Any tips for moving into nursing home?

LeedsLass

Oct 13, 2014
Essex
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum but from reading a few posts you all sounds like a very caring bunch under incredibly difficult circumstances. I'll try and make this as brief as possible:
Mum has had mild dementia for last 4 years but was admitted to hospital early October with a blood infection which caused various complications. She has been there ever since but has taken a huge hit mentally and physically. Now bedridden, drowsy, incontinent, very confused, hallucinating, you know the score. But she always knows who we are. All happened very quickly. I live over 200 miles away but my 84 year old Dad is still incredibly competent. We have found a care home which she should be moving into in the next week or so. (We looked at 6 over 3 days which was quite depressing and I feel like I am condemning her to death row.)
Of course she just wants to come home and doesn't understand why she can't. Is it best to be honest or perhaps she is convalescing?
Anyway, just wondered what to take in for her? She has lost so much weight I don't know what size she is now. But I imagine special back fastening nighties rather than ordinary ones? Any "day clothes"?
Any advice would be very welcome.

BabyBoomer

Oct 13, 2014
Hi Leedslass, my Dad made the move to NH couple of months ago. So what to take, I took his normal nightwear, the carers will help to dress undress whatever is present. As long as it is practical why change, if it suits now and she likes them id stay with what is familiar. I took 5 pairs trousers, 6 shirts, 6 lightweight jumpers and about the same quantity undies. The most important thing is that everything is labelled. Places like M&S have very good online delivery for sew on labels. It's a pain sewing them on everything ( even linen hankies that Dad prefers) but less trouble in the long run. Mum will have a lot of changes in short space of time so photos and maybe handbag, whatever is special to her. Good luck for the future,

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I hope it goes well for you.

As well to remember that all clothing must be washable at least at 40 deg and tumble-dryable.

Brogues

Apr 13, 2014
A sharpie pen will be your new best friend label EVERYTHING including any photos x