Medication reminders

Onesie

Nov 23, 2014
My Mum has Alzheimer's and I am her main Carer. I already fill up her dossett box for her and ring her daily to check she has taken her meds. I realise that this doesn't always work and sometimes she gets her days muddled, so she also has a calendar clock as well to help her orientate day and date. Does anyone have any other helpful advice on what works with their loved-one in this situation and further "down the line" as things progress, please?

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
My Mum has Alzheimer's and I am her main Carer. I already fill up her dossett box for her and ring her daily to check she has taken her meds. I realise that this doesn't always work and sometimes she gets her days muddled, so she also has a calendar clock as well to help her orientate day and date. Does anyone have any other helpful advice on what works with their loved-one in this situation and further "down the line" as things progress, please?

For a while we got for Mil, through the memory service, a medication dispenser that could be filled with up to two weeks of meds, each dose in an individual compartment. It would sound a loud buzz at the appropriate time, and only then would the compartment open for Mil to take her pills out. Intially, this worked really well, but only for a few months sadly - she eventually started removing the meds as the box sounded - but then often put them to one side to 'take later' or 'in a minute' and they would be forgotten. Then the alarm started to annoy her, and we would find that in response to the sound, she would try and shut the box up by wrapping it in towels and hiding it under cushions. She also took various kitchen implements to it, to try to open compartments when confusion made her think that the box wasn't working and she was due a dose NOW! :( As a short term measure it was efective, but eventually, the only way we could really keep track was through carers coming in and checking - Mil would only allow them access (with much complaining) once a day, so we still had issues with the evening dose, however.

I think I'd be looking at medi packs from the chemist, and carers coming in to oversee her taking them - if you can get her to agree to this!

Good luck x

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
No help, I'm afraid. I use dosette boxes for our pills. Having seen friends/ relatives search through boxes of pills first thing in the morning, it's not for me, thanks. Need a dose of food and coffee before I can think!
The boxes AnnMac used would be no use as meals are at very variable times.
If OH had been living alone, he would not cope at his stage and would be in a care home.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It sounds like she would benefit from carers coming in administering the pills, talk to adult social services about an assessment. You cannot do it all yourself.

spuddle

Mar 13, 2014
same as ann mac. i got mum the same type of dispenser. i put a label on the top explaining how to make the alarm stop. (put hand over the hole, turn unit upside down, take pill with water). sometimes it works, but again sometimes she gets the pill out and puts it down and forgets about it. i go to her house every couple of days and do a hunt around the house for little yellow pills.
so for us, it mostly works.... a little more training needed

Bramble68

May 11, 2013
My mum coped with a dosette box for a while, then started getting muddled with the days and either under or overdosed, with no harm, though! Now we have the box inside a cash tin with a combination lock, so one of us pops in daily to administer the meds. Bit faffy, but now there are no mistakes.

HTH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix77