. They said that the following day a Care team would come in and see Mum and discuss with us, the options going fwd. then all out of the blue at 3:00' the senior nurse came you d and said Mum was being moved to an other hospital that afternoon. The hospital would be a rehabilitation ward. At this point Mum was so deep in sleep that I said I didn't want her moved but they insisted. There were 4 medical people shouting Mums name to try and wake her they could get any response and again I said I wanted her blood pressure and pulse checked before she was to be moved. They did this as said all was ok.

We then went down with hefty patient transport where we waited 4hours in which time mum rallied but became very confused.

My saga goes on and gets worse as she has now been in the rehabilitation ward for 3 days , despite telling the staff on admission Mum does not take her tablets very well and needs support, I went in the following morning only to find they had given up trying to administer her Meds.

I am now in the ward from 10:00 till 18:00 and then returning at 22:00 trying to feed her, give her the meds myself which is working. However she is almost in a permanent sleep, they ran out of antibiotics yesterday so has not really had more than1 days treatment for water infection, she is severely constipated, but again unless I am there will not get the ."opening meds " in her.

They have changed all her normal meds around, leaving her poor body, mind and dear I say in Soul absolutely lost.

Yesterday I had meetings with the Chief Nursinging officer on the ward, the consultant , the doctor and each time they change what the other ones course of action is.

Meanwhile I feel I am loosing my Mum because either they don't understand or just feel she shouldn't have been sent to them

Along with this my poor Dad is distraught he doesn't understand any of this, and to be honest nor do I .

I need help for my Mum or else I am going to loose her, because in the midst of all this pain managemt is going out the window. They even said they may give her a morphine liquid for pain, IF SHE ASKS FOR IT? Does this sound like a team that understands Alzheimer's.

Please please help

Pepper&Spice

Aug 4, 2014
Oh Niloc I'm so very sorry everything has got so bad for you. I can't offer any practical advice as I have been lucky (so far) not to be in anything like the same position but I do send all the support and strength to you I can and hope that today brings some more positive news for you. Hang in there - is it worth speaking to her GP and seeing if he can help ? I despair sometimes of how little the "professionals" seem to understand dementia in all it's forms, especially the confusion and communication aspects. Your poor mum - surely her meds could be given in liquid form, at least the important ones ? I also worry about you - have you contacted CarersUK ? They will offer you support and may be able to help on a practical level - you mustn't keep trying to do this on your own, it's too hard.
Please take care,
Love P

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
So sorry, what a dreadful situation. Have you tried the Alz nstional help line?
Also, what is your mums prognosis? Liquid morphine is usual only for those who are very poorly. Maybe others here will have more information for you.
Wishing you strength.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Dear Niloc,

Your experience chimed with me as my mum was sent to a rehab ward after having had an unexplained fall at home and confusion following, for 4 weeks just before her dementia was diagnosed - it was at this point it was dawning on me that something had changed in her permanently for the worse.

Unfortunately the care in a rehab ward really is more aimed at those who have been physically unwell but mentally intact rather than those also with dementia - it seems more about encouraging independent care again as a person recuperates following a physical ailment towards returning home again.

And this despite the fact that the patients tend to be elderly, and the staff should be more aware (ironic understatement!) of the possibility that dementia may mean that the patient just cannot be self-motivated, personally responsible or independent.

Thus my mum was left to toilet, dress, medicate etc herself with very little help or encouragement. And her meds were changed at whim according to that day's doctor or availability, and not given on time.

Back to being your Mum's noisy advocate, unfortunately. Do you have a patient liaison service at your hospital, if you feel you aren't being listened to? That can really help to be taken seriously, as it sounds as though despite your best efforts you are hitting brick walls with your mum' scare.

Rehab can be very useful, but only if the staff are willing to be flexible according to the patients needs, not just be a watchful eye.

annie h

Jun 1, 2013
Hi Niloc, so sorry to hear about your problems. They sound incredibly familiar to me. My mother was in hospital last December, long story but I've been through a formal complaints process and one of the things I raised was pain assessment. It's generally badly managed in advanced dementia. There is a relevant page on the AS site describing some research done on pain assessment in dementia sufferers "Improving hospital treatment for people with dementia!:
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=1432

You must check that they are using appropriate pain assessment methods, not just asking her if she is in pain which is totally inappropriate for someone with advanced dementia. They should be using a non-verbal assessment method. There are several of these I believe. Ask which non-verbal method is used in their trust and whether it's been used on your mum. Look it up on the internet to see whether you can gain some view on whether they are using it properly. I will never forgive myself for allowing my mother to be in terrible pain because, when I was asking the nurses if they could give her more pain relief and they were saying she'd had all she was allowed, the truth was that the doctors hadn't prescribed stronger pain relief because they were asking her orally whether she was in pain and she was incapable of providing a reasoned answer. I only discovered this by seeing her notes in the complaints process. Our hospital is now applying non-verbal methods more systematically , but it's quite likely a rehab hospital may not have got there yet

Whatever you do, keep on fighting.