assessment

LAP

Nov 23, 2010
Tyne & Wear
Can anyone give me an idea of the assessment questions made by a social worker.

The consultant contacted social services and suggested that John and I may appreciate some sort of respite care. I look after him 24/7. I think that he realised that I could do with a few hours off.

My daughter had heard that the assessment would be quite lengthy. I would appreciate some knowledge before he/she comes to see John and I.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Presumably this is a carers assessment? The one I had started with a few questions about my husband and his diagnosis, GP. Then goes on to 'your caring situation' , how long you've been caring, how many hours per week, whether the person can be left alone at all, anyone who shares caring role, your health, what would happen to the person you care for if you were ill, what commitments you have other than caring - work, family etc. It then asks about your relaxation, hobbies, exercise, study.

The next section lists loads of tasks/problems that you may have to help your husband with and then goes on to ask what help you receive, whether he attends day care or other form of respite or if you have help from home care worker, meals on wheels etc.

Then goes on to affect caring is having on you e.g. Lack of sleep, impact on family life, relationship problems, financial strain, your own health and so on.

Finally it asks about what outcomes, what you'd like to change about your current situation, if you still wish to provide care, and what would help you most.

I assume other Local Authorities would ask similar questions. Hope that helps, but it's important to make sure you really think about what you want to do that you can't now because of your husband's care needs, even if it's going out for a coffee with friends, or having a massage, going swimming, shopping or whatever.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Last edited:

LAP

Nov 23, 2010
Tyne & Wear
Presumably this is a carers assessment? The one I had started with a few questions about my husband and his diagnosis, GP. Then goes on to 'your caring situation' , how long you've been caring, how many hours per week, whether the person can be left alone at all, anyone who shares caring role, your health, what would happen to the person you care for if you were ill, what commitments you have other than caring - work, family etc. It then asks about your relaxation, hobbies, exercise, study.

The next section lists loads of tasks/problems that you may have to help your husband with and then goes on to ask what help you receive, whether he attends day care or other form of respite or if you have help from home care worker, meals on wheels etc.

Then goes on to affect caring is having on you e.g. Lack of sleep, impact on family life, relationship problems, financial strain, your own health and so on.

Finally it asks about what outcomes, what you'd like to change about your current situation, if you still wish to provide care, and what would help you most.

I assume other Local Authorities would ask similar questions. Hope that helps, but it's important to make sure you really think about what you want to do that you can't now because of your husband's care needs, even if it's going out for a coffee with friends, or having a massage, going swimming, shopping or whatever.

Hi Jinx
Many thanks. This gives me a good idea of the type of questions the social worker will be asking.

A coffee with friends - a day out on my own shopping or with my daughter. This would be bliss. A massage sounds pure heaven. My husband even sits outside in the car when I go to the hairdresser.

I am going to compile a list of EVERYTHING I do for my husband in a 24 hour period, because although he is only in the middle stage of alzheimers, certainly our friends have no idea of the strain we, as carers are under at times.

Cheers

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Hi LAP glad it was of help. My OH also requires 24/7 supervision, I work full time, from home mainly, but do have to go away on business at times. I laid all this on the line plus leisure pursuits and have been granted 54 hours per month. I have gone for direct payments, which suited my needs so I can buy in care as and when I need it. I have to pay for anything over and above but if I find my contribution creeping up I shall ask for a review. Good luck with yours, time to yourself is so important to kept the batteries charged I find!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

pony-mad

May 23, 2014
Mid-Wales
Hi, I am in the middle of a carers assessment at the moment. We had an initial meeting when the social worker asked general questions and told us what could be offered. All seemed fine. OH sat at the table nodding in the appropriate places, then after she left, he went into melt-down:eek: Crying and saying he didn't want to go to that building (I think he meant day centre, but he is also fearful of the "care Home") I had such a terrible few days after the meeting that I cancelled the next one! I have since spoken to her on the phone and she has agreed that they will fund my sister to provide some respite hours for me to have some me time (what I would really like is to go back to teaching maybe 1 day a week as I miss it!!! the children anyway not the mountains of paperwork) She has also said that I can give her written answers to the questions that would possibly upset my OH. I will let you know how I get on.
ps My husband comes in the hair-dressers with me!!! And when I go to the dentist he followed me in to see the dentist and I had to persuade him to go back into the waiting room :rolleyes:

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
My husband hates day care 'school' as he calls it but I am persevering. fortunately the consultant at the memory clinic told him it was good for him to go so I keep reminding him. He also accompanies me to the hairdresser but our village one has a coffee shop at the back so he sits there with a cuppa and they're very good with him. I'm also lucky that my husband doesn't object to having carers in the house. He actually told me when I was only just beginning to admit to myself that we had a problem that he didn't like being left on his own when I was away with work.

