sister refuses to let me see my mum

Maureen01

Dec 8, 2014
I have been helping to look after my mum with my sister who is the main carer. She took my keys to mums flat and won't let me in to see her. I get on very well with my mum and have been spending 3 nights a week and whole weekends with her. How can I get to see my mum? I am devastated.:(

Zsazsa

Jul 20, 2014
Somerset
I have been helping to look after my mum with my sister who is the main carer. She took my keys to mums flat and won't let me in to see her. I get on very well with my mum and have been spending 3 nights a week and whole weekends with her. How can I get to see my mum? I am devastated.:(

Hello Maureen01, How very upsetting for you especially as you've been helping out on a regular basis with her care.

I'm wondering how things have got to this state. I also wonder whether you and your sister have had a difficult relationship before she took your keys and what reason she gave for her actions.

Have you tried meeting your sister for a talk about how you go forward with your mum's care and explaining how upset you feel not being able to see your mum.
If she won't listen to you, perhaps you need to ask another relative to intercede for you.

If that doesn't work, you could speak to a social worker or mum's GP. I'm sorry there's no easy answer for you in this difficult situation, but I do feel for you and send you a hug.

Brogues

Apr 13, 2014
None should be denying access to a vulnerable person, call social services I don't know your background story but at the end of the day it's not a decision your sister should be making.

I speak as one whos mum in a confused state thought she was married to a gentleman who took advantage at first social services thought he was her husband then BOOM they realised he wasn't - get yourself some help and fast xx