How long do Local Authorities take when self funding runs out

Pon

Dec 11, 2011
wales
Hi

My husband has been in an EMI nursing home for 2 years now and has only enough funds to pay Dec and Jan nursing home fees. I'm concerned that the local authority will be unable to sort out his status in time and that the nursing home will tell us that we will have to find another home and it was a nightmare getting a place for him 2 years ago. He receives NHS nursing allowance but not CHC. We live in South East Wales so any experience anyone can pass on to me would be a great help

Thanks

Pon

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello, I thought I'd give this a boost up the list. I guess you've contacted the LA and asked for a re-assessment of your husband's finances. It might be worth having a word again.
Good luck and I hope someone could give you better advice than I can.:)

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
We are currently looking at LA funding, from conversations with SW can take several months but does get back dated. I'm sure if you tell the home they will be patient and realise the wheels of local governments turn very slowly.

I suggest keep them informed. As your husband is currently receiving NHS funding assuming savings fall below a certain level probably just a formality.

I'm sure I read on here somewhere that in cases like this there is an emergency fund until LA finance comes through. Have a look at previous posts/threads there is a lot of info on here.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
As your husband is currently receiving NHS funding assuming savings fall below a certain level probably just a formality.
I think Pon has said that she doesn't receive NHS funding.
The Nursing allowance component of roughly £108, is not full Continuing Health care funding.

I would ring the Social Services up.
I found that, although I had told them that my husband's capital was nearly down to the upper limit, they hadn't passed that information on the the LA financial services for an assessment. Once that had been done, it was all arranged pretty quickly.

Pon

Dec 11, 2011
wales
Thank you for all your replies I have contacted the LA so am relieved that you think they don't take that long and that there is emergency funding I will wait till they LA ring me back before I contact the nursing home. I will keep on top of the LA if they don't do the financial assessment soon.

Thanks for your help

Pon