Ponymad, I hope the assessment goes OK. I'm surprised that your SW did the assessment in front of your husband. I was given the forms to complete and then the SW went through them, but he came when B was at day care so that we could discuss my needs properly.

Last edited:

LAP

Nov 23, 2010
Tyne & Wear
Hi LAP glad it was of help. My OH also requires 24/7 supervision, I work full time, from home mainly, but do have to go away on business at times. I laid all this on the line plus leisure pursuits and have been granted 54 hours per month. I have gone for direct payments, which suited my needs so I can buy in care as and when I need it. I have to pay for anything over and above but if I find my contribution creeping up I shall ask for a review. Good luck with yours, time to yourself is so important to kept the batteries charged I find!

Hi Jinx
Had a telephone call 30 minutes ago from social services. They are interested in our finances as part of the first part of the assessment only. Proof of income, investments and bank balances to see if there would be a cost to them initially.
Nothing else this meeting.

LAP

Nov 23, 2010
Tyne & Wear
Hi, I am in the middle of a carers assessment at the moment. We had an initial meeting when the social worker asked general questions and told us what could be offered. All seemed fine. OH sat at the table nodding in the appropriate places, then after she left, he went into melt-down:eek: Crying and saying he didn't want to go to that building (I think he meant day centre, but he is also fearful of the "care Home") I had such a terrible few days after the meeting that I cancelled the next one! I have since spoken to her on the phone and she has agreed that they will fund my sister to provide some respite hours for me to have some me time (what I would really like is to go back to teaching maybe 1 day a week as I miss it!!! the children anyway not the mountains of paperwork) She has also said that I can give her written answers to the questions that would possibly upset my OH. I will let you know how I get on.
ps My husband comes in the hair-dressers with me!!! And when I go to the dentist he followed me in to see the dentist and I had to persuade him to go back into the waiting room :rolleyes:
Hi Ponymad

Just had phone call. Coming next Friday to -- wait for it--see what our finances are - investments, proof of income savings. Only those items that day to see if there would be any cost to the authority. Hubby has gone ballistic.

Jess26

Jan 5, 2011
Kent
Be sure to describe a "worst day" scenario. Our SS was very good she spoke to my brother and I in a different room before going in mum's room for a chat with her. I would request this.
We also had a visit from the finance officer. He was the one that held up the whole process. Not turning up to first appointment, then canceling the next two !!! :mad:
Best of luck.

jawuk

Jan 29, 2014
Lutterworth, Leicestershire
Hi Ponymad

Just had phone call. Coming next Friday to -- wait for it--see what our finances are - investments, proof of income savings. Only those items that day to see if there would be any cost to the authority. Hubby has gone ballistic.

Remember that only your husband's finances are assessable - your own personal finances are absolutely nothing to do with it.

Silver Lining

Nov 20, 2013
Not in any hurry

From what limited knowledge I have from CPN etc and the way the Dept deal with matters I am holding out as long as I can before complicating our life with the "Red Tape"and lack of sensibility that I have experienced so far. My Husband was phoned by the dept to ask him questions!!!!

I have obtained more "support" from Talking Point - Thank You everyone.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Hi Jinx
Had a telephone call 30 minutes ago from social services. They are interested in our finances as part of the first part of the assessment only. Proof of income, investments and bank balances to see if there would be a cost to them initially.
Nothing else this meeting.

Hi LAP

That certainly wasn't the way our Council handled it. A Carers assessment was done first and from that they decided what support they could offer and then the Financial Assessment people came and wanted payslips, bank statements, Pension details etc. after that they decided if OH had to pay anything. Don't forget they take into account household bills, rent or mortgage if applicable and assume that he pays half. As we still have a mortgage which I massively overpay each month they accepted that he paid half, which wiped out his own income so he doesn't have to contribute. I would query the fact you haven't had the assessment yet. Good luck.

LAP

Nov 23, 2010
Tyne & Wear
The SW should not get involved with finances.

They have a duty to establish needs and therefore should carry out both a
>>>COMMUNITY CARE ASSESSMENT<<<
and a
>>>CARER's ASSESSMENT<<<

After any needs have been determined the financial assessment should be carried out by a finance officer.

