" A little bit" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Lining

Nov 20, 2013
I had to visit my GP last week, I had a terrible time with my OH behaviour, and she has written to his CMHT Consultant, who states in a letter to my GP regarding new medication, that my OH has "a little bit of Alzheimers"

Eyebrows were raised.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
There with you, Silver Lining :)

Reminds me of a couple of weeks ago, when mum's memory clinic consultant told her she was "doing very well for a lady of her age" :rolleyes: Now what on earth does that mean?!?

I hope you are having a better time with OH :)

All the best

Lindy xx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I had to visit my GP last week, I had a terrible time with my OH behaviour, and she has written to his CMHT Consultant, who states in a letter to my GP regarding new medication, that my OH has "a little bit of Alzheimers"

Eyebrows were raised.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Same as being "a little bit pregnant" I suppose:)
But to be fair it is difficult to get or to give a definitive diagnosis, I'm sure something like "symptoms consistent with AZ" would sound more professional or even "possible early signs of AZ"
K

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
OH was in a foul mood the day he got his diagnosis and he wouldn't let me be there when the consultant told him the news.

Afterwards OH told me that he had a 'little bit of Alzheimer's' and I think that the consultant was very careful in his use of words considering OH's state of mind at the time. OH has been more than happy to make the most of the phrase so that he can continue denying that there is any major problem.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Chattering to a friend the other day who was feeling sad, because her friend had been over and talking about her latest grandson .

This grandson has been diagnosed with Downs syndrome all down one side

New one on me!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Same as being "a little bit pregnant" I suppose:)
But to be fair it is difficult to get or to give a definitive diagnosis, I'm sure something like "symptoms consistent with AZ" would sound more professional or even "possible early signs of AZ"
K

I agree Kevin. The expression is not one you would expect to hear from a consultant (and it does suggest a need for training) but it probably does indicate the lack of certainty that the 'more professional' examples that you quote suggest.

I think, BTW, that this is not first time someone has posted the description on TP so perhaps it is not as uncommon as we might assume?

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
I don't know why but the consultants don't want to give a diagnosis. I don't whether they don't actually know or that they feel holding back it might not worry people. MyOH has had two scans now that each show shrinkage of the brain. That is all I've been told and when I asked the consultants assistant when I could be given a more definitive diagnosis he said he likes to take his time before he decides. How do you read into that. Do they not actually know. I know he can't read, write or find his words anymore. His moods are so extreme I am in constant fear of abuse. But no diagnosis that I can actually take action on. Then the usual help from his family when he tells them that he has not been diagnosed with dementia. I think they think I am giving him all this medication for nothing.
I am alone and suffering constant abuse from his family as they havnt a clue what my day involves and the strain I'm under.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello silverlining l had no problem with a diagnosis, my husbands mother had AD, so l know 6yrs ago my hubby had the same, l told our Dr. My husband has AD, she sent him for a brain scran, within two weeks we got the diagnosis, maybe l was very lucky to have good Dr and consultant, ♥♥♥

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Fred knew there was something wrong about 7 years ago. He was about 78 at the time so we are in a different state than you but he asked me to take over paying the household bills etc, put the car insurance in my name and did whatever he could to put his affairs in order. BUT he went to the GP on several occasions and was told "what do you expect at your age?" I finally got the doctor to refer him to the Memory Clinic after about 3 years as my poor man was becoming incontinent and he didn't even arrange a brain scan, it took MY doctor to do that. Of course, by that time it was too late for any form of medication and we were left to our own devices for a long time. Luckily his GP left and his new one was SO different. Did house calls for him and was very supportive of me. My GP's father had AD and we and her parents became close at the AS coffee mornings. Because of this she is totally in tune with those in a similar situation. Unfortunately he passed away at the end of last year and Fred is in residential care now. I feel very fortunate to have a long and happy marriage and really feel for those of you who are experiencing early onset disease but just wanted to say that lack of professional empathy seems endemic.

Sent from my GT-N5110

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
This grandson has been diagnosed with Downs syndrome all down one side
This may be a "new on on you" Jessbow, but it isn't to me nor to anyone familiar with Down's syndrome.
There are over 260 symptoms connected to DS and nobody has them all and some people have only a few.
What this lady means is that the physical symptoms of DS are evident one one side of the body only.
My grandson has DS and is like this.
For example he has the typical simian fold in his left hand only and likewise, sandal toes on his left foot only, amongst others.
(There was a frontpage picture of Tony Blair holding his hands in the air and showing simian folds on both palms although does not have DS!)

This doesn't detract from the fact that my grandson still has DS of course nor that this lady's does too. It's just that she was telling the truth and is different from this topic.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
When I have asked for further follow up and investigation I have been told, 'What for to tell us what we already know:eek:?' Well, what they 'already know' they haven't the guts to tell me! I am not somebody where withholding a diagnosis may help, I may be a few years down the line but not now and such 'attitudes' only serves to add to any episodes of paranoia I can experience and doesn't help me to discuss things openly with people that are affected because of my condition. I know something is very wrong and I want to be in a position to do what I can to prevent further deterioration and get the right sort of support and help in place whilst I still have some ability to communicate my needs.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Dear Sue J -
I am absolutely furious to think that your medics are not doing all they humanly can to investigate your condition, and to keep you fully informed. They are highly paid "experts". Disgraceful, sounds more like you are justifiably angry at the system rather than suffering from paranoia.

I have felt frustrated enough as next of kin having to fight for info about my Mum's condition, and she no longer has much insight into her problems. Some "experts" seem to think they are there to refer people to a couple of generalised factsheets - that could be done by someone on basic wage!! Rant over, hope you're feeling OK today.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Dear Sue J -
I am absolutely furious to think that your medics are not doing all they humanly can to investigate your condition, and to keep you fully informed. They are highly paid "experts". Disgraceful, sounds more like you are justifiably angry at the system rather than suffering from paranoia.

I have felt frustrated enough as next of kin having to fight for info about my Mum's condition, and she no longer has much insight into her problems. Some "experts" seem to think they are there to refer people to a couple of igeneralised factsheets - that could be done by someone on basic wage!!
Rant over, hope you're feeling OK today.

Thank you Gigglemore, I should do that a bit more (Giggle more), it helps:)

My paranoia is less than it has been but other than brain abberations it is caused by lack of trust and when you don't feel people are honest about their opinions it doesn't help. Thankfully I do now have some counselling which helps as they understand me.

Today's a good day thanks, hope it is for you too.
Best wishes
Sue