Looking for advice

TedW

Feb 2, 2014
Corfu, Greece.
Hello, can anyone give advice please?

My wife's mobility has deteriorated to the extent where she needs support when walking and moving around our apartment. To enable me to get her out and about I am seeking out a wheelchair for her but am lost as to what is best for us and what to buy. If anybody with experience of wheelchairs can advise me I would be most grateful.
Our requirements are:
1. It must be able to collapse for the car boot.

2. It must be suitable for me to take it and my wife down ten steps as our apartment is on a first floor. I suspect that one with large rear wheels, an attendant brake and saftey belt would be suitable for this task.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi Ted,

Hun, the very best thing for you to do is request an OT assessment - an OT can take every single factor into account (maybe even some that you wouldn't necessarily think of :) ) and give you the best advice. He or she may also be able to point you in the direction of getting the wheelchair or any other equipment, for free or at a reduced cost. Speak to your GP, or CPN and ask them to get the ball rolling - and make sure they understand that its a safety matter, emphasize the risk of falls - sometimes you have to point out the obvious, in order to prevent it taking forever to get things sorted, sadly.

HTH

Ann x

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
Hi Ted

I notice that you're in Corfu so was wondering what sort of support there is for you out there? Where we are there is a mobility centre that we can go to for advice on this sot of equipment and also places where you can hire a wheelchair so that you can test out whether it's right for you.

Hope you manage to find something suitable.

TedW

Feb 2, 2014
Corfu, Greece.
Hi Ted

I notice that you're in Corfu so was wondering what sort of support there is for you out there? Where we are there is a mobility centre that we can go to for advice on this sot of equipment and also places where you can hire a wheelchair so that you can test out whether it's right for you.

Hope you manage to find something suitable.

Sammyjo 1. As far as I am aware there is no support or advice here other than the salesperson whom I suspect will not give unbiased advice.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Could you speak to some of the hoiday reps in the resorts? they might have a better idea of the problems some of their guests suffer. Ask at the General Hospital if a physio could give you some advice. If the only person to give you advice is the salesman, then ask him to leave you a selection ( one at a time if necessary) so that you can try before you buy.:D

pippop1

Apr 8, 2013
Can you keep the wheelchair in your car's boot?

Presumably your wife can walk down the ten steps you mention as you can't wheel a wheelchair down steps.

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
Hello, can anyone give advice please?

My wife's mobility has deteriorated to the extent where she needs support when walking and moving around our apartment. To enable me to get her out and about I am seeking out a wheelchair for her but am lost as to what is best for us and what to buy. If anybody with experience of wheelchairs can advise me I would be most grateful.
Our requirements are:
1. It must be able to collapse for the car boot.

2. It must be suitable for me to take it and my wife down ten steps as our apartment is on a first floor. I suspect that one with large rear wheels, an attendant brake and saftey belt would be suitable for this task.

Thank you.

Pity about the steps, I suppose it's too many to have a moveable ramp made or even a stairlift. Try to get a light weight w/chair if possible, if you are lifting it in and out of the car.
Best wishes