Vengeance is mine!

annie h

Jun 1, 2013
Hi CJW,
I am embroiled in a complaints process with my local hospital about my mother's care a few months ago. I encountered a slight problem at the beginning, although once I was able to persuade them that I was entitled to be considered next of kin they were willing to let me proceed. At that point they were satisfied with the knowledge that although my mother had three children I was her main carer.

However, I have just encountered a new problem with access to her notes which I need to see because I believe they will contradict something that has been stated in the response to my complaint - I assume they don't want to reveal the notes for that reason (Mum died last week so disclosing the info is hardly going to damage her). I found the following information on the NHS Ombudsman's website:

"If you would like help with making a complaint, you can ask your local Healthwatch to put you in touch with the NHS complaints advocacy provider for your area.
For details of your local Healthwatch, see
www.healthwatch.co.uk or call Healthwatch England
on 03000 683 000."

I phoned this number and was put in touch with a local advocacy service in my area. I don't need them to do the advocacy for me as I'm comfortable with doing that myself, but I was able to speak to one of the advocates about my issue and what my rights were and that was very helpful.

There is a link to a pdf with information on the page http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/make-a-complaint
But note that you can't complain to the Ombudsman's office itself until your complain process with the GP is completed. I have assumed this all applies to GPs as well as hospitals although I don't know for sure.

annie h

Jun 1, 2013
an afterthought:

Most importantly, if you're not happy about how they deal with the complaint make sure you say so and cc your complaint about how the complaint was handled to the CQC. That should ensure that the complaint gets properly recorded in the surgery's records of complaints and will also improve the prospects that they deal with it properly and professionally. (I copied my initial complaint to CQC and they asked me to make sure I tell them if I'm not happy with the way the complaint is handled.)

CJW

Sep 22, 2013
Thanks Lin and Annie,
First the most important, Mum has picked up again. Yesterday she was out of bed and full of beans although she cant walk and her speech is getting worse every day she is happy to babble with made up words and every now and then something sensible comes out. thank god for antibiotics and painkillers. if she is ok today I will try to go home tomorrow. I am very grateful for the advice and determined to see my complaint through. Coping with dementia is as you know a real struggle and though I am exhausted I will not give in. This disease takes away everything but I will not allow anyone to take away my responsability as a daughter to take care of my mother and that means the GP has to at least listen to me.
Thanks again to you both. love...

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Hi CJW

I know the most important thing right now is your mother's health, but just to add to lin1's advice for anyone else reading these posts I would add "this authority will remain in force until revoked by me in writing". If practical it might also be an idea to get the signature witnessed.

My Mum signed basic letters without the above phrase some time ago giving the GP surgery and mental health service authority to disclose any data requested to me and / or my sibling, if requested. I kept signed duplicates as I had no confidence that the originals wouldn't "disappear" from their records if needed in a crisis. It has worked fine with the GP surgery but I have had a ridiculous situation with the mental health service saying she might have changed her mind (as I attend all appointments surely their training would enable them to pick up how much she still trusts and depends on me!!). So, as they didn't send a copy of her last test results to my Mum and I waited over a month following my request that they issue a copy to me I ended up getting a copy from the GP surgery. Reading this post has reminded me that I need to get a new letter of authority from Mum in case of future hospital stays - I live in an area where we don't have health & welfare POA system.

CJW - have seen your other post this morning and was sorry to read about your Mum's speech problems - hope things start to improve soon.

CJW

Sep 22, 2013
Mum's health is failing and I have posted on the Middle to later stages forum, but I want to keep this thread going regarding the complaints procedure. The forms arrived today and in fact are asking for my consent so they can investigate the complaint. The process (online) to date has been so efficient that I can almost forgive the red tape.....If I am the one complaining surely it is obvious that I agree to them accessing my mother's records to investigate...but I suppose there is a fine line and they have to respect it. will send the forms back today and let you know what happens. thanks to you all for your advice and support. Love......

CJW

Sep 22, 2013
Just to let you know my complaint has resulted in an apology from the GP concerned and the complaint will be included in her dossier. I am happy that she will now probably think twice before being unkind to anyone who sees her regarding a dementia patient.