Another financial assessment!

Cathy67

Apr 16, 2014
Essex
I got a letter yesterday informing me that we would have another assessment for mum in January. This after I had received another invoice from the council stating mum owes almost 10k. I almost went out and tried to pay it all in one go on Thursday, but thankfully didnt. I am somewhat confused as to why another one is needed but I suppose things may be clearer in January.

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
Hi cathy, i am not sure of mum`s situation but have you thought about an application for continuous healthcare costs?
It may help if there is a sw involved or you can request an assessment yourself for mum. Best wishes steve.

Orlando

Feb 13, 2012
Ashford Kent
Continuing Care

Well my husband has had Dementia for 8 years now and up till now I have always taken care of him.
Doctor changed his tablets then 9 DAYS later he was not walking,could not feed him self ,wash or shave ,In fact he can sleep and breath and all body function. I myself am disabled and can no long life him.He had to be taken into hospital after a bad fall.We had an assessment ,yes you've got it we didn't get it.His not bad enough.So not sure how bad you have to be to get Continuing Care.Everyone tells me talk to someone.Well I have spoken to so so many people and they all just nob and agree with everything I say.We own our house ,we have a little bit put by .Unfortunately since my husband had to pack up work we have used most of our saving.My husband has now got to go into care and yes we have to pay for it.Well you cant get blood out of a stone.So now what happens.Yes I can understand that noone is listening to you but they are all earning large wage packets do nothing for the people who really need HELP.

clareglen

Jul 9, 2013
Cumbria
So not sure how bad you have to be to get Continuing Care.
I've heard of people who have died & just before they did were told not bad enough. I read about dementia being a medical condition & that care should be paid for by NHS but the sentence contradicted itself by saying different in all areas. It would be worthwhile someone/a group challenging NHS about paying for dementia care. No budget for it though I suppose. If your savings are below the current threshold for contributions you shouldn't have to pay. And if you are living in your own house they can't value your husband's share as you are still living there. It shouldn't be counted. Someone on here will be more knowledgeable.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
I've heard of people who have died & just before they did were told not bad enough. I read about dementia being a medical condition & that care should be paid for by NHS but the sentence contradicted itself by saying different in all areas. It would be worthwhile someone/a group challenging NHS about paying for dementia care. No budget for it though I suppose. If your savings are below the current threshold for contributions you shouldn't have to pay. And if you are living in your own house they can't value your husband's share as you are still living there. It shouldn't be counted. Someone on here will be more knowledgeable.

My step mother was violent as a result of her dementia and several medics and the social worker said she could not be let out.

I had been left my parental bungalow on condition I let my step mother live in it until death or entering care.

I showed the LA the land certificate which confirmed I was the total owner, my father's will and the life time tenancy agreement.

The social worker kept on saying that the fact my step mother was married to my father overrode all this.

After a wile I invited the LA to take me to court but it never happened.

My step mother was granted CHC funding but she only lasted a week in care.

William