Dementias Life Expectancy

stikwik

Oct 31, 2007
Nottingham
i am confused by this subject. part of my research into how to care for my hubby best now has made me wonder how long we have. i KNOW it will vary greatly from person to person, but it seems the most avoided piece of information in all factsheets and information all over the web! i'm sure there must be some snippits of information with patterns possibly. like vascular will be affected by strokes etc is fairly obvious, but there's not much more to know it seems?

anyone know of any factsheets eg within alzheimers society or otherwise, or, personal experience?

not being morbid - i just like to be informed

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Stikwik,
No you are not being morbid. Consultant, Doctors cannot really stay how long a person has. Although I know my husband is in the latter stages at 62 being diagnoise at 58 and is now in a E.M.I. unit since May. I have been told that the deterioration in the under 65's is quick. In my own personal experience this is proving to be fact. All patients are different. Diabeties, chest infections, heart problems. there are so many accomplying illnesses unfortunately they sucumb to.
Some other members may have their experiences to help but at the end of the day we are all in the same situation.
ood Luck. christine

nemesisis

May 25, 2006
my mum is 75 and has been diagnosed with alzheimers over five years ago
when she had her latest fall and broke her hip she had her mobility her lungs and blood/glocose tested before op and said dont worry she has (bless) the body of a fourty year old.
at least 15 years with proper care

Last edited:

SusanR

Apr 29, 2007
WisconsinUSA
I had read somewhere it averaged about 10 years with the vascular dementia. My husband was diagnosed at age 58 in Sept. 1998 and died last month. so we were nine years. I think it also depends on what other medical problems there may be.

Susan

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
My Jan has mixed Alzheimer's and vascular dementias.

She was young/early onset with decline starting at age 51.

Time so far since first symptoms = 16 years

Time so far since diagnosis - 8 years [this took a long time because of course, Jan was too young for them even to consider dementia]

Time so far in a care home = 6 years this month

There is absolutely no way to figure how long there is to go. I look at Jan as an early onset person, then at Connie's Lionel, and many other younger ones I have seen and I find her decline much slower in terms of physical deterioration - wasting of body mass etc - but way faster mentally.

clarethebear

Oct 16, 2007
manchester, uk
HI Stikwik

I'm so sorry it's like the old saying "how long is a peace of string".

My Nanna was diagnosed at the beging of January this year. Prior to last Christmas she was an active lady with no real signs. She was last Friday placed on her death bed. A week has passed and without food or drink for a week and no medication she is still going.

Everyone is different and I don't think anyone can put a time scale of this terrible illness. Athough at times I wish they could so you could prepare yourself, but it just doesn't work like that.

I saw a sign on the back of a car last weekend it said "one life, live it", all you can do with this illness is live your life one day at a time.

I wish you well.

Take Care
Clare:)

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Hi Stikwik,

We have been told with FTD the maximum life span is about 10 years.

I think life expectancy depends on the type of dementia - we have been told that FTD is a very aggressive form of dementia. I suppose it depends as well whether there are other physical health problems.

nickyd

Oct 20, 2007
warwickshire
Hi Stikwik
Mum suffered for 10 years with vascular dementia, we were told she had done so well to last as long as that. I've read on various sites, 5-7 years is an average for VD . So we should be grateful we had her for that long.
Take Good Care, Nicky, xxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77