Hi nitram. Many thanks for your input, you are obviously knowledgeable in this field. Thank heavens for this site.

I actually saw my financial advisor this morning about an ISA of my husbands, and he reminded me that by having the bungalow and some investments in a family trust, the local authority cannot touch anything. I paid a lot of money in 2010 to ring fence these, never realising that the trust would be money well spent.

I was checking the trust documents last night, the letter from the trust solicitors states categorically that if "care" is ever needed, they have to be contacted immediately and I, or my daughter must NOT sign anything with social services or the local authority as they deal with everything.

Lets hope this works next Friday.
In the meantime I am about to make a new will making my daughter my beneficiary. With the trust, this will not cost me anything so better to be safe and sure.

I have checked the amount that we have in 2savings" that is not in the trust and it only amounts to 12k, hakf of course is mine.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You seem to have most aspects covered.

Don't give the SW any definite financial information, it's none of their business.

Having said it would be inappropriate for me to suggest that they went away thinking that you were well heeled and would not require any LA funding.

Counter subterfuge with subterfuge!!!

LAP

Nov 23, 2010
Tyne & Wear

Don't give the SW any definite financial information, it's none of their business.

Having said it would be inappropriate for me to suggest that they went away thinking that you were well heeled and would not require any LA funding.

Just what my financial advisor said today. Keep scum - all I have to do is to keep my husband tight lipped !!!!

Keep you informed.
Lillian

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Just prime him to say "s*d off, it's none of your business, now how are you going to help me?'

Or words to that effect.

pony-mad

May 23, 2014
Mid-Wales
Hi Lap and Jinx

Had 2nd meeting with social worker this evening. She left me with the form to fill in myself as there is never a time when she can meet with me on my own. She has suggested that I ask for 8hours per week which would enable me to do a days supply teaching (eventually). I might also ask for 2 hours to ride my horse as well :D All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, as my Mum used to say!!! She will "take it to the panel" and I should hear in a couple of weeks, so fingers crossed.
OH was very distressed while she was here, and I think she was able to appreciate how emotionally demanding he has been for the last 3 years.
Lap, I wish you all the best with your assessment. I think that SWs understand their responsibility to the carer, or maybe they realise that if they don't, they will be the ones to pick up the pieces!!!:rolleyes:

Zsazsa

Jul 20, 2014
Somerset
Nervous about financial assessment

Nitram, you've helped me before and I'd like your input on the latest suggestion by visiting social worker with dementia support worker yesterday. He was suggesting a financial assessment to see if my 85 year old husband would qualify for additional social care, paid visits by befrienders, additional day care, etc. He was diagnosed with AD in July this year.
I'm anxious about this assessment, as although I'd love to have more help for him, I dread all the red tape of getting the necessary paperwork...Also our financial situation is complicated...
We got together late in life and I already had a well paid job and a house in my own name. He brought a small sum, but that eventually all went on his beloved boat, which I actively supported. All our income and savings were jointly enjoyed even if not jointly owned or named. Some of the places we've lived in have been in joint names too.
However, The flat we moved to 3.5 years ago is in my name, as are the savings apart from an ISA in my husband's name. There is no mortgage now.

I do all the banking online and have two accounts in my name, one joint one into which my husband's pensions go. My pensions go into my named account, from which all the direct debits are taken, and I have a small freelance business account.
On paper my husband just has his pensions and the ISA. Will I have to explain all my personal and finance history and explore these differences with the FO?
Sorry this post has gone on a bit!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The LA will be interested in whether or not there has been deliberate deprivation of asset, they will try to show that funds or property were moved out of his name, or joint name, at a time when there were indications that he might need to go into residential care.

The flat is now in your sole name, how long is it since you jointly owned a property?
Equally how long ago is it since you held joint savings?

If all his income goes into his sole account and the only outgoings are for his sole benefit, or a half share of living expenses, there can be no day to day deprivation.

You will have to give the FO details of his ISA and bank account.

You don't have to give any historical details of your finances but if you can show that the change from joint to sole ownership of property and any changes of account details in your interest were well before any indication that he might need residential care it would stop the LA making an accusation of deprivation.

If I were the FO I would be interested in why somebody who runs a small freelance business was not savvy enough to arrange that capital was transferred to the spouse to take advantage of the extra personal allowance, unless of course the spouse had a large pension.