Care Home Search part 2

Pepper&Spice

Aug 4, 2014
Ok I admit it I am struggling with feeling overwhelmed with panic :eek: LA will fund ridiculously low amount which no care home price comes near. Have rung over 30 places and so many are way way beyond that price and then we get the "nice" talk of top up !! Every home costs more than I earn ( I'm definitely in the wrong job money wise) so can only fund a small amount extra and that rules out 99% of homes. Have spent the day visiting various ones and am feeling really down, how can I put mum in one of these places ? I feel I'm being pushed into a corner and will be forced to take what's available because cannot afford ( nor will the LA fund ) any more respite where she currently is staying. I'm terrified of making the wrong decision, after all this is where I would like mum to be for the rest of her life so it needs to be right. I have more phoning tomorrow and with Christmas galloping towards us I know nothing will happen at the end of the week ! Which is also when mum is due to leave her current place. Why is everything so very difficult and stressful ?

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Have the LA given you the names of any homes that will accept their payment as being payment in full? Because they have to do that, and if they can't, they have to up their rate.

Pepper&Spice

Aug 4, 2014
Have the LA given you the names of any homes that will accept their payment as being payment in full? Because they have to do that, and if they can't, they have to up their rate.

Thanks Jennifer didn't know that. Will get on to them tomorrow - unfortunately the care worker assigned to mum is on leave for a fortnight so will have to push for a duty officer to help.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
They might try to fob you off with "we aren't permitted to recommend homes" (because they aren't) but that's a red herring. If they have a set rate they pay for a person with your mother's needs they need to be able to justify that that rate is actually one that is accepted by a home that can meet your mother's needs, not simply something they have pulled out of thin air. Now it might turn out that those homes are totally unacceptable, but even if they are, it might be possible to use that fact to leverage them into increasing their contribution (yes, they'll say they can't but in fact they can if it is necessary).

I'll have a look around and see what I can find with regard to documentation on this issue.

Here's one to be going on with http://www.lgo.org.uk/news/2012/oct/southampton-council-criticised-care-home-top-up-fees

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
And you might want to look at this and the documents on that page

http://www.independentage.org/campaigning/secret-subsidy/our-secret-subsidy-reports/

And this is the law on this issue

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...idance-on-choice-of-residential-accommodation

Councils should not seek resident or third party contributions in cases where the council itself decides to offer someone a place in more expensive accommodation in order to meet assessed needs, or for other reasons. Where there are no placements at the council’s usual rate, councils should not leave individuals to make their own arrangements having determined that they need to enter residential accommodation and do not have care and attention otherwise available to them. In these instances, councils should make suitable alternative arrangements and seek no contribution from the individual other than their contribution as assessed under the National Assistance (Assessment of Resources) Regulations 1992. Councils must never encourage or otherwise imply that care home providers can or should seek further contributions from individuals in order to meet assessed needs.

my bold

Pepper&Spice

Aug 4, 2014
Thank you so much Jennifer for the help and advice. After pushing Adult Care and telling them all the ones I'd tried they are now willing to do some searching for me and negotiate price. :) Feeling a little less stressed as it felt like it was all down to me and as it will be (hopefully) mum's forever home it was the most important decision I would make for some time.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Wow P and S I am really pleased you got a result! Well some help at any rate. What a relief. It's amazing what a bit of co operation from the very people who are supposed to be there to help can do.

halojones

May 7, 2014
Hi pepper, Great information from Jennifer, I need to know all of this as well....Am thinking of you pepper, it must be really difficult for you, and its all so much worse being Xmas....I do hope you get the right help and can find your mum the right c.h....It must be really awful, I can only imagine being in your position, i do hope it all gets a bit better for you and your mum soon...Take Care xxx

Last edited:

Pepper&Spice

Aug 4, 2014
Hmm maybe i was being overly optimistic that the LA was prepared to listen to me. Have contacted the Adult Care officer currently dealing with mum's case and had this ( in writing which is always good if i wish to go futher with this) :-

"The £437 per week is XXX’s Expected to Pay Rate (EPR), this would be the highest rate the County Council will pay for someone with your mothers needs for respite and residential care. Anything above this would be need to be topped up by a 3rd Party (family members etc)."
I have now replied, playing hardball :)
"I am ,however, not happy that the Council rate is so low.
I cannot afford top up much above this as I only earn just over £1,000 a month . I have checked up and the Council are required by law to set their rate by what is available.
Please can you give me examples of the homes that actually charge this rate as, as you are aware, I have not found any in XXXXXXXXXXX approaching this figure."
I have also said that I am quite happy to contact the Local Government Ombudsman if necessary.
Will see what happens - just wish it wasn't necessary to do battle like this - everything is a fight and they wonder why carer's struggle to cope, the disease is bad enough without all the additional hassle they place on you :(
Wow quick response - think he's being careful in his reply but sounds like it might be ok ;)
"If because of the situation and the urgency of respite care the only home we can find with a bed available to meet your mothers needs will only accept above the Expected to Pay Rate we may have to look into paying this at this time. We of course try to place at a home that takes the EPR in the first instance if there is no top up available however if these homes are unable to meet your mothers needs we may then need to look at other homes who only accept a higher rate and paying this rate. Given the urgency of the situation we may need to look into this and have been known to pay above the rate in the past where the needs of the person, urgency and availability requires us too."
Still think they will try to get out of it so any further information or advice will be most welcome. I don't want in the cheapest possible, I want her somewhere that will give her the care and attention she needs.
STRESS STRESS STRESS !!!

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You're on the right track Pepper, as you can probably tell by the swiftness of their reply (in Christmas week yet ;)). The only point I would add is, I wouldn't, personally, place too much emphasis on what you can or cannot afford to pay: it legally is none of their business.

I would keep this point in mind from the above communication

We of course try to place at a home that takes the EPR in the first instance if there is no top up available however if these homes are unable to meet your mothers needs we may then need to look at other homes who only accept a higher rate and paying this rate.

Your mother's needs are not just her medical and care needs but also her right to have her social needs met, which will mean they can't place her somewhere where you are unable to visit for example.

Rubbish with the "may" - they will have to. And they know it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger