Mimicking... please stop!

Varandas

Sep 2, 2013
Hampshire England
for the past two weeks I have noticed something different and ... not pleasant!
I am the main carer for a Lady and am getting additional morning help to get the lady up, showered and dressed. The new behaviour is 'mimicking' whatever we say to her during the process of showering, and then after awhile this Lady goes into another stage of almost exhaustion. I can see she is tired.
She is a quiet, gentle, soft spoken and private lady. Her mimicking is only happening when there are two carers with her.
Her mobility is very impaired hence the need of additional help.
Do you have any experiences in this field?

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
This is obviously a phase that has gone on with the stress of having more people around her in close proximity. All I can say is only say positive encouraging things and when she repeats them it won't be too bad.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
This is obviously a phase that has gone on with the stress of having more people around her in close proximity. All I can say is only say positive encouraging things and when she repeats them it won't be too bad.

IMO, an excellent answer Susy. I too think it's stress from feeling overwhelmed, poor lady.

My son, 27, has severe learning difficulties and autism and has mimicked people for the whole of his life. He does it when he is feeling afraid.

Varandas

Sep 2, 2013
Hampshire England
thank you Susy.
Yes I agree that it is due to stress and new faces on a daily basis.
I have requested the Agency to send regular carers, however I was shocked with the reply that it would be 'discrimination'.

For H&S I need another person when getting the lady up and in to shower.

The Lady is well and 'calm' again after a couple of hours.