incontinence problems

wonderwoman

Sep 12, 2012
Anybody any idea how to stop my dad from removing pad and using anything and everything, as a toilet it is so upsetting not to mention disgusting. Don't think i can cope any longer tried pull ups pad etc he just removes them all.

He is unable to recognize what the toilet is for screams like a baby if you try to guide him there but removes pads trousers and urinates in corner of room.

BabyBoomer

Oct 13, 2014
Hi there, sorry not come across this problem personally, how distressing for you - but probably not for him which is one positive note. Would it work to put a commode in corner of room, if it usually the same place he is drawn to? Perhaps it's the bathroom/toilet room he does not like, is it dark or small ? It's the only idea I have im afraid. Hope you find something that works for you both.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
It could be that your Father has a problem with his spatial awareness - he is not seeing the toilet. If the wall behind the toilet is a similar colour then the two merge together. A coloured toilet seat might help, bright red seems to be the colour to use. My husband could not see the fridge which was white against a pale cream wall.

Men will be used to facing a wall as in a public toilet so if the bathroom no longer has a toilet that he can see he will use a wall. It is the dementia causing the problem. Not easy to sort and other than an all in one suit that fastens at the back it will be difficult to keep a pad on if he is intent on taking it off. Like many of the strange behaviours we encounter Hopefully it will pass.

Jay

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area
Anybody any idea how to stop my dad from removing pad and using anything and everything, as a toilet it is so upsetting not to mention disgusting. Don't think i can cope any longer tried pull ups pad etc he just removes them all.

He is unable to recognize what the toilet is for screams like a baby if you try to guide him there but removes pads trousers and urinates in corner of room.

Basically your dad needs more care than you can give. Suggestions:

Visit GP and descibe all the incontinence issues/resistance towearing pads/ resistance to guiding towards the toilet.
They should be able to
1. Engage social services to get you an updated Carers Assessment. I would be asking persistantly for a trained Carer to visit to help toilet and change your dad.
2. Set up a visit for you from the Incontinence Advisor nurse, to help you with practical help such as strategies and resources

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan