What to do next? Needs medical treatment Urgently

Bubsho

Oct 24, 2013
London
I am currently in a catch 22 situation. My father is currently in hospital awaiting a further colonoscopy as the previous one in outpatients was inconclusive. His mental health has deteriorated because of the bleeding he is experiencing causing my Mum a lot of distress and he has also been very aggressive towards her lashing out etc. Unfortunately the colonoscopy has not been carried out as he has been aggressive in the ward and refuses the test. They want to discharge him and go back to the outpatients route for tests. However my Mum does not feel able whilst he is in distress to handle him on her own within the home. I explained this to the nurse and now they have suggested placing him somewhere temporarily but I am concerned that he is not receiving the medical treatment he needs and they are simply washing there hands of him as he refuses the tests recommended. The hospital also performed a capacity test on my father and said that he was not able to make decisions for himself. Yet they are quick to discharge him back to my Mum? This doesn't make any sense. My plan is to have his Alzheimers needs met by someone professional whilst they carry out these much needed tests can this be done? Does anyone have experience of dealing with a reluctant Alzheimers patient refusing much needed tests?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Don't let them discharge him until Social Services have done an assessment and the deterioration has been taken into account, he may be a danger to himself and others if he's become aggressive. From the sound of it the tests are pretty important ones so a solution needs to be found so don't let them talk you into taking him home until something is agreed. It does look like involving social services would be the best option right now.
K

Bubsho

Oct 24, 2013
London
Don't let them discharge him until Social Services have done an assessment and the deterioration has been taken into account, he may be a danger to himself and others if he's become aggressive. From the sound of it the tests are pretty important ones so a solution needs to be found so don't let them talk you into taking him home until something is agreed. It does look like involving social services would be the best option right now.
K

They have assured me he will not be sent home, I'm just worried where they are going to send him?

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
There are so many grueling, unnecessary tests these days, and they so often result in no result except to have more tests! If they can do something for the bleeding, do that; proceed as though the tests showed whatever they suspect. Focus on getting him someplace where he can get calm and stable and reevaulate in a few weeks.

Bubsho

Oct 24, 2013
London
There are so many grueling, unnecessary tests these days, and they so often result in no result except to have more tests! If they can do something for the bleeding, do that; proceed as though the tests showed whatever they suspect. Focus on getting him someplace where he can get calm and stable and reevaulate in a few weeks.

This was my logic, I hope that the "someplace" will calm him down

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012

Bubsho

Oct 24, 2013
London
I would ask for a 'best interest' meeting.

You need to speak to the Consultant who is looking after your Dad not nurses or other Doctors.
Ring the ward and ask for an urgent appointment to meet the Consultant or ring the hospital switchboard and ask for 'Mr/Dr So and So's' secretary, he/she will then arrange a time for you to have a meeting.

http://www.bestinterests.org.uk/best_interests/

http://www.bestinterests.org.uk/case_studies/

I've got a meeting now with the nurse on Friday to talk about moving forward in terms of dads care and Mums respite. Just one step at a time eh!

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I am wondering if this factsheet on here about hospital discharge will be of any help
back in a mo with the link.
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=173.

I agree , a best interests meeting is required before being discharged from hospital.. this is done by a multi disciplinary team, which should include , the Consultant, nursing staff, hospital Social worker and yourself, so please ensure this happens., as Garnuft has already said , it is not down to the nurses.

Last edited:

Bubsho

Oct 24, 2013
London
I am wondering if this factsheet on here about hospital discharge will be of any help
back in a mo with the link.
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=173.

I agree , a best interests meeting is required before being discharged from hospital.. this is done by a multi disciplinary team, which should include , the Consultant, nursing staff, hospital Social worker and yourself, so please ensure this happens., as Garnuft has already said , it is not down to the nurses.

Thank you for